Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rooted phone  (Read 2853 times)

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
Rooted phone
« on: 09 December 2013, 14:07:36 »

Not technically minded. Can anyone tell me, how a mobile phone becomes 'rooted' and why?  :y
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

MR MISTER

Re: Rooted phone
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2013, 14:13:20 »

Not technically minded. Can anyone tell me, how a mobile phone becomes 'rooted' and why?  :y
Plenty on Google, pages and pages of it. Have fun. ;D

Jusme

• Omega Knight
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2013, 14:53:28 »

Yes Stemo, seen it. But makes no sense to me? Son dropped Galaxy S3. Screen black. Sent it to Elite phones. (Google them & have fun.) Repair £127:50. Next day, LCD screen wrecked now £187:50. 48 hour turnaround. 15 days later and £225 poorer phone arrives. " DOES NOT WORK". Send it to Samsung. 'LCD screen cracked and motherboard rooted'. Can repair for £254:91. Do NOT ever use Elite phones.. NOT ever..  >:(
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2013, 15:00:08 »

Just means they can install "homebrew" apps etc or apps not certified by google play.
Same principle as a jail broken iphone.
Claims to give you more control over your phone as far as I can make out but invalidates any warranty.

Lots about it on here http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/general
« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 15:02:43 by Proz »
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

Jusme

• Omega Knight
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2013, 15:59:40 »

hmmm! Just can't work out why the conmen at Elite phones would do it???   >:( ???

MR MISTER

« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2013, 16:10:01 »

Just had a read of some of their reviews, which is something I do before I use any company.
Fraid you'll have to take this as an (expensive) lesson.

Jusme

• Omega Knight
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2013, 16:57:56 »

Fraid I will NOT... Letter going registered post in the morning claiming damages for non-repair and carrying out repair without correct skills and care. Already had it all logged with Action Fraud and Trading Standards. I am reliably informed by them that a criminal offence has been committed..  :(

MR MISTER

« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2013, 16:58:27 »

Fraid I will NOT... Letter going registered post in the morning claiming damages for non-repair and carrying out repair without correct skills and care. Already had it all logged with Action Fraud and Trading Standards. I am reliably informed by them that a criminal offence has been committed..  :(
Good luck.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2013, 17:41:11 »

£250 for a phone repair. ;D

My smartphone including calls and one off setup cost hasn't cost that for ten years worth of use. I would want it to make tea, drive the car and repair the car for that sort of money :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2013, 17:44:25 »

i could get 25 of my phones for the cost of a £250 repair  :o ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2013, 19:31:35 »

Can repair for £254:91.
They are £240 brand new, however a full (glass, LCD, and digitizer) screen replacement is only £130.

The phone being rooted doesn't stop it from working, all it means is that applications can run with Administrator privileges.

I would want it to make tea, drive the car and repair the car for that sort of money :y
The S3 could quite easily do that lot with the right hardware interface.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 19:36:29 by AndyRoid »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2013, 21:13:02 »

They are £240 brand new, however a full (glass, LCD, and digitizer) screen replacement is only £130.

The phone being rooted doesn't stop it from working, all it means is that applications can run with Administrator privileges.

I would want it to make tea, drive the car and repair the car for that sort of money :y
*cough* superuser *cough*, as its a NIX derivitive
Grumpy old man

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2013, 05:53:24 »

*cough* superuser *cough*, as its a NIX derivitive

Pedantic f***er  ;D ;D

Jusme

• Omega Knight
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2013, 12:22:41 »

*cough* superuser *cough*, as its a NIX derivitive And just what does 'that mean'?   ??? One thing/answer I was really looking for is. 'Why on earth would the repairers do 'that'??  :-\

MR MISTER

« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2013, 12:59:06 »

*cough* superuser *cough*, as its a NIX derivitive And just what does 'that mean'?   ??? One thing/answer I was really looking for is. 'Why on earth would the repairers do 'that'??  :-\
Because they are cowboys who are after your money!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.