Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Sealed for life" Washing Machine Bearings  (Read 2648 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
"Sealed for life" Washing Machine Bearings
« on: 08 March 2022, 17:53:18 »

Hi Folks, hope everyone is well. I'd like to ask a question of any home-appliance DIY'ers please.

My washing machine - it's a Zanussi, and is 9 years old. It started making a horrific noise on spin, and it became clear the bearings were knackered.

So, I watched a video online about how to remove the tub from the machine, split it, and get to / change the bearings. It looked simple enough, so I thought I'd have a go. I contacted a couple of parts places, to buy the bearings and seal, and was told "you can't repair that machine, sealed for life mate".

Being me, I thought (just like with "sealed for life" autoboxes), there must be a way to get to, and service the parts. I took the machine apart, and removed the tub. This is a plastic tub and the two halves have been glued / welded together, preventing easy separation (and therefore access to the bearings). So, I took a fine reciprocating saw, and slowly worked all around the seam. It has separated nicely, and I have found a good way to seal it using Vauxhall grey sealant, and a combination of nuts, bolts, and some "mezz clamps" around the flanges.

I have removed the bearings, and they are knackered.

The problem I have found, however, is that they seem to be a totally non-standard size! Measuring them, they are totally different dimensions to any other washing machine bearings out there. I also can't seem to find the bearings from a generic bearing supplier!

If anyone can help me on where to obtain some bearings, I'd be most grateful.

The dimensions  are

Front bearing - 60mm external diameter, 26mm internal

Rear bearing - 50mm external diameter, 26mm internal.

I cannot find any bearings, anywhere, with these dimensions!

I have no doubt this, alongside the "sealed for life" tub, is simply a ploy from the manufacturer, to make me go and buy a new £400 machine, rather than repair my otherwise perfectly good washing machine for the sake of a beer token and a couple of hours work! As well as not wanting to shell out if I don't have to - I like to fix things - especially after I'm told they can't be fixed!

Seems criminal they can get away with it. So much for being "environmentally friendly"  ::)

If anyone knows where I can obtain such bearings, I'd be extremely grateful :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: "Sealed for life" Washing Machine Bearings
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2022, 18:56:40 »

I just have all my white appliances covered by Domestic & General.

When a machine breaks down, after a quick phone call a nice engineer turns up and carries out the necessary repairs, or if that is not possible, I get a new appliance. No worry, no sweat, for a modest sum every month.

Just buy a new machine James and a D&G policy :D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2022, 19:55:14 »

£4-500 every 9-10 years is hardly budget busting...

Although I appreciate the make do and mend approach has a certain appeal...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2022, 19:57:35 »

Such policies have their uses, but are generally a waste of money...

Save the premium and the new machine will pay for itself. £15 a month saved will buy a new appliance every three years.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2022, 20:05:55 »

Totally agree it’s had a good life and owes me nothing. But, I can’t help the fact I want to do the make do and mend route. Always have, always will.

I just need the bearings 👍🏻

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2022, 20:07:04 »

Faceachebook market place for a donor Zanussi :-\

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2022, 20:28:19 »

We've just replaced our four year old Hotpoint washing machine for the same reason as James. It washed fine but sounded like a jet taking off when in spin mode, the drum bearings were shot. I enjoy tinkering and fixing things, except for white goods.  :)

Reference Cover Policy's :

We had a Domestic and General policy on it but we've decided to just buy a new machine as and when required in future. The D&G policy crept up from £5 per month to over £14 per month. If you cancel the policy mid term, you have to pay for any repairs in full for that year. In their defence, they did respond to call-outs quickly, it's just that I don't require their services anymore. It was the D&G premium constantly increasing that made us decide to cancel and just buy new when needed.  :y

Save the premium and the new machine will pay for itself. £15 a month saved will buy a new appliance every three years.

I agree.  :y  When our D&G premium was at a lowly £5 per month it was possibly worth it, but definitely not at the higher premium. Incidentally, when I phoned to cancel the policy, they immediately lowered it to £7 per month, but we still weren't interested. So much for loyalty.  ::)
« Last Edit: 08 March 2022, 20:36:36 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2022, 23:00:41 »

I bought a new Hotpoint washing machine directly from Hotpoint a couple of years ago for £199 including delivery and they took away my old one as well.  :y

Oh and I got £4.38 cashback from TopCashback as well!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2022, 13:16:20 »

Wrong again! ::) ::)

I pay just £3.85 for my washing protection, and as with all my D&G policies, I get my money worth and peace of mind overall with what I get back. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2022, 13:31:23 »

The other issue with those type of bearings it you often have to replace the spider as well, and modern ones are not easy to replace.  A complete drum (or half drum, depending on design) is the correct repair...   ...though arguably not worth it.

