Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 157374 times)

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #240 on: 21 May 2012, 15:08:55 »

Not a newbie but i think it is part of the instant information hungry society - where alot (not all) want the answers in their face from the start without doing any research themselves. They should search the guides of course, but the reality is alot cannot be bothered or fail to realise they are there (despite it being clear in my eyes)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 21 May 2012, 15:18:06 »

Personally, I don't know why we bother with the guides,  given the number of posts asking on guide covered subjects as old as the hills. I ain't writing that out "again" is a common thought for me tbh. Where's the sense, do a guide to help others, then write the same later, we could post a link, but they can look for themselves...? No?

I think Chris that the point Radar and Tigger were making was the unnecessarily abrupt manner of some replies. I remember the first time I went on a forum and had no idea how they worked or how to navigate around and it was nice to have a friendly response even if I was asking about something that was covered elsewhere on the forum rather than being "told off" for not looking properly before asking. If I had have been given some of the responses I've seen given to newbies on here, I would have thought "sod this, what an unfriendly place" and buggered off immediately!! A short polite and friendly response just to point someone in the right direction costs nothing and can be greatly appreciated.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 21 May 2012, 15:23:48 »

Personally, I don't know why we bother with the guides,  given the number of posts asking on guide covered subjects as old as the hills. I ain't writing that out "again" is a common thought for me tbh. Where's the sense, do a guide to help others, then write the same later, we could post a link, but they can look for themselves...? No?

I think Chris that the point Radar and Tigger were making was the unnecessarily abrupt manner of some replies. I remember the first time I went on a forum and had no idea how they worked or how to navigate around and it was nice to have a friendly response even if I was asking about something that was covered elsewhere on the forum rather than being "told off" for not looking properly before asking. If I had have been given some of the responses I've seen given to newbies on here, I would have thought "sod this, what an unfriendly place" and buggered off immediately!! A short polite and friendly response just to point someone in the right direction costs nothing and can be greatly appreciated.

+1 bob :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 21 May 2012, 15:58:32 »

I'll agree with bob and henry on this one  :( :(

The amount of so called regulars on who have spoken to newbies like a piece of sh*t because they didn't consult the guides is imo well out of line  :(
A couple of months back, some poor bloke who happened to be posting in capitals.
Needless to say, certain members of this forum jumped on the bandwagon and started calling break out of him, even after he said he had parkinsons and struggled with a keyboard  :(
Not everybody on the rather planet is comfortable behind a keyboard.
Some folks don't even like texting from a mobile phone infact I often get playfull abuse of people I know because I hardly ever text.  I just dial the number and use my voice  ;)

Some of the people on here want to look in the mirror and ask themselfs this question ...........

Would you speak to these people face to face the way you type when you are hideing behind a keyboard ??
I'd put money on it you wouldn't because if you did you would end up needing a rather dentist  ;)

I think its time that some folks on here calmed down, stopped thinking that they are better then some people and chilled out because to "a outsider", they come across as nothing more then "keyboard warrior's" and bullys  :( :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 21 May 2012, 16:11:07 »

Would you speak to these people face to face the way you type when you are hideing behind a keyboard ??

Sage words that every user of the internet would be wise to consider... ;)

It's so easy to spot someone has a single-digit post could and cut them a little slack.. Even if it's only to politely point out how simple it is to find the maintenance guides.

That said, I can't remember the last time I looked in the newbie welcome area. :-[
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

OOMV6

« Reply #245 on: 21 May 2012, 16:12:46 »

Put maintenance guides at the top of the home page. Bolder, bigger, than other menu items with some comment like "please refer to these, they are great(!)  :y before posting a question". Bring newbies attention to it. The home page is very symmetrical with not one thing standing out more than others. This should alleviate some distress to those who took the time and care to write them.

Michael2.6

• Intermediate Member
  • Bishop Auckland
    • Vauxhall Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 21 May 2012, 16:15:41 »

Would you like to name these so called regulars

because i have one in mind.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 21 May 2012, 16:22:03 »

Put maintenance guides at the top of the home page. Bolder, bigger, than other menu items with some comment like "please refer to these, they are great(!)  :y before posting a question". Bring newbies attention to it. The home page is very symmetrical with not one thing standing out more than others. This should alleviate some distress to those who took the time and care to write them.

Agree with that  :y

In fact, bring it to members attention when they fill out the form to join the forum.
You even add a tick box to say that they have read the terms and conditions :y

But at the end of the day, there are too many people on here suffering from "keyboard hardman syndrome"

If this forum is going to be the friendly, welcoming and informative place that the lads who set it up want it to be, it needs sorting asap.

OOMV6

« Reply #248 on: 21 May 2012, 16:23:33 »

No point.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 21 May 2012, 16:29:10 »

No point turning this into a witch hunt or it will turn out like the lizzie zoom, daz / ljay / jimbob  :(

Background
Single
Married
Loaded
In deep sh*t money wise
ect, blah blah blah

There is a incredibly wide range or members on here.

There is just no tolerence or consideration anymore  :(

STMO123

« Reply #250 on: 21 May 2012, 16:34:47 »

I thought the forum had quietened down a lot lately, I must be looking at the wrong boards.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 21 May 2012, 16:37:09 »

I thought the forum had quietened down a lot lately, I must be looking at the wrong boards.

Who asked you  ;D ;D

STMO123

« Reply #252 on: 21 May 2012, 16:40:00 »

Who asked you  ;D ;D
Bully! I want my mummy  :'(

OOMV6

« Reply #253 on: 21 May 2012, 16:40:25 »

I thought the forum had quietened down a lot lately, I must be looking at the wrong broads.

Corrected that

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 21 May 2012, 17:14:05 »

The guides are fantastic, I just think that people either don't explore the site properly because they can't be arsed, or are not great on the computer. I understand your frustration in taking the time to do the guides and then having to direct people to it, but I for one really appreciate the time and effort put into them, they've saved me and lots of other people a LOT of money.  :y
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.