Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Induction) electricity usage monitors  (Read 761 times)

aaronjb

(Induction) electricity usage monitors
« on: 29 April 2013, 16:28:15 »

I know I've seen written here before why these are a less-than-great idea, but, I was thinking about getting one of these: http://www.currentcost.com/product-envir.html

Largely because usage has been creeping up and I'm now at a daily average of 20kWh of electricity and my monthly payments have climbed (for gas & electric) to nearly £150/mo - I thought one of those gizmos would make it a little easier to identify the electricity guzzling things than running out to the ancient whizzy disc meter to see how fast it's spinning..

Can anyone remind me if these things are actually accurate or if they are wildly inaccurate?

Taxi_Driver

Re: (Induction) electricity usage monitors
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2013, 17:37:46 »

Ive not used one of those.....ive just got a single device at a time monitor.

It was interesting to see the washing machine used approx 5p of leccy for a 40C wash
The tumble dryer used approx 20p of leccy to dry the load.

To ferment 5 gallons of wine at temp of 21/22C the heater uses about 40/50p of leccy during the fermentation process.

What i was surprised at was the 30yo fridge/freezer.....A new A* rated one (same size freezer compartment but bigger fridge) is using about a £10/month less of leccy  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2013, 19:55:18 »

Most whole-house monitors are wildly inaccurate as soon as you have a reactive load (and a lot of standby power is highly reactive).

This is because they only measure current with a clip-on transformer, not voltage. To get an accurate power measurement you need to see both current and voltage and their phase relationship.

I find the plug-in types (about a tenner from Maplins) pretty good, as they can be plugged into a single appliance, they measure real and apparent power, power factor, etc. and can also tot up consumption over a period of time.

This sort of thing: http://www.maplin.co.uk/plug-in-mains-power-and-energy-monitor-38343
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2013, 21:44:15 »

These guys get around the problem by having voltage and current sensors: 
 :y
www.eco-eye.com

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2013, 10:38:02 »

Thanks guys :) I picked up a bargain current-only induction meter yesterday in the end, but I might pick up a plug-in or voltage & current meter if I still can't figure out what's eating electricity; in the last year the usage has basically doubled - some of which is, I'm sure, the new tumble dryer as I didn't have one before, but considering my cooking, heating and water are all gas the increase seems hard to explain.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2013, 18:43:49 »

Thanks guys :) I picked up a bargain current-only induction meter yesterday in the end, but I might pick up a plug-in or voltage & current meter if I still can't figure out what's eating electricity; in the last year the usage has basically doubled - some of which is, I'm sure, the new tumble dryer as I didn't have one before, but considering my cooking, heating and water are all gas the increase seems hard to explain.

That'll be most of it i expect.....even on low thats basically a unit/hr (10-15p i expect your paying)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2013, 18:46:47 »

Doubled in cost or usage??......dont forget energy prices have risen.....so even if you use the same amount you will be paying more  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.