Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fifth Gear on Monday.  (Read 1411 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Fifth Gear on Monday.
« on: 03 October 2007, 09:44:20 »

Did any of you guys see Fifth Gear on Monday ( i dont think that it is as good a TOP GEAR) :y. They had a part where they tested the petrol additives and octane boosters and found that not only did they not help with the BHP or power but that the cars lost power when they where used.

Just wanted to know your options.

I belive that TOP GEAR is back on Sunday i think :D
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Martin_1962

Re: Fifth Gear on Monday.
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2007, 09:55:19 »

Depends if your car would benefit or not, tuned engines would

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2007, 10:09:18 »

I didn't see the 5th gear in question but most of 5th gear's "tests" are total rubbish because nobody behind the show appears to know anything about cars IMHO.

They did a back to back test of a load of "big" sports cars against the likes of Caterhams, Aerial Atoms, etc in one show I watched. I could have told them the results before they even bothered. Yes, of course a Caterham will whip a 911 on an autotest circuit and, surprise, surprise, a DB9 beats an Aerial Atom on a 2 mile drag down a long straight section of runway. A total waste of petrol doing tests like that. Now, put the Caterham against the Atom and it might have been less of a load of drivel.

Now, with petrol additives and octane boosters you will end up with less or the same power unless you recognise the correct circumstances to use them. They dilute the petrol with something that doesn't burn, at the most basic level, after all.

Put octane booster in a factory standard Corsa and it'll do nothing whatsoever. Get a race tuned engine with 12:1 compression and a tankful of supermarket petrol and it'll make the world of difference to how that engine runs. It will probably save it from being wrecked, in fact. If you don't start out with an understanding of what the product does, you won't test it in a meaningful way.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2007, 10:23:25 »

I didn't see the 5th gear in question but most of 5th gear's "tests" are total rubbish because nobody behind the show appears to know anything about cars IMHO.

They did a back to back test of a load of "big" sports cars against the likes of Caterhams, Aerial Atoms, etc in one show I watched. I could have told them the results before they even bothered. Yes, of course a Caterham will whip a 911 on an autotest circuit and, surprise, surprise, a DB9 beats an Aerial Atom on a 2 mile drag down a long straight section of runway. A total waste of petrol doing tests like that. Now, put the Caterham against the Atom and it might have been less of a load of drivel.

Now, with petrol additives and octane boosters you will end up with less or the same power unless you recognise the correct circumstances to use them. They dilute the petrol with something that doesn't burn, at the most basic level, after all.

Put octane booster in a factory standard Corsa and it'll do nothing whatsoever. Get a race tuned engine with 12:1 compression and a tankful of supermarket petrol and it'll make the world of difference to how that engine runs. It will probably save it from being wrecked, in fact. If you don't start out with an understanding of what the product does, you won't test it in a meaningful way.

Kevin

Well said & pretty much how the tests were done.
At least two of additives used specifically said they were for use in tuned/race engines.

It's the first time I've watched it & won't go out of my way to see it again......
« Last Edit: 03 October 2007, 10:24:46 by paulmccristall »
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2007, 10:24:40 »

Know what you mean. When i saw the test it looked as if there was no Method to there madness Took it all with a very large pinch of salt.  
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2007, 10:28:24 »

I dont think that Fith gear should be taken so serious,

its ok to watch, but i tend to agree with sp 3.2 take it all with a pinch of salt.

The Ultimate car series for me has and will allways be Top Gear :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2007, 10:37:25 »

Top Gear 'aint so serious either but it is good entertainment loosely themed around cars :y

My wife went on an episode of "used car heaven" once and I went along to watch. It was quite interesting. I drove the cars she tested (Hyundai Coupe, Honda Civic and PT Cruiser - bit of an odd bunch) and one of the guys from 5th gear was there doing a review on the PT Cruiser. He didn't even drive it. Just turned up and spouted out a load of nonsense about its' smooth, powerful V6 engine, etc. etc. He was just making it up! The car he was talking about, which I'd driven 5 minutes earlier, had a gutless, rough 4 cylinder engine.  ::)

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2007, 10:41:00 »

Top Gear 'aint so serious either but it is good entertainment loosely themed around cars :y

My wife went on an episode of "used car heaven" once and I went along to watch. It was quite interesting. I drove the cars she tested (Hyundai Coupe, Honda Civic and PT Cruiser - bit of an odd bunch) and one of the guys from 5th gear was there doing a review on the PT Cruiser. He didn't even drive it. Just turned up and spouted out a load of nonsense about its' smooth, powerful V6 engine, etc. etc. He was just making it up! The car he was talking about, which I'd driven 5 minutes earlier, had a gutless, rough 4 cylinder engine.  ::)

Kevin

Yes  it is a good fun Programm.

So tell me is there a programm that we could trust?

or are they just there to pull in the Viewers?

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2007, 11:03:17 »

The blonde girl's nice to watch though!!   ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2007, 11:08:41 »

or are they just there to pull in the Viewers?

That's the one, I think.

Problem is, they all talk about new cars 90% of the time. Quite apart from the fact that I find it hard to get excited about any current car models* I also am not in the market for spending 10's of thousands of quid on a new car, so the content is irrelevant to me from the start. If it happens to be delivered in an amusing way, that makes all the difference.

Kevin

* - models within my grasp, at any rate ::)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2007, 12:12:52 »

Did Top Gear ever do a review of the Omega i have been looking on the internet for months but can not find it?. :-?

It would make my day to see them do a part on How the Omega is set to be a Classic car in years to come ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2007, 12:14:03 »

Did Top Gear ever do a review of the Omega i have been looking on the internet for months but can not find it?. :-?

It would make my day to see them do a part on How the Omega is set to be a Classic car in years to come ;D

I hope it wasn't Clarkson who tested it  :-?

Kevin

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2007, 12:20:44 »

I hope it wasn't Clarkson who tested it  :-?

Kevin

He likes them!

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2007, 12:45:56 »

Quentin Wilson did one about four or five years ago but I can't remember which programme it was on. He said that the Omega was a great second hand buy which was why I bought mine.  :)
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2007, 12:49:45 »

There was a thread on here a couple of Months ago which covered this.

I think that someone posted that if a rolls wasnt available for him(Clarkson) to be driven in, then he would not be

upset to be sat in the back of an Omega  :y
« Last Edit: 03 October 2007, 12:50:39 by Crazydad »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.