Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for a new mower?  (Read 5514 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a new mower?
« Reply #15 on: 10 October 2023, 11:19:09 »

And we have a secret B&S saddo on the site, isn't that right Mr YZ250 ;D

;D ;D

This only came about when Mrs YZ got herself an allotment a few years back (given it up now). I have no interest in growing stuff and my knowledge of such things is zero, but because I’m a thoughtful hubby I mowed the large plot that she had for her. On one occasion the mower started playing up, so I stripped it apart, whacked a carb kit on it for less than a tenner and away it went.  :y  The chap on the next plot had seen me working on it and asked if I’d look at his broken Hayter Harrier, so I fixed that. Somehow word spread that I was the Go To man for fixing/servicing mowers, rotavators, strimmers, chainsaws and hedge trimmers. I had them lined up in my garage. It then progressed to servicing/repairing the school ride on mower, the Toro general mower and the cricket pitch cylinder mower. I eventually had to call a stop to it.  ;D

Atco have been around for a million years so you should be ok with it.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2023, 12:27:49 »

I have a Qualcast petrol mower and it is utter shit.

Won't pull the skin off a race pudding. Add in flimsy build quality and a  plastic carb. I may look at a used 'old school' ATCO type mower suggested by Mark DTM.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2023, 12:52:37 »

;D ;D
This only came about...

Ah don't be so modest, you sound like a well credentialled expert to me. You can expect my call shortly  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 October 2023, 13:34:46 »

;D ;D

This only came about when Mrs YZ got herself an allotment a few years back (given it up now). I have no interest in growing stuff and my knowledge of such things is zero, but because I’m a thoughtful hubby I mowed the large plot that she had for her. On one occasion the mower started playing up, so I stripped it apart, whacked a carb kit on it for less than a tenner and away it went.  :y  The chap on the next plot had seen me working on it and asked if I’d look at his broken Hayter Harrier, so I fixed that. Somehow word spread that I was the Go To man for fixing/servicing mowers, rotavators, strimmers, chainsaws and hedge trimmers. I had them lined up in my garage. It then progressed to servicing/repairing the school ride on mower, the Toro general mower and the cricket pitch cylinder mower. I eventually had to call a stop to it.  ;D

when can I bring you my Atco?  ;D It'll run of a fashion ....  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 October 2023, 13:43:36 »

I recently bought a second hand Mac Allister (B&Q own brand) petrol lawnmower which has a 125cc Briggs and Stratton engine, after my trusty old Bosch Rotak electric mower fell apart.  :(

I've only used it once so far, but once I got going after faffing about filling it with petrol and getting it started, it mowed my lawn nicely and quicker with the wider deck.  :y

Much heavier than the leccy mower though, and as it's not self propelled, mowing the lawn will be good exercise in future!  :)

Hence the advice on the Atco, self propelled and the ES  model has electric start   :y

Yes this Mac Allister I have is pretty basic. No throttle or choke so runs at preset revs and has a little primer bulb to pump fuel into the carb. It retails new at about £230 so you get what you pay for I guess.

I'll see how I get on with it.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 October 2023, 15:30:21 »

Well, I suppose we'll find out, I've bought it now... ;D

I had a look and whole new carbs can be had for £20-35 depending on how authentic you want them to be, and service kits for half that amount. I figure less than £50 I should have a very usable mower.   :y

Good tip on the E5 Mr TB, I honestly wouldn't have thought of that. :).
Genuine carb refurb kits are around a tenner delivered.  Probably worth always having a spark plug and a clean air filter in stock - both should cost around £2-3 delivered each.  It'll most likely have a metal blade, so hop that off at use a grander to put a good edge back on it.  Change the oil (I use GM semi synth in mine, just because I had some).  Nothing else to do really.

I change the oil in mine every couple of years, if I remember, and the plug when it stops working, and might remember to check the air filter every 5 years...   ...just dont tell Al how much I abuse mine ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2023, 15:32:07 »

;D ;D

Oi! There's a queue...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2023, 16:23:17 »

;D ;D

Oi! There's a queue...
;D ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2023, 16:48:11 »

Well, I suppose we'll find out, I've bought it now... ;D

I had a look and whole new carbs can be had for £20-35 depending on how authentic you want them to be, and service kits for half that amount. I figure less than £50 I should have a very usable mower.   :y

Good tip on the E5 Mr TB, I honestly wouldn't have thought of that. :).
Genuine carb refurb kits are around a tenner delivered.  Probably worth always having a spark plug and a clean air filter in stock - both should cost around £2-3 delivered each.  It'll most likely have a metal blade, so hop that off at use a grander to put a good edge back on it.  Change the oil (I use GM semi synth in mine, just because I had some).  Nothing else to do really.

I change the oil in mine every couple of years, if I remember, and the plug when it stops working, and might remember to check the air filter every 5 years...   ...just dont tell Al how much I abuse mine ;D
Is a grander a very posh grinder?  ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2023, 17:25:48 »

;D ;D

Oi! There's a queue...

;D ;D

See how the jobs can soon add up.  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2023, 19:06:44 »

It's not called the neverending list for nowt ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2023, 19:50:36 »

I assume there's no oil filter on these? I had a look on B&S but as far as I can tell the only ones they sell are for tractor mowers.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2023, 20:28:39 »

I assume there's no oil filter on these? I had a look on B&S but as far as I can tell the only ones they sell are for tractor mowers.

Not to my knowledge. I just lift all four wheels on to bricks and undo the square drive plug in the blade well to dump the oil.  :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 October 2023, 20:39:00 »

…………………
It'll most likely have a metal blade, so hop that off at use a grinder to put a good edge back on it ……….

And remember to sharpen it equally both sides so that the blade doesn’t go out of balance, otherwise you end up with a vibrating mower.  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2023, 20:46:17 »

…………………
It'll most likely have a metal blade, so hop that off at use a grinder to put a good edge back on it ……….

And remember to sharpen it equally both sides so that the blade doesn’t go out of balance, otherwise you end up with a vibrating mower.  :y
Big Vera would be chasing you around the garden asking for a ride  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.