Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy consumption of 6 KG Hotpoint tumble dryer.  (Read 1386 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Energy consumption of 6 KG Hotpoint tumble dryer.
« on: 23 December 2022, 13:08:55 »

Following the government rebate I pay roughly 41p per KWH during the day, and 14p per KWH during the wee small hours.

Can't seem to find definitive data on power output but guessing more than 1 KW.

I'm sure some boffin on here will know the answer.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Energy consumption of 6 KG Hotpoint tumble dryer.
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2022, 13:57:15 »

It'll be difficult to find an actual kWh consumption figure, because the tend to give you a figure for an average load. This is because the power used will be dependent on the size of the load and the power used decreases at the end of the cycle while it cools the load down to prevent creasing.

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/property-advice/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-a-tumble-dryer-295558
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2022, 14:27:07 »

It'll be difficult to find an actual kWh consumption figure, because the tend to give you a figure for an average load. This is because the power used will be dependent on the size of the load and the power used decreases at the end of the cycle while it cools the load down to prevent creasing.

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/property-advice/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-a-tumble-dryer-295558

Pretty much what I found. Hard to get a definitive figure.

I have heard of figures as high as 4 KW when starting the load gradually getting less as it starts to dry. The washing line works for free for about 8 months of the year.

I wish I paid electricity charges from 1963 like you still do.

You'll get a bit of a shock soon. :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2022, 15:13:57 »

Hotpoint models decrease their consumption once they've set fire to your house too. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2022, 16:03:34 »

That's far too sensible an answer for on here.  ;D Just tell him to stick the bugger on and worry about the cost later.  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2022, 16:05:00 »

It'll struggle to pull more than 3KW if it has a 13A plug fitted.

Tumble Dryers are banned from TB Towers, as we've had enough fire damage, and my electric bill is high enough.  She has a washing line, that does the same job, is safer, and very green and energy efficient.
Grumpy old man

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2022, 16:27:22 »

Indeed with 13 amp fuse and 240 volts the fuse should only be able to take 3120Watts before it melts.
Laying a rubber road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2022, 18:30:14 »

There should be a sticker or plate on it somewhere (usually somewhere hard to find) that gives the wattage.   Mine is 2500 watts, so using that as a guide, it costs 0.875p per hour at 0.35p kwh.  A full load taking an hour and half to dry would cost £1.31.

I only use it in emergencies though, like when my favourite 'pussy magnet' shirt is still wet when I need it for a night out, otherwise washing goes out on the line or on the rack where it takes about 3 days to dry.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2022, 18:53:53 »

at work they provided 3 heaters in one locker rooms due to complaints of it being cold in there .... they did have a point. They had to run a heavier supply ... there are two 9Kw & a 15Kw!  :o

I'm glad I'm not paying the bill!

There again, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the overall utility bill. Apparently it's £600 000 per WEEK!!!!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2022, 18:56:54 »

There should be a sticker or plate on it somewhere (usually somewhere hard to find) that gives the wattage.   Mine is 2500 watts, so using that as a guide, it costs 0.875p per hour at 0.35p kwh.  A full load taking an hour and half to dry would cost £1.31.

I only use it in emergencies though, like when my favourite 'pussy magnet' shirt is still wet when I need it for a night out, otherwise washing goes out on the line or on the rack where it takes about 3 days to dry.  ::)

That sounds like day rate costs to me.

Surely it would be cheaper to dry it during the wee dark hours.

I never go to bed until the small hours so it's never a problem.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2022, 19:04:01 »

There should be a sticker or plate on it somewhere (usually somewhere hard to find) that gives the wattage.   Mine is 2500 watts, so using that as a guide, it costs 0.875p 87.5p per hour at 0.35p 35p kwh.  A full load taking an hour and half to dry would cost £1.31.

Fixed for accuracy
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2022, 19:05:22 »

That sounds like day rate costs to me.

Surely it would be cheaper to dry it during the wee dark hours.