We now just buy the cheapest that has a (proper, not like Hotpoint) 5yr warranty, and if its knackered after that, get a new one.  As it happens, our current one is Hotpoint.

The other advantage of cheap ones is they tend to come from places not yet taken over by the lentil brigade, so wash at decent temperatures, that clean better and faster, and don't allow black deposits to build up on the rubber components.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2022, 13:45:09 »

Pretty sure our washing machine was about £230.

They last about 5-7 years so an extended warranty doesn't seem like a good use of money to me.

Speaking of the dreaded 'extened warranty con' we were ever offered one a a £12.99 electric can opener from Argos. :D :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2022, 13:49:39 »

I bought a new Hotpoint washing machine directly from Hotpoint a couple of years ago for £199 including delivery and they took away my old one as well.  :y

Oh and I got £4.38 cashback from TopCashback as well!  :)

Yep.....probably recycled from your old Marina.

I reckon some people spent far more on Calgon over a 5 year period than a new machine. ::)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2022, 14:20:39 »

They last about 5-7 years so an extended warranty doesn't seem like a good use of money to me.

Speaking of the dreaded 'extened warranty con' we were ever offered one a a £12.99 electric can opener from Argos. :D :-X
Is it difficult for you old hands to use a normal one these days?
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2022, 14:25:10 »

Is it difficult for you old hands to use a normal one these days?

I don't use the tin opener, washing machine, cooker or hoover......but the fact that I purchased such items to make life easy for the fairer sex demonstrates what a kind and considerate man I am. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 March 2022, 15:54:27 »

I pay just £3.85 for my washing protection, and as with all my D&G policies, I get my money worth and peace of mind overall with what I get back. ;)
Or buy a decent washing machine in the first place and budget to save up for it :-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 March 2022, 16:11:11 »

My mum uses those domestic appliance insurance. It works for her. No idea what she pays, and it doesn't cover really old stuff either if deemed irrepairable.

She's not in a position to fix stuff like that herself, and she seems to have dreadful trouble getting tradespeople to come (I know that feeling with bastard builders round here  >:(), so having a nice man turn up the next day and pull out her (fitted) appliances to fix them probably is "value", no matter what the cost, within reason.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 March 2022, 16:40:11 »

Or buy a decent washing machine in the first place and budget to save up for it :-X

Good grief  ;D ;D  Is there any thread that is safe from you?  ::)
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 March 2022, 16:52:44 »

£3.85 seems very reasonable, Lizzie.  :y
I usually buy Samsung washing machines, I got a five year warranty with the current one.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 March 2022, 17:11:48 »

I usually buy Samsung washing machines, I got a five year warranty with the current one.

They are good machines Steve, but I have a preference for Hotpoint / Bosch appliances, which contrary to DG opinions are also good, long lasting machines. 

I never buy cheap versions, and with washing machines / tumble dryers go for 9kg load models.  They rarely give me any issues, but when they do I know a nice man comes along to keep them running. At no extra cost. Mine usually last around 7 years on that basis.

The cooker , dish washer and fridge freezer are also covered so I have complete piece of mind, plus I have D&G rewards building up to go towards replacements if necessary. ;)

« Last Edit: 09 March 2022, 17:13:27 by Lizzie Zoom »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 March 2022, 17:14:16 »

£3.85 is very reasonable, shame the lowest we could get from them was £7 per month, fixed for 3 years, on a brand new Bosch washing machine.  :-\  (2 of those being still in the guarantee period)  ::)  Then the premium gradually creeps up, until you phone to cancel, and then it comes down again.  ;D
As I said previously, if you bail out before the year is up, you get charged in full for any repairs that have been carried out within that term.

Edit:
Just been corrected by her who operates it, the D&G premium offer was £9 per month fixed for 3 years, for the new machine.  ::)
« Last Edit: 09 March 2022, 17:17:48 by YZ250 »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 March 2022, 17:23:39 »

£3.85 is very reasonable, shame the lowest we could get from them was £7 per month, fixed for 3 years, on a brand new Bosch washing machine.  :-\  (2 of those being still in the guarantee period)  ::)  Then the premium gradually creeps up, until you phone to cancel, and then it comes down again.  ;D
As I said previously, if you bail out before the year is up, you get charged in full for any repairs that have been carried out within that term.

