Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Doesn't Pay for me Anymore  (Read 2137 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
LPG Doesn't Pay for me Anymore
« on: 24 February 2011, 15:09:12 »

Hi guys,

Long time no speak, hope everyone is well.

I'm collecting a 3.0 Auto Elite Estate with 94k from a very reputable source on Sunday.

I had considered putting an LPG kit in, given the deal Teilo can provide, however, having done the sums, I don't think it pays anymore, given the cost of LPG in my locality.

My workings out are as follows:

70l petrol at £127.9p per litre costs £89.53.
At 26mpg, this will return 400 miles
This makes the cost of running on petrol 22.4p per mile

70l LPG at 79.9p per litre costs £55.93
At 22mpg, this will return 339 miles
This makes the cost of running on LPG 16.5 p per mile

Overall saving of running on gas is therefore in the region of 5p per mile. 79.9p is the cheapest I Can get gas within a 30 mile radius, and I no longer travel much, so wouldn't have access to cheaper stations on my travels.

Based on the above, for a DIY conversion costing £700, the cost of the LPG kit would not be recouperated for 14,000 miles.

I think I'm just going to stick to running on petrol, and keeping the car well maintained for best efficiency....
« Last Edit: 24 February 2011, 15:12:06 by JamesV6CDX »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Doesn't Pay for me Anymore
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2011, 15:29:29 »

when prices were cheaper, i re-covered my costs in around 3 months  :o - Just think after that though, its all profit!

Trouble is I don't think you keep a car long enough to pay it back, so wise decision  :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2011, 15:45:49 »

Small fast petrols or big engined diesels are the only way to be at the minute I think  :-/
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2011, 15:50:55 »

Small fast petrols or big engined diesels are the only way to be at the minute I think  :-/

To be honest, I can live with high fuel costs for local running around, because I really don't use the car much at all, midweek.

At weekends we will want to go away further afield - camping etc in the summer - but, the 3.0 will give me around 33mpg on long runs, which is 17p a mile - can happily live with this...  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2011, 16:12:08 »

This reminds me of diesel v petrol argument years ago. Diesels were much more economical to run and then the difference in price of diesel was changed to vastly reduce the savings.

My concern with LPG would be a similar hike in price would scupper any long term savings of an installation.

I want an old 1.9 diesel Suzuki 4x4 that hopefully I can run on treated chip fat. Plenty of that in our village. I could put a collection tank out rather than it disappearing.  ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2011, 21:23:17 »

Mine still produces the goods. My 120 Mile per day works out at about £14 on LPG, and £23 on petrol, so saving £9 per day.

Covers the cost of a few pints  :y

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2011, 22:17:40 »

looking at "individual" prices. or prices over a short term, can be deceptive ...  my "spreadsheet" tries to be objective .. whenever I fill up with LPG I also note the unleaded price at the same time and use that for my calculations of savings.

A quick check back over 3 years shows that the "difference" in price has actually increased in p/ltr from 46 to 56 !! but as a % is has remained almost stable, showing a less than 2% decrease.

Present prices for me are 73.92 p/ltr LPG and 129.9 p/ltr unleaded which is still giving me an average saving of 9 p/mile.

:)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2011, 22:59:00 »

When you add in the fact that James sells the car about 2 weeks after getting it sorted then there's not much point in LPGing it ;D

Sorry James I couldn't help it ::)
Retired

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2011, 23:01:49 »

What sort of price is a half decent LPG kit?

Is it the sort of thing that even I could fit myself? Or is it the sort of job that is likely to lead to even more problems?

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2011, 23:36:17 »

Cost of kit - approx. £750. There are guides on here to help fit it (although the v6 front end guide isnt there yet, but should be soon) and plenty of good advice is available from people who have done it - and done it properly. :y
« Last Edit: 24 February 2011, 23:37:59 by albitz »

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2011, 00:39:13 »

I am humming and harring about this ::) When I bought this Mig I intended to LPg it, having bought this giving up a more economical diesel :'(  More recently my idea to lpg it has come into question :-/ and most lately the idea of buying a sub£1k diesel for work and keeping the Mig for weekends is favourite....... :-/ :-/ :-/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2011, 10:12:14 »

I am humming and harring about this ::) When I bought this Mig I intended to LPg it, having bought this giving up a more economical diesel :'(  More recently my idea to lpg it has come into question :-/ and most lately the idea of buying a sub£1k diesel for work and keeping the Mig for weekends is favourite....... :-/ :-/ :-/

thats the route I took,bought a cheap 406 hdi (lovely drive as well) and in the few months that I have owned it its paid for itself already,my mig does around 23mpg knocking around locally and the 406 is doing late 40's mpg(best I've seen is 51 :D)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2011, 10:46:42 »

thats the route I took,bought a cheap 406 hdi (lovely drive as well) and in the few months that I have owned it its paid for itself already,my mig does around 23mpg knocking around locally and the 406 is doing late 40's mpg(best I've seen is 51 :D)

Exactly the same for me!!

I keep my mig for weekends and she returns aprrox. 25mpg.  For my daily hack to work, I bought an on cavvy 1.7 td (for £280!!!!) and I get 50+mpg all day long!!

It's not the most luxurious form of transport, and I do have to do a few running repairs, but on the plus side, cavvys are fairly easy to work on, and I don't 'alf appreciate the mig at weekends!!  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2011, 10:49:39 »

the idea of buying a sub£1k diesel for work and keeping the Mig for weekends is favourite....... :-/ :-/ :-/
Almost what I do, except instead of a diesel, I use a LPG MV6 ::)

I dithered for about 4yrs over LPG, mainly due to wanting the boot space, which I rarely used. Wish I'd done it years ago, rather than last year. Still, I'm in profit now :)
Grumpy old man

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2011, 11:50:25 »

Just done a check, total cost of my system that Ive started to install yesterday with vat and del is:- 723.60, this with a 77Ltr 4 hole full toroidal tank to go in spare wheel well of my estate. I'm well pleased with that cost, anyway just been in for a cuppa need to get back to it :y :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.