Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2. for sale  (Read 3109 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2. for sale
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2022, 17:21:01 »

I've just had a look at the pics on eBay & I've got to admit I really like the look of it, funny enough I drove past our local Vauxhall dealership this morning (Taylors of Spalding) & they have ceased trading after many years, they had an excellent reputation in the area bought my 2.6 from them many years ago, always regretted selling it.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2022, 18:13:11 »

So it needs, full service+cambelt, possibly wishbones, coolent change, breathers doing. And chassis legs will be crusty.Reckon £600 on parts.  It's getting expensive already. Might even need tyres.

I've recommissioned several cars that have been off the road for that sort of time and would suggest that large chunks of the hydraulic and cooling systems are likely to fail very quickly. Dodgy electrical connections are common. Automatic transmissions don't take standing for long periods either.

To me, that's a £500 car if, and only if, it won't need any welding in the foreseeable future. If I was going to spend £1700 on an Omega, I'd want evidence of it being in frequent use and the maintenance records. How many of those do we think there are?

All of the above, plus:-

Quote from the advert 'V5 will need to be applied for by the purchaser when sale is agreed, We didn't want to add another owner'

Yet five months ago someone registered it presumably to SORN it?

Vehicle status   SORN
Vehicle colour   GREEN
Vehicle type approval   M1
Wheelplan   2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight   Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued   28 July 2022

Add the hole through the bulkhead, rusty holes in the slam panel where the blues were mounted behind the grill and probably a load of butchered wiring, it really isn't sounding that great!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 November 2022, 18:16:07 »

So it needs, full service+cambelt, possibly wishbones, coolent change, breathers doing. And chassis legs will be crusty.Reckon £600 on parts.  It's getting expensive already. Might even need tyres.

I've recommissioned several cars that have been off the road for that sort of time and would suggest that large chunks of the hydraulic and cooling systems are likely to fail very quickly. Dodgy electrical connections are common. Automatic transmissions don't take standing for long periods either.

To me, that's a £500 car if, and only if, it won't need any welding in the foreseeable future. If I was going to spend £1700 on an Omega, I'd want evidence of it being in frequent use and the maintenance records. How many of those do we think there are?

All of the above, plus:-

Quote from the advert 'V5 will need to be applied for by the purchaser when sale is agreed, We didn't want to add another owner'

Yet five months ago someone registered it presumably to SORN it?

Vehicle status   SORN
Vehicle colour   GREEN
Vehicle type approval   M1
Wheelplan   2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight   Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued   28 July 2022

Add the hole through the bulkhead, rusty holes in the slam panel where the blues were mounted behind the grill and probably a load of butchered wiring, it really isn't sounding that great!

I’m glad it’s not just me :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2022, 21:05:44 »

I have one, but the 195,000 on the clock might make buyers reluctant to part with £1750.  ;D
That's about what both of mine sold for... One with 165k, tother, 265k. And that was 6 years ago.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 November 2022, 00:49:43 »

Theres hope for mine yet then.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 November 2022, 15:31:57 »

And mine on 248k and still going strong albeit N/S body work close up looks quite beaten up from neighbours wall falling on it 2 years ag :(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 November 2022, 17:48:11 »

And mine on 248k and still going strong albeit N/S body work close up looks quite beaten up from neighbours wall falling on it 2 years ag :(

Yours is a far better bet than the one under discussion, and is what I had in mind. Although it was even better before the wall.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 November 2022, 10:10:26 »

A lot of these observations are purely assumptions, and the condition can only assessed by a physical examination if it. Over the years, having bought many classic Triumphs, some of which had been laid up and 'off the road' for a good number of years, it really is dependent on how it has been stored, and the condition / circumstances when stored
If I was in the market for a good 3.2 Elite, then I would definately go and see it (with a code reader) and assess it from there.
I have been to look at many classic Triumphs that have been stored for a long long time - some I have immediately walked away from, some were just destined to be broken for parts, but some I have been pleasantly surprised at.
Anyone who can dismiss it without physically seeing it isn't genuinely interested in it.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 November 2022, 12:53:13 »

A lot of these observations are purely assumptions, and the condition can only assessed by a physical examination if it. Over the years, having bought many classic Triumphs, some of which had been laid up and 'off the road' for a good number of years, it really is dependent on how it has been stored, and the condition / circumstances when stored
If I was in the market for a good 3.2 Elite, then I would definately go and see it (with a code reader) and assess it from there.
I have been to look at many classic Triumphs that have been stored for a long long time - some I have immediately walked away from, some were just destined to be broken for parts, but some I have been pleasantly surprised at.
Anyone who can dismiss it without physically seeing it isn't genuinely interested in it.

Got to completely agree with you.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 November 2022, 16:02:01 »

I think the reality is that anyone looking to buy an Omega (well any car of this vintage really) that has been laid up / stored has got a lot of catch up maintenance to do, when you add up the costs of the parts and labour (If you can't do it yourself) it can add up considerably, if you discover rot in all the usual Omega places then that's going to up the costs further.

Agreed you'd go and look at it and make your own assessment and therefore walk into the purchase with your eyes open.  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 November 2022, 23:46:45 »

Looks like its been sold. Probably aboard the Stranraer - Larne ferry at this very minute.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

MikeV6

• United Kingdom
    • 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 November 2022, 13:29:08 »

Just seen this has sold I did email them about the logbook being applied for in July this year but I didn't get a response
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.