Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did the front brakes today...  (Read 788 times)

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
Did the front brakes today...
« on: 06 February 2009, 18:57:32 »

And what a complete ballache it was...

First had to find a thin-profile 17mm spanner...  So while out, bought a new Draper 1/2" socket set too (last one is missing 90% of its bits)

Disc retaining bolts were rounded off on BOTH sides, so had fun getting the damned things out...  Discs were also completely seized onto the hub too, no amount of hammering or pulling got anywhere so ended up putting nearly my entire weight on a jimmy bar before they 'popped' off...

There were *no* wear sensors attached at all.  The plugs where they attach were knackered, so also had to replace those... And also get new plastic clips to hold the cable in place...

So finally got everything new fitted, greased the hub and disc face so to stop things sticking together again, new wear sensors fitted...  Then noticed there were no spring retaining clips, so need to order those tomorrow & get them fitted...

All in, braking efficiency has increased atleast ten-fold!  There was about 1mm or so friction material on the drivers side, and around 3mm on the passenger side.  Brake pads were also different makes on both sides (so wondering if they were replaced independently at different times)

Fun stuff...
Humbugs...

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
Re: Did the front brakes today...
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2009, 19:00:02 »

At least you stuck at it and done the job properly.

Good on you :y
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

nick v6

• Omega Baron
  • walsall / west midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2009, 19:00:43 »

First had to find a thin-profile 17mm spanner...  So while out, bought a new Draper 1/2" socket set too (last one is missing 90% of its bits)

Disc retaining bolts were rounded off on BOTH sides, so had fun getting the damned things out...  Discs were also completely seized onto the hub too, no amount of hammering or pulling got anywhere so ended up putting nearly my entire weight on a jimmy bar before they 'popped' off...

There were *no* wear sensors attached at all.  The plugs where they attach were knackered, so also had to replace those... And also get new plastic clips to hold the cable in place...

So finally got everything new fitted, greased the hub and disc face so to stop things sticking together again, new wear sensors fitted...  Then noticed there were no spring retaining clips, so need to order those tomorrow & get them fitted...

All in, braking efficiency has increased atleast ten-fold!  There was about 1mm or so friction material on the drivers side, and around 3mm on the passenger side.  Brake pads were also different makes on both sides (so wondering if they were replaced independently at different times)

Fun stuff...

does my head in that does when people do that
only change 1 side if the other side is ok
when i was in the garage i saw loads of cars like it
then you get people wonder why when they hit the brake it pulls
just need to tax the tank now:)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2009, 19:07:00 »

So finally got everything new fitted, greased the hub and disc face so to stop things sticking together again, new wear sensors fitted... Then noticed there were no spring retaining clips, so need to order those tomorrow & get them fitted...

Fun stuff...

What spring retaining clips?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2009, 19:20:53 »

Anti-rattle clips I would think.  :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2009, 19:25:50 »

Thought the only springy clippy thingys were already attached to the pads, straight from the box?   :-/

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2009, 19:25:57 »

They are fitted to the brake pad :-/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2009, 20:05:41 »

the springs on top of the brake pads? where the sensor clips on, has a spring (as such) which is pushed down when the caliper comes down.

Guessing to keep the pad firmly in place

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2009, 20:07:45 »

the springs on top of the brake pads? where the sensor clips on, has a spring (as such) which is pushed down when the caliper comes down.

Sensor clips to the butterfly spring. The anti-rattle sits againstthe top of the pads & hook under the pad retaining pins at each end.

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2009, 20:09:50 »

Sensor clips to the butterfly spring. The anti-rattle sits againstthe top of the pads & hook under the pad retaining pins at each end.
Pad retaining pins are on the rear brakes not the fronts :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2009, 20:17:10 »

Pad retaining pins are on the rear brakes not the fronts :-/

Well done!! I wondered when someone would spot my deliberate mistake! ::)
But the sensors still don't clip to the front anti-rattle springs!  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2009, 20:26:34 »

So finally got everything new fitted, greased the hub and disc face so to stop things sticking together again, new wear sensors fitted... Then noticed there were no spring retaining clips, so need to order those tomorrow & get them fitted...

Fun stuff...

Maybe Paul didnt fit vx pads, and the 'other' make didnt come with springs fitted to the pads??  :-/

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2009, 23:14:34 »

Fun stuff...

Maybe Paul didnt fit vx pads, and the 'other' make didnt come with springs fitted to the pads??  :-/

No I fitted genuine VX pads (bought last week)...

Thought they still had something like this...

But guess not, so no worries there then :)
Humbugs...

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 February 2009, 23:22:22 »

that's the old 2.0 type if I'm not mistaken.

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 February 2009, 23:23:15 »

Fair enough then  ;D

I'm too used to the ATE setup, the whole Lucas one threw me a bit with its randomness
Humbugs...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.