Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I open the radio faceplate?  (Read 1584 times)

Dory2

• Northampton
    • View Profile
How can I open the radio faceplate?
« on: 09 July 2007, 10:30:11 »

Just bought my Omega this weekend but I can't access the radio. The instruction manual that comes with it is for Kenwood KRC-PS1077R, 977R, 877R, 877W and 777R but I don't know which it is. The faceplate is closed so I can't access the control panel. The Kenwood remote control "Mask Key" has a good battery (3V button battery is producing 3.1V) doesn't open it. The instructions for using the mask key assume that the paceplate is open! All the fuses in the fusebox are present and intact. The Kenwood KDC-C711 CD changer in the boot has power. I have tried to prise the head unit out of the dash but I can't because I don't have the removal tools.

My next step will be to try to get a pair of Kenwood removal tools. Once I have the head unit out I'll at least know what model it is.

Suggestions anybody?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: How can I open the radio faceplate?
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2007, 21:10:08 »

Soz, thats not factory fit radio, so unless someone happens to have the same radio, won't know the answer :(
Grumpy old man

Dory2

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2007, 21:38:16 »

Well, I finally got the unit out and got it working by bending the sides to get the gears to mesh properly. Now I can't get it back into the hole! There is such a tangle of wires attached to the back I have to leave the radio sticking out 2 cm. Ugly. Also, it struggles to open and close and it doesn't respond to the controls on the steering wheel. I think I'll go for a new unit.

Any suggestions for a head unit that:
 - works with a Kenwood CD changer (13 pin connector)
 - works with the steering wheel controls of an Omega?   :-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2007, 21:41:54 »

Well, I finally got the unit out and got it working by bending the sides to get the gears to mesh properly. Now I can't get it back into the hole! There is such a tangle of wires attached to the back I have to leave the radio sticking out 2 cm. Ugly. Also, it struggles to open and close and it doesn't respond to the controls on the steering wheel. I think I'll go for a new unit.

Any suggestions for a head unit that:
 - works with a Kenwood CD changer (13 pin connector)
 - works with the steering wheel controls of an Omega?   :-?
There are adapters for some stereos to use steering wheel (and MID) controls. Usually an extra £50 or so, though as you have found, space is tight for adpaters etc...
Grumpy old man

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2007, 23:42:09 »

I had one of the MASK units and fitted it to a golf GTI company car I had at the time. When closed there's a slide switch on the bottom, push that (to the right IIRC) and the faceplace *should* open. Unless it's got a problem like mine developed whereby the flexible cable connecting the main circuit board with the front panel fails so you can't even open it with the switch ...  ::)

There is room to the left and below the back of the radio cage where you can shove adaptors if the cables are long enough, but space on the pre-facelift miggy's is tight at the best of times ... you'll probably find it's due to the lack of space that the remote controls have stopped working, the connector has probably popped out ...
« Last Edit: 15 July 2007, 23:43:05 by sounds2k »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.