Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3039539 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #22800 on: 08 October 2021, 19:43:49 »

Is that the same lump as the Volvo D4 circa 2010 :-\

If so, how do you find it?

You pull the little lever in the passenger side footwell, then grope around under the bonnet lip for the catch and when you find and release it, lift the bonnet up and Ta Dah!   There it is!  :y                                       :D  ;D
Saw that coming a fickin mile off mate  ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22801 on: 08 October 2021, 19:54:17 »

You pull the little lever in the passenger side footwell, then grope around under the bonnet lip for the catch and when you find and release it, lift the bonnet up and Ta Dah!   There it is!  :y                                       :D  ;D
Shouldn't you be in bed?

;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22802 on: 08 October 2021, 19:55:09 »

And there was me thinking it was in the boot ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22803 on: 08 October 2021, 20:30:50 »

Try that method on a Boxster and you will be sorely disappointed.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22804 on: 09 October 2021, 02:11:04 »

;D

Couldn't resist it!  ;D    Sorry Al.  :)

In answer to your question though, yes it's fine. Nice and torquey, with plenty of grunt in all gears and decent fuel economy. 40mpg.  :y

Not sure if it's the same lump as the 2010 Volvo D4 tbh. Ford had sold Volvo by then?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22805 on: 09 October 2021, 04:39:24 »

I'd expect nothing less ;D

Considering an XC70 for Mother's convenience, potentially a D5 AWD, but there's a few reasonable looking DriveE wwd around... Apparently a four pot 2.0 Pug/Frod diseasal... 40mpg, is that a manual or Auto :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22806 on: 09 October 2021, 08:12:05 »

I'd expect nothing less ;D

Considering an XC70 for Mother's convenience, potentially a D5 AWD, but there's a few reasonable looking DriveE wwd around... Apparently a four pot 2.0 Pug/Frod diseasal... 40mpg, is that a manual or Auto :-\

Hmm. That's the one my brother had in his V50.  :(

Had endless DPF issues, and just as I was getting to the bottom of it, it decided to fill its sump with fuel and then burn it all through the turbo oil seal.

But that's just modern diesels. In fairness to it, it was used for school run duties almost exclusively.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22807 on: 09 October 2021, 10:08:32 »

Had endless DPF issues, and just as I was getting to the bottom of it, it decided to fill its sump with fuel and then burn it all through the turbo oil seal.

But that's just modern diesels. In fairness to it, it was used for school run duties almost exclusively.
I have endless troubles on the Jag forums for constantly saying people have bought the wrong engine because they mostly do short journeys.

Dr Gollum, if its a car for running your mum around locally, I'd highly recommend you stay away from any diesel from the last decade, as the poor thing will be constantly doing active regens, filling up the sump with diesel.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22808 on: 09 October 2021, 11:40:22 »

I wonder if plods have DPFs (being emissions exempt) as petrols are pretty thin on the ground... Not to mention being auto only (not the strongest of boxes once you put a bit of torque through them) :-\

Shame as they're just the right height for getting in and out. That said, DPFs are probably a good reason to stick with the Barge.

Commute is 26 miles of dual carriageways and roundabouts, so probably won't help re regens either... So I could even say that would be enough of a run.

What year did DPFs start being a thing? Euro 5? With Euro 6 adding Adpiss?
« Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 11:50:03 by Doctor Gollum »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22809 on: 09 October 2021, 11:49:19 »

I wonder if plods have DPFs (being emissions exempt) as petrols are pretty thin on the ground... Not to mention being auto only (not the strongest of boxes once you put a bit of torque through them) :-\

Shame as they're just the right height for getting in and out. That said, DPFs are probably a good reason to stick with the Barge.

Commute is 26 miles of dual carriageways and roundabouts, so probably won't help re regens either... So I could even say that would be enough of a run.
Wifey's commute to Sheffield is around 20 miles, no problems with dpf. People seem very anti diesel just because of the dpf, but we've never had any problems.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22810 on: 09 October 2021, 12:04:58 »

I have as many roundabouts as miles, so a lot of junctions/ stopping and starting. Can't recall if either Insignificant had a dpf or not, but haven't owned a 'modern' (2010/11) diesel long enough to have an issue with one. But they were doing as much distance work as around town and were never cold.

Nowadays, it's either 1-3 miles, commuting, or Norwich (only two more trips up there for now) and the odd run down to the New Forest.

As an aside, I have stumbled on some information that suggests 2010 MY 2.0 manuals don't have DPFs...  :-\ more digging required.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 12:12:51 by Doctor Gollum »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22811 on: 09 October 2021, 12:35:32 »

I have as many roundabouts as miles, so a lot of junctions/ stopping and starting. Can't recall if either Insignificant had a dpf or not, but haven't owned a 'modern' (2010/11) diesel long enough to have an issue with one. But they were doing as much distance work as around town and were never cold.

Nowadays, it's either 1-3 miles, commuting, or Norwich (only two more trips up there for now) and the odd run down to the New Forest.

As an aside, I have stumbled on some information that suggests 2010 MY 2.0 manuals don't have DPFs...  :-\ more digging required.
I'd be very surprised at that, some cars after 06/07 had them fitted, but all cars after 09. From the interweb:

Does my car have a DPF? If it was built after 2009 then it will do. All diesel cars since September 2009 have to be fitted with a DPF in the exhaust to stop this soot passing into the atmosphere. It's part of the Euro 5 standard for diesels but be aware that some cars built before this date also come with DPFs.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2021, 12:39:26 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22812 on: 09 October 2021, 13:16:03 »

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=81813

At least I now know what to look for on the chassis number  ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22813 on: 09 October 2021, 13:19:21 »

There is a bloke who comes to the Bristol ABS meet who works in the maintainace dept for south wales ambulances. He says all the emergency services are having problems with their Diesel DPF's. As you might expect, lots of short rapid journeys, followed by a cold stop and no chance for the regen cycles to complete properly.

They also have issues with the engine valves coking up on direct injection engines for the same reason - the engine never gets properly warm and with no fuel going past the inlet valves to wash them clean, they coke up quickly.

The consensus on other forums is that if you aren't doing regular 100+ mile trips stick to petrol.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22814 on: 09 October 2021, 13:29:27 »

We occasionally have smoke issues with the 1.5 Transhit Connects at work because they aren't designed to drive half a mile at 20 mph. The only reason they haven't completely sooted up is that they periodically get driven to Luton or Stansted.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.