Edit:
Just been corrected by her who operates it, the D&G premium offer was £9 per month fixed for 3 years, for the new machine.  ::)

I do not know how D&G calculate the risk / premium, but I suspect the potential costs of repair and the parts for each brand is a big factor.  The D&G organised repair engineer I have found, for both my and my daughters Hotpoint’s, to be always a Hotpoint guy and know my machines backwards. ;) :)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2022, 17:25:41 »

They are good machines Steve, but I have a preference for Hotpoint / Bosch appliances, which contrary to DG opinions are also good, long lasting machines. 

We just binned a four year old Hotpoint washing machine. It had to have a new programmer circuit board fitted at just ONE WEEK old, and another at ten months old. The reason we took out the D&G cover was because we expected more trouble out of the warranty period. Typically it's not gone wrong since  ::), until the howling drum bearings, but it's put us off Hotpoint. It's been howling on spin mode for some time now, they just ain't made like they used to be.  ;D
« Last Edit: 09 March 2022, 17:30:40 by YZ250 »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 March 2022, 17:36:05 »

We just binned a four year old Hotpoint washing machine. It had to have a new programmer circuit board fitted at just ONE WEEK old, and another at ten months old. The reason we took out the D&G cover was because we expected more trouble out of the warranty period. Typically it's not gone wrong since  ::), until the howling drum bearings, but it's put us off Hotpoint. It's been howling on spin mode for some time now, they just ain't made like they used to be.  ;D

But that is where D&G step in and give you a lovely new drum and you keep the machine going until the overloads catch up with it, then the process with D&G repeats itself! ;D ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 March 2022, 17:46:14 »

Checked that bearing supplier sadly they can’t help.

Zanussi are absolute b@stards. I can’t believe I may have to scrap this machine over a £10 bearing  >:( :( :( :( >:(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 March 2022, 18:41:10 »

They are usually for 'parts only'

Any  repairas have to be done by the manufacturer at sky high labour rates.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 March 2022, 18:49:34 »

The 'repairas' on mine are included in the warranty  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 March 2022, 18:55:23 »

Our machine still has the 5 year parts warranty sticker on the front because I couldn't be arsed to peel it off.

It's a Hotpoint that was replaced free of charge last year because of some safety recall or other. We'd had the old machine about 4 years, I think.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 March 2022, 19:00:34 »

Our machine still has the 5 year parts warranty sticker on the front because I couldn't be arsed to peel it off.

It's a Hotpoint that was replaced free of charge last year because of some safety recall or other. We'd had the old machine about 4 years, I think.
I had to go online and create a Samsung account to get the 5 year warranty. Give them all of my personal info. Doesn't matter, I just marked their first marketing email as spam and all future ones were automatically binned.  :)
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 March 2022, 19:59:35 »

He'll probably get a Spanish repair man turn up at his door. ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 March 2022, 20:56:53 »

Our Maytag washer came from Costco complete with a 10 yr parts warrenty. It was more like £500 but I believe we've never had a problem with it  ;)  ..... buy cheap -- buy twice  ::)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 March 2022, 21:11:14 »

My Hotpoint is 12 years old and no issues - but then again again it doesnt have a woman overfilling it all the time. ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 March 2022, 21:18:21 »

You gotta love a feisty white goods thread  ;D ;D
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 March 2022, 10:49:02 »

My Hotpoint is 12 years old and no issues - but then again again it doesnt have a woman overfilling it all the time. ::)

:-[ :-[ :-[  I must admit to that, and most of us do.  That is why we have D&G to supply a nice new drum every so often when “the squeal” happens. ;D ;D ;D

Really there should be a domestic 15kg load machine available for us……….the Whirlpool top loading machines in the USA seem to hold far more than ours for instance.  ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 March 2022, 10:55:02 »

:-[ :-[ :-[  I must admit to that, and most of us do.  That is why we have D&G to supply a nice new drum every so often when “the squeal” happens. ;D ;D ;D

Really there should be a domestic 15kg load machine available for us……….the Whirlpool top loading machines in the USA seem to hold far more than ours for instance.  ;)

I wonder how many men who complain about overloading washing machines have actually weighed their work van? 8)
When we did our fitters vans, NONE of them were under the legal maximum 3.5tonnes....

