Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange happenings after system restore  (Read 1671 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Strange happenings after system restore
« on: 25 February 2014, 19:54:58 »

Hi all,i did a restore last night.Now when i go to email,the login page does not come up.And it goes straight to my emails.Befor i had to put my password in, then it would show me my emails.Its a win/xp system with bt.com home page.Seems strange to me as i have allways, had to put my password in?.If i am talking 'dangle berries',please feel free to tell me. ;D I am just wondering,if i or the restore.Has changed some settings and that i may have security issues.

Stemo

Re: Strange happenings after system restore
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2014, 19:58:23 »

First of all, log out of your email, then clear cookies/cache.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2014, 20:22:03 »

In your email settings maybe there is an auto log me in to be unchecked?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2014, 20:23:31 »

Hi STE,i cant log out of email.As it automaticaly logs me in.Just cleard history and cach and cookies.Still the same,do i have anything to worry about.? :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2014, 20:28:30 »

do i have anything to worry about.? :-\
Yeah, you're still running XP ;D
Grumpy old man

Stemo

« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2014, 20:30:56 »

Hi STE,i cant log out of email.As it automaticaly logs me in.Just cleard history and cach and cookies.Still the same,do i have anything to worry about.? :-\
try undoing the last restore and restoring to a different point  :-\

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2014, 21:18:57 »

TB i will have you know,XP is like my love making.Slow,slow but still working. ;D ;D ;D.By the way STE, i posted this at 19-54.And at 21-10 i found out how to,log out of my email.Evrythings cool now,what a knob i am. :y ;D ;D ;D :D
« Last Edit: 25 February 2014, 21:28:31 by moggy »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2014, 06:39:03 »

So's my local council  ::)

I had to go there yesterday, when you go in you get a number on a ticket given to you.
In the waiting room theres a large screen showing how many people in the queue before you and when its your turn they put your number on the screen and which counter to go to......except the application had crashed......with what looked awfully like a XP taskbar showing..... ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2014, 08:41:10 »

The Windows XP issue is creating a lot of extra work in my field, especially in those big organisations that put the head in the sand for too long and now cannot change out their architecture quick enough for the April switch off. :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2014, 10:49:35 »

The Windows XP issue is creating a lot of extra work in my field, especially in those big organisations that put the head in the sand for too long and now cannot change out their architecture quick enough for the April switch off. :y

and that's part of the "con" ... XP is not being "switched off" in April ... support will be (updates/security fixes etc etc) but it will still work .. just as Windows 3.11 still works should you install it on suitable hardware.

There is a great deal of stupidity being put about regarding this. Any system that does NOT connect to the internet, (or have external access via USB/CD/disc etc etc) will continue to run quite safely and happily, as it is isolated from the security attacks that the doomsayers are portraying.

There are many older systems that drivers for win 7/8 etc are not written ... so should these systems be trashed just because software support is lacking ?? They work now, and will still work on April 9th.

Will all omega's have to be scrapped because Vx decide not to supply spares one day ?? which would mean the end of ALL vintage/veteran cars/bikes etc if universally enforced ??

I agree that XP is old, probably outdated, and is not suitable for modern hardware, but then again, win vista/7/8 is not suitable for older hardware either.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2014, 14:27:07 »

and that's part of the "con" ... XP is not being "switched off" in April ... support will be (updates/security fixes etc etc) but it will still work .. just as Windows 3.11 still works should you install it on suitable hardware.

There is a great deal of stupidity being put about regarding this. Any system that does NOT connect to the internet, (or have external access via USB/CD/disc etc etc) will continue to run quite safely and happily, as it is isolated from the security attacks that the doomsayers are portraying.

There are many older systems that drivers for win 7/8 etc are not written ... so should these systems be trashed just because software support is lacking ?? They work now, and will still work on April 9th.

Will all omega's have to be scrapped because Vx decide not to supply spares one day ?? which would mean the end of ALL vintage/veteran cars/bikes etc if universally enforced ??

I agree that XP is old, probably outdated, and is not suitable for modern hardware, but then again, win vista/7/8 is not suitable for older hardware either.

It's vernacular, not a 'con'.  The threat to businesses is very much real especially as very few businesses/organisations have an internal network which doesn't have access to the internet at some point.

The updates for protection against malware etc will stop come April 8th.  There is also significant intel to suggest that certain maligned groups are looking at targetting companies who still use XP.  My new client has had their head in the sand for a while and has only recently woken up to the threat.  They are 50% through upgrading their OS' but still some way off getting it sorted.  Thus a method of detecting and reacting to system breaches will be put in place along with some restrictions of USB ports, CD-ROMs etc....all with a skeleton crew.....not going to be fun that :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2014, 16:19:45 »

<Looks at XP machine on desk, supplied by a large company to which I'm subcontracted, and on their corporate network, with internet access>

Ahh, well. Not my problem. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2014, 16:21:21 »

<Looks at XP machine on desk, supplied by a large company to which I'm subcontracted, and on their corporate network, with internet access>

Ahh, well. Not my problem. ;D

Do you have my business card?  ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2014, 19:37:40 »

The trouble is, its probably the first internet connected PC that is going to run out of support before everyone has migrated away. The likes of W98 (and W95 for early internet adopters), people couldn't wait to get away from fast enough. NT4 and W2K were not that common amongst consumers.

You cannot really have an internet facing PC used by humans, and running as Admin level user accounts left running after April Doing so is hugely irresponsible.

In industry, XP is reasonably fine to keep running for a while, as they tend to be standalone, or limited access networks.

I've got to formulate a plan for my bro's tills, which are still XP  >:(. Suspect, given his network, at best I'll have to shove them on their own subnet and vlan, and (hardware) firewall them (XP's firewall cannot be trusted post April) so only connectivity to the internal servers they need to access. Or find a branded PC that is still supplied with 32bit Win7 (as his PoS app doesn't get on too well with Win8, opps  :-[)
Grumpy old man

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2014, 19:41:27 »

Hi TB,would you say in your opinion.I should update my xp drivers to make my pc run smoother.Or ditch it and get a new OS.I can see from what i have read on the net,to update them is not free.So is it worth it. :-\
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.