Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPG?  (Read 1142 times)

charlieboy

• Harleston, Norfolk
  • CIMG0035-2.jpg
    • View Profile
MPG?
« on: 18 April 2008, 18:18:29 »

HI, after successfuly towing with my 2.6auto the one problem i found was my MPG. It is normally around 24.6 it stayed the same while towing 197 miles, Is this what members mean to have a tech2 to update my comp. asI think my MPG towing would be around 16/18MPG,  My local Vaux garage have the Tech 2 facility, any members know how much this would cost,, many thanks :)
charlieboy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: MPG?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2008, 18:41:34 »

I don't see the problem, TBH. I would imagine that you were probably cruising a bit slower when towing so what you lost with the increased load you gained by driving at a more efficient speed. My 3.2 does about 25 MPG towing a moderate sized trailer on a motorway run and about 18 MPG towing at the max towing weight on mixed roads.

I don't see how a tech 2 would help.

If you are concerned that the MID is displaying incorrect MPG do a brim to brim check on a tank of fuel and calculate it manually to compare.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

charlieboy

• Harleston, Norfolk
  • CIMG0035-2.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2008, 20:36:15 »

thanks Kevin, I did a rough check by calulating the miles I travelled and the fuel I used I put in £56.00 of petrol done 180 miles and had left in the tank roughly the same as when I filled up.  I worked this out as approx. 30p a mile towing. do you think this is reasonable?
charlieboy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2008, 20:57:41 »

did you 'zero' the mpg on the computer? I dodn't actuall know how many miles driven it uses to calculate the average, but it can take quite a few for the average consumption to alter.

albitz

« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2008, 21:01:55 »

did you 'zero' the mpg on the computer? I dodn't actuall know how many miles driven it uses to calculate the average, but it can take quite a few for the average consumption to alter.
agree...the more miles it has covered since last being zeroed the more miles you will need to do to alter the average mpg figure.some dont get zeroed for years :y

charlieboy

• Harleston, Norfolk
  • CIMG0035-2.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2008, 21:03:56 »

hi Andy,I zerod the speedometer and did notice travelling the 180 miles the reading went from 24.8 to 24.3 during the 180 miles which surely isnt right....
charlieboy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2008, 21:15:20 »

hi Andy,I zerod the speedometer and did notice travelling the 180 miles the reading went from 24.8 to 24.3 during the 180 miles which surely isnt right....

I wish I could get 24.? around town let alone with my 'van on the back. Mine's been as low as 16 mpg while towing.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2008, 21:24:51 »

You need to zero the trip computer too... I try to remember to zero mine every time I fill up!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2008, 21:31:19 »

You need to zero the trip computer too... I try to remember to zero mine every time I fill up!

The mpg is slowly on the up at the moment after being down around 18 after towing my 'van to Edinburgh-ish. It's about 20 at the minute after my wasted journey to Gainsborough!  >:(

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2008, 21:33:58 »

yup........its this that needs zeroing to check your mpg :y

charlieboy

• Harleston, Norfolk
  • CIMG0035-2.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2008, 21:56:51 »

thanks Andy and ALbitz for info, I am an oldie, so excuse the ignorance, but how (in laymans terms) do you zero the computor?
charlieboy

albitz

« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2008, 22:00:51 »

thanks Andy and ALbitz for info, I am an oldie, so excuse the ignorance, but how (in laymans terms) do you zero the computor?
its on the end of the wiper stalk ,tbh i cant remember the exact procedure without being sat in the car ,i will try to work it out tomorrow when im in the car and get back to you ,unless someone with a better memory tells you first :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2008, 22:07:50 »

its on the end of the wiper stalk ,tbh i cant remember the exact procedure without being sat in the car ,i will try to work it out tomorrow when im in the car and get back to you ,unless someone with a better memory tells you first :y

What he said ;D you press one of the buttons to scoll through the fuctionss, press & hold the other will zero it ie mpg, range trip consumption.

charlieboy

• Harleston, Norfolk
  • CIMG0035-2.jpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2008, 22:15:29 »

thanks I have flicked through this, but didnt make any difference, I now know I must hold down 1 button while scrolling the other, I will give that a go in the morning.... thanks chaps
charlieboy

albitz

« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2008, 19:34:31 »

on mine there are 2 buttons on the end of the wiper stalk,the upper one with an R for reset beside it needs to be pushed in for a few seconds to zero the settings.later cars may be different tho,im not sure. :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.