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 March 2022, 11:15:39 »

Washing machines in the US are about 50% bigger than ours and I expect they use at least 50% more water and electricity as well!  :)

Similar to their cars really.  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 March 2022, 11:17:14 »

Washing machines in the US are about 50% bigger than ours and I expect they use at least 50% more water and electricity as well!  :)

They can only get the same number of items in, though, because their clothes are 50% bigger.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 March 2022, 11:40:33 »

They can only get the same number of items in, though, because their clothes are 50% bigger.  ;D

Good point!  :y  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 March 2022, 13:25:03 »

Watched Michael Mosley on 'Obese Britain' last night, channel 4.

Apparently the 'fat bastard' capital of Britain is Rotherham. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2022, 18:12:50 »

And? A decent machine that lasts for 15-20 years (like our previous Bosch washer and drier) cost around £2 a month over their lifetimes. The drier needed no repairs... When it stopped drying properly it was quicker and easier to do without than mess around fixing it. And the washer had one replacement pump and needed the impeller unblocking twice. Total cost was about £50 for the pump.

When it finally decided to play up electronically, we simply bought a brand new Bosch washer drier. Even if it only lasts half the time of the previous ones it will have cost less than £10 a month.

Your £3.85 could have bought both.

And £15 a month saved for three years, aka £540 will buy a decent machine, whether you choose to accept it or not.

If you insist that I am wrong just because you don't wish to accept that I may actually be right, then you need to be more specific, because all the above statements are, in fact, true.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2022, 19:50:47 »

It does seem many machines, like Indeshit (including Hotpoint), make machines that will just last the real warranty of 1yr (as pointed out above, the warranty on Hotpoint beyond 1yr is parts only...   ...and the callout is £96, and then about £70 per hour, which makes it a silly idea to even contemplate using that warranty.

Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2022, 20:02:19 »

My Samsung is coming up five years, no warranty claims, used every day and is still going strong. I'll probably get another when this one gives up.

I'm surprised it hasn't shaken itself to bits, really. Our kitchen has a wooden floor (with a proper space underneath) and I find it almost impossible to stop it vibrating on spin. I've jammed a couple of folded up tea towels between it and the worktop, stops it vibrating so much but it rattles the cupboard doors.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 March 2022, 20:38:07 »

And? A decent machine that lasts for 15-20 years (like our previous Bosch washer and drier) cost around £2 a month over their lifetimes. The drier needed no repairs... When it stopped drying properly it was quicker and easier to do without than mess around fixing it. And the washer had one replacement pump and needed the impeller unblocking twice. Total cost was about £50 for the pump.

When it finally decided to play up electronically, we simply bought a brand new Bosch washer drier. Even if it only lasts half the time of the previous ones it will have cost less than £10 a month.

Your £3.85 could have bought both.

And £15 a month saved for three years, aka £540 will buy a decent machine, whether you choose to accept it or not.

If you insist that I am wrong just because you don't wish to accept that I may actually be right, then you need to be more specific, because all the above statements are, in fact, true.

;D ;D so obviously you have not used a washing machine regularly cleaning numerous childrens and adult clothes which wears out even the best machines. You also have not given your wife/partner the choice to have a brand new up to date appliance with eco settings to match todays needs!  “15 -20 years” , what a joke.  You really love playing the male brinkmanship game, hence you constantly (as STEMO correctly puts it ) talk shit!  ::) ::) ::)

Also where are you constantly getting “£15” from?  As I said I pay £3.85 a month, which yes will rise to closer £10, but not £15. ::) ::)

« Last Edit: 10 March 2022, 20:39:38 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 March 2022, 20:52:27 »

My mum uses those domestic appliance insurance. It works for her. No idea what she pays, and it doesn't cover really old stuff either if deemed irrepairable.

She's not in a position to fix stuff like that herself, and she seems to have dreadful trouble getting tradespeople to come (I know that feeling with bastard builders round here  >:(), so having a nice man turn up the next day and pull out her (fitted) appliances to fix them probably is "value", no matter what the cost, within reason.

I have just read your post TB and it is very correct.  Peace of mind is very important to us who would not dare try and repair a white appliance.  The process with D&G is so straightforward and means we have a repair man/ woman always at the end of a telephone call without any extra costs beyond a very reasonable monthly premium.

As I touch on before, if the engineer cannot fix the machine, they will provide a like for like replacement.  In addition we build up rewards which gives us a very decent discount if we decide to replace the old machine just for an update.

