Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: sat navs  (Read 3911 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: sat navs
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2023, 11:27:09 »

I have a phone holder stuck on the windscreen and google maps on my phone. Never let me down.
Traffic updates, accident warnings with re-routes, what more do you need?
Every iPhone, every Windows phone, and every Galaxy phone I've had has been beyond shite, as the compass doesn't work right when vertical, moreso in a high magnetic interference area like a metal car...

...and then when you get to where you will get weaker GPS locks - woods, built up areas, high Kp, covered roads etc - its royally fooked.

Its a complete last resort for me, behind the road atlas.
Yes....but nothing works for you, even if it manages to make it to your front door  ;D
I've never, ever had any sort of problem at all, even in the wilds of N Yorkshire, with google maps.  :P
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2023, 11:30:28 »

even in the wilds of N Yorkshire, with google maps.  :P
Thats the ideal location for portable satnavs - big skies, minimal corruption aside from that bloody great radar place, no crossroads etc ;)
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2023, 11:34:48 »

Thats the ideal location for portable satnavs - big skies, minimal corruption aside from that bloody great radar place, no crossroads etc ;)
Try the Great Yorkshire Forest, with 60 metre high trees for miles and miles. Google maps found all the little walking tracks round there.
Before a journey, it asks you if you want to download the route. I don't bother, but it's there.
Some people just won't accept that tech won't work everywhere, all the time. I'm slightly more forgiving. Plus, I usually have a rough idea of where I'm going.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 January 2023, 11:51:19 »

since having this french  car I have always had problems putting post codes into the satnav. apparently its something to do with the french only using 4 digits & advising using longitude/. latitude co-ordinates. i believe some owners have installed other satnav systems on theirs so going to look down that route
  i do have a decent Garmin which has free updates available that i have installed in the past tho I would rather be able to use the in car one,..when I first bought this motor i did go back to the dealers & asked for somebody to show me what I may be doing wrong & the guy sat next to me for quite a while . nor could he put s post code in.
That was annoying in a 2005 Vauxhall. In a car produced in the last 5 years not being able to enter a full postcode, regardless of the country is totally unacceptable.

My car is 2011 and it will take a full post code for any country between the Canaries and the Russian Border. Tech doesn't have to be infuriating to use.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 January 2023, 14:01:10 »

Actually it's 2010, but that reinforces my point.  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 January 2023, 16:35:54 »

Try the Great Yorkshire Forest, with 60 metre high trees for miles and miles. Google maps found all the little walking tracks round there.
Before a journey, it asks you if you want to download the route. I don't bother, but it's there.
Some people just won't accept that tech won't work everywhere, all the time. I'm slightly more forgiving. Plus, I usually have a rough idea of where I'm going.

Yes, that is the main thing people notice about you. You are very forgiving. :D ::) ::) ::) >:D
« Last Edit: 07 January 2023, 16:38:29 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 January 2023, 17:18:16 »

Yes, that is the main thing people notice about you. You are very forgiving. :D ::) ::) ::) >:D
:-* :-*
Diesel till I die

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 January 2023, 19:05:06 »

Not had any issues with hers, but hers is the poor mans version (DTM will know the exact designation) that you plug the SD into a computer.  I'm guessing yours is the OTA update version?

No, mine is the same, SD card that you update in a PC in theory.

Don't try and use it in Cornwall, is my advice. ;D

.. although I suppose it might be that the road designations are better with an up to date map.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 January 2023, 13:52:16 »

i have just updated my Garmin . on my laptop & using garmin express it estimated for a update of maps it would take 1hr 40mins but it actually took a lot less.  my daughter who lives in Hampshire has recently moved to a new house that her husband had built for them. they did have a static caravan & 2 mobile caravans on the land at one time & when it was my daughters 50th they put a marquee on site for a big do. i managed ok to get to Bordon Hants before i put the postcode in my cars nav. I set off but all it did was send me in a circle, 3 times i ended up at a car park near to where I,d set off from. the predicament I was in the only phone number i had was my daughters but as it was a surprise do phoning her was not an option. Luckily a grandson spotted me & all turned out ok.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 January 2023, 17:20:10 »

Very rarely use my satnav don't go anywhere I've never been before..😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 January 2023, 18:21:30 »

Very rarely use my satnav don't go anywhere I've never been before..😂

Crikey. How ultra boring.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 January 2023, 18:25:52 »

Whatsapp is big in Spain.  We just send tradesmen our map location and they have no problem. Unlike folk visiting from UK who say “ just give us your postcode” little realising that unlike uk postcodes, here they cover everything about 20 mile radius of the posttown.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 January 2023, 18:36:50 »

I've used sat-nav across all 4 corners of this country, and various points in the foreign, the worst place I've found for sat-navs is that London shxthole,  loss of GPS signal very common, worse unit was a Chinese thing off ebay,  the best unit I've found with no issues has been the Tom Tom, bearing in mind it's the latest Professional model is regularly updated.  Older units do struggle, when in a car just use Google maps works very well, I use it for last few miles if going to a new delivery,
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 January 2023, 19:15:03 »

I rate Google Maps and always have it on if doing a long trip, even if I know where I'm going as it'll route you around hold ups, give you warning of speed traps/crashes etc and you know what time you'll get there.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 January 2023, 07:15:52 »

Not had any issues with hers, but hers is the poor mans version (DTM will know the exact designation) that you plug the SD into a computer.  I'm guessing yours is the OTA update version?

No, mine is the same, SD card that you update in a PC in theory.

Don't try and use it in Cornwall, is my advice. ;D

.. although I suppose it might be that the road designations are better with an up to date map.
Is the SD OK?  And the standard one supplied is quite small (but plenty big enough for UK and a few other countries at the same time).  I haven't worked out yet how its locked to the car (presumably just an encrypted file with VIN etc).

I know you can copy the files to another SD, and that still works.  I have shit load of 64GB cards, which easily allows all of Europe, so I copied my files to one of them, and then plugged that into the PC, and allowed it to download all European maps, and thats what we use.

I can post you one with our files on if you want a go at cracking how its locked to the car, but I have no idea what will happen if you get it wrong - presumably all Nav and all Jaguar Voice stuff will stop working until it sees a card that is locked to it.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.