I never go to bed until the small hours so it's never a problem.
I'm guessing most of us are on a single rate.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2022, 19:16:03 »

Indeed with 13 amp fuse and 240 volts the fuse should only be able to take 3120Watts before it melts.
BS1362 Plug Top Fuses will take considerably more than rated for quite a while before failing
A 13 amp fuse should sit happy as Larry with 3kw up it  :D
IIRC 4.5Kw for 15 minutes
there's a rupture / fail /trip curve graph for UK plug top fuses ,and others for MCBs etc

that doesn't take into account Chinesium made crap "fuses" that may not ever blow in the event of a fault  :-X

We use a Ye Olde White night vented dryer to dry clothes ,hanging clothes on a line in the rain doesn't dry stuff much  :D

BUT , the vented steam/hot air from drying does go via a 4" pipe ,under the conservatory floor ,to the Koi pond building ,which heats that in winter .(aka heat recovery)

and a quid to have dry clothes to wear ,even in todays financial climate ,is OK by me  :P

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2022, 19:49:05 »

Most appliances that can draw considerable power from a plug for long periods are rated no more than around the 2-2.2 kW mark but that's irrelevant because once the dryer gets up to temperature its consumption will mainly be driven by how much water it's evaporating and how efficiently it's getting rid of that water, i.e. how much heat is lost in the process of drying the air again. Hence heat pump dryers are most efficient, followed by condensing and ventilated ones where they just expel the moist air outside and have to heat the replacement air from scratch.

If you're concerned, the best thing to do is get a power monitor / HOPI style device and measure it over a drying cycle.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2022, 19:54:47 »

There should be a sticker or plate on it somewhere (usually somewhere hard to find) that gives the wattage.   Mine is 2500 watts, so using that as a guide, it costs 0.875p 87.5p per hour at 0.35p 35p kwh.  A full load taking an hour and half to dry would cost £1.31.

Fixed for accuracy

Thanks. My CSE Grade 2 maths shows up now and again!  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2022, 12:53:31 »

There are some very clever bods on this forum who understand how 'elastictrickery' works, and how much it costs, far better than I do.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2023, 14:12:21 »

BS1362 Plug Top Fuses will take considerably more than rated for quite a while before failing
A 13 amp fuse should sit happy as Larry with 3kw up it  :D
IIRC 4.5Kw for 15 minutes
there's a rupture / fail /trip curve graph for UK plug top fuses ,and others for MCBs etc

that doesn't take into account Chinesium made crap "fuses" that may not ever blow in the event of a fault  :-X

We use a Ye Olde White night vented dryer to dry clothes ,hanging clothes on a line in the rain doesn't dry stuff much  :D

BUT , the vented steam/hot air from drying does go via a 4" pipe ,under the conservatory floor ,to the Koi pond building ,which heats that in winter .(aka heat recovery)

and a quid to have dry clothes to wear ,even in todays financial climate ,is OK by me  :P

25A for BS1362 13A fuses.........and should last a minimum of 10 seconds (and likely much longer!)

That said, more than 13A and the fuse will 'age' quite quickly (hence why 135A MIG sets occassionally blow the 13A fuse!)

Maximum UK continuous socket current is 13A and under the BS spec approved devices (And of course all devices sold/installed in the UK should be approved.....) have to operate at this for 8 hours without exceeding a maximum temperature rise. For me, a device which pulled much more than 8A indefinetly I would be avoiding and using a more suitable installation than a socket!

So in theory you could get (based on UK mains being 230V +10/-6% so 253V to 216V) 3.29kW to 2.8kW for a resistive element, this voltage variation gets exploited by some shower manufacturers who quote a 'peek' output rather than a typical to make it look more powerful!

Most tumble dryers made in the last 20 years are around the 2.4kW area, of course vented ones just run the heater pretty much constantly until the timer is up or the humidity in the exhaust has dropped to the turn off level

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2023, 10:20:20 »

You can always tell when the pensioner's of the parish are board,or there's no wist drives at the village hall, they post things that are totally daft. Could you not take the washing you take in to cover the fuel costs to the warm centre that they've opened to stop duffers dyeing of cold
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2023, 11:41:09 »

You can always tell when the pensioner's of the parish are board,or there's no wist drives at the village hall, they post things that are totally daft. Could you not take the washing you take in to cover the fuel costs to the warm centre that they've opened to stop duffers dyeing of cold
That sentence is proof that you don't have to be old to have Alzheimers  ;D
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2023, 18:01:50 »

You can always tell when the pensioner's of the parish are board, or there's no whist drives at the village hall, they post things that are totally daft. Could you not take the washing you take in to cover the fuel costs to the warm centre that they've opened to stop duffers dyeing of cold

If you do that would it mean you come back with differently coloured washing? ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 January 2023, 18:27:33 »

That sentence is proof that you don't have to be old to have Alzheimers  ;D

Poor old BG.........  :-\                                                                                                                               ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2023, 19:44:01 »

I told you before he’s not old👍😎😂
Laying a rubber road.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 January 2023, 22:11:49 »

I told you before he’s not old👍😎😂

Thankyou, for your support,👍🏻
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.