“Peace of mind” I cannot repeat enough when you have constantly a build up of washing to be done or food / drink to be kept cold / frozen  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2022, 21:43:07 »

I said £15 as a reasonable short term budget amount to buy a new machine every three years. What part of that is wrong?

As for getting all pissy about whether I do laundry or not, and how much. That's none of your business but rest assured that when and if I choose to have kids, (or inherit someone else's), I can guarantee that the amount of washing will be irrelevant in that decision. And I sure as hell won't be asking you for advice for any of it.

As it goes, that washing machine was purchased new in 2001. The new one in 2021, so again, that is 20 years, and in that time has washed all my uniforms, bedding, clothes, dog beds etc plus Mother's laundry.

Was it efficient? It was A rated when new, as is the new one that replaced it. It's not a question of brinkmanship or any other pretentious label you choose to put on it, but the result of spending a bit more to buy a decent product.

I cannot help it if you or anyone else decides to buy a washing machine that obviously isn't very good...

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 10 March 2022, 22:51:49 »

I said £15 as a reasonable short term budget amount to buy a new machine every three years. What part of that is wrong?

As for getting all pissy about whether I do laundry or not, and how much. That's none of your business but rest assured that when and if I choose to have kids, (or inherit someone else's), I can guarantee that the amount of washing will be irrelevant in that decision. And I sure as hell won't be asking you for advice for any of it.

As it goes, that washing machine was purchased new in 2001. The new one in 2021, so again, that is 20 years, and in that time has washed all my uniforms, bedding, clothes, dog beds etc plus Mother's laundry.

Was it efficient? It was A rated when new, as is the new one that replaced it. It's not a question of brinkmanship or any other pretentious label you choose to put on it, but the result of spending a bit more to buy a decent product.

I cannot help it if you or anyone else decides to buy a washing machine that obviously isn't very good...

Whatever! ;D ;D ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 11 March 2022, 00:41:57 »

Not read all the posts on this. Can't be arsed

But, I believe that most white goods are designed to last about 5 years. Anything more is a bonus. The days of stuff lasting a lifetime have long gone.

I moved a few years ago, quite a distance. Left all the white goods behind in the old house, the extra cost of the removal company not very much less than new stuff, and as the old stuff was old anyway . . .

Moved 8 years ago. Just replaced dishwasher, more to come  :(

Just wondering where my old red Omega is now. James came down, fixed it and drove it away a few years back. He does like fixing things  ;)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 11 March 2022, 06:35:47 »

I believe that it returned to Wales and is still on here in the care of Raeturbo  8)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 March 2022, 08:27:19 »

James, have you tried Oxford Bearings on the business park in Cowley. They used to be quite handy for sourcing many different size bearings for us at work.  :y

https://www.oxfordbearings.co.uk/contact-us/

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11 March 2022, 08:52:08 »

Not read all the posts on this. Can't be arsed

But, I believe that most white goods are designed to last about 5 years. Anything more is a bonus. The days of stuff lasting a lifetime have long gone.

I moved a few years ago, quite a distance. Left all the white goods behind in the old house, the extra cost of the removal company not very much less than new stuff, and as the old stuff was old anyway . . .

Moved 8 years ago. Just replaced dishwasher, more to come  :(

Just wondering where my old red Omega is now. James came down, fixed it and drove it away a few years back. He does like fixing things  ;)
I bought it from James, played with it for a year then sold it to a mechanic who had served his apprenticeship with Vauxhall and had been looking for a 3.2 Omega to look after :-)

Don't know if he still has it  :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11 March 2022, 08:54:37 »

Watched Michael Mosley on 'Obese Britain' last night, channel 4.

Apparently the 'fat bastard' capital of Britain is Rotherham. :)

Cheers :-X
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11 March 2022, 11:14:39 »

I believe that it returned to Wales and is still on here in the care of Raeturbo  8)
               Ahh no, mine is that titanium colour 👍
Laying a rubber road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 March 2022, 11:53:53 »

Ahh no, mine is that Gay Gold colour 👍

:P  ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11 March 2022, 22:29:12 »

What? You coming here in a car I ain’t seen before are you mate? If not watch your back as you trespass through Trehavod on your way into my valley 👍🤣
Laying a rubber road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11 March 2022, 23:05:31 »

What? You coming here in a car I ain’t seen before are you mate? If not watch your back as you trespass through Trehavod on your way into my valley 👍🤣

I try not to attract attention so I generally sneak in the back way through Llanwonno.  :y   :D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 12 March 2022, 12:32:03 »

I’ll be watching😂
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.