Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How times change...  (Read 3324 times)

05omegav6

How times change...
« on: 08 November 2012, 16:10:31 »

Just found a boatyard receipt from 2002...

102 litres of, admittedly red, diesel

Total paid £34.68.

Ten years later and you can put a 1 in front of that :'(

Taxi_Driver

Re: How times change...
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2012, 18:30:18 »

I know Omegas are sometimes called 'barges'

Did you have a td you used as a taxi, back then  ::) ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2012, 19:05:22 »

Rather unfortunately I can go back to a time when petrol was 7/6d [37.5p]aGALLON!!Recall people also saying at one time "Petrol a £1 a gallon never happen"!!You also had a choice of 3,4 or 5 star fuel.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2012, 19:07:01 »

Rather unfortunately I can go back to a time when petrol was 7/6d [37.5p]aGALLON!!Recall people also saying at one time "Petrol a £1 a gallon never happen"!!You also had a choice of 3,4 or 5 star fuel.
You missed 2 star.  My Triumph Acclaim ran on 2 star.
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2012, 19:10:49 »

Thats expensive - I use to buy 4 star @ 4/4p a gallon - 4 gallons and change from a pound!!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2012, 19:21:40 »

I currently get fuel for my Cavalier 1.7TD for between 0p and 50p per litre. It broke my heart having to drive an LPG,d Omega to work today. :D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2012, 20:03:17 »

;D sadly not ::)

Only ever owned 2 diseasals, a 1.9 cdti Vectra C for 6 months, which was very quick, but also very crap, and a SEAT Altea XL for 2 years, which oddly enough was also crap. Bought my first Omega in 2005, and that was only because I couldn't bring myself to buy a frog faced Scorpio ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2012, 20:25:08 »

Thats expensive - I use to buy 4 star @ 4/4p a gallon - 4 gallons and change from a pound!!

When I was a kid I loved folks like you ...sometimes ...  "4 gallons of best sir? and would you like your oil and tyres checked and the windscreen cleaned ? ... certainly sir ... everythings fine that'll be 17s 4d sir, from a £1 I'll fetch the change sir ... keep it sir ?? thank you very much " ....   didn't always happen but I expected to make a couple of quid in tips on a saturday morning .. :) I did find that when "best" reached 4s 9d I actually made more tips from the odd shilling than the few bigger ones from before !!

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2012, 20:46:28 »

;D sadly not ::)

Only ever owned 2 diseasals, a 1.9 cdti Vectra C for 6 months, which was very quick, but also very crap, and a SEAT Altea XL for 2 years, which oddly enough was also crap. Bought my first Omega in 2005, and that was only because I couldn't bring myself to buy a frog faced Scorpio ;D

Lovely car that and can be bought for pence now with optional rust , i nearly bought one too  :-X

cleggy

« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2012, 20:49:49 »

When I was a kid I loved folks like you ...sometimes ...  "4 gallons of best sir? and would you like your oil and tyres checked and the windscreen cleaned ? ... certainly sir ... everythings fine that'll be 17s 4d sir, from a £1 I'll fetch the change sir ... keep it sir ?? thank you very much " ....   didn't always happen but I expected to make a couple of quid in tips on a saturday morning .. :) I did find that when "best" reached 4s 9d I actually made more tips from the odd shilling than the few bigger ones from before !!

Good god over 1/2 a dollar tip that's a packet of fags, or two pints of best bitter in the lounge, with a packet of crisp in the tap room.  ::) ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2012, 20:55:02 »

Actually had the car filled at an attended service station yesterday 8) Nice touch, I thought :y And only a penny dearer than the cheapest fuel on that journey, (£1.36) :y

Picador, formerly Pats Garage, in Lyndhurst if you happen to be down that way :y

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2012, 20:59:13 »

I had an 'after school' job at a petrol station (14 yrs old and legally filling cars with fuel :o ). A gallon was 25p.
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2012, 21:13:36 »

I had an 'after school' job at a petrol station (14 yrs old and legally filling cars with fuel :o ). A gallon was 5s 0d

Fixed that for you !!!   :)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2012, 21:17:09 »

I had an 'after school' job at a petrol station (14 yrs old and legally filling cars with fuel :o ). A gallon was 5s 0d

:D :D :y

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2012, 21:23:07 »

Nah, decimalisation had happened about 7 yrs earlier.   :y
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.