Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: laser speed traps  (Read 1343 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
laser speed traps
« on: 09 October 2007, 23:25:29 »

Shamelessly(sp?) nicked the link from elsewhere :- http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/?N=190%2520410&Ns=P_Publication_Date%257C1

As previously said .... discuss!  :y
« Last Edit: 09 October 2007, 23:27:48 by Andy_B »

Martin_1962

Re: laser speed traps
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2007, 09:57:36 »

Ah  the LTI-2020 range finder kit being used for speed trapping.

It is not speed measuring kit - it is for rangefinding.

If you get one - dispute it!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2007, 19:21:29 »

Why, if you were speeding? Fair cop in my book.

Obviously, if you weren't, then dispute it.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2007, 19:43:05 »

So if a range finder guesses you were doing 43 and you think you were doing 35 you would not complain?

It is NOT speed trapping equipment so fight it

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2007, 19:45:48 »

Lets say I have been rangefindered and I was doing nothing like the speed, it said EXACTLY 50mph - I was a lot slower. However didn't get past the driver identification.

Martin_1962

« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2007, 19:47:11 »

Hang on you regularly go fast, but would be happy to pay, I only count accurate trapping as a fair cop, if it is dodgy kit (LTI-2020) or wrong value - fight it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2007, 20:08:40 »

So if a range finder guesses you were doing 43 and you think you were doing 35 you would not complain?

It is NOT speed trapping equipment so fight it
As I said, if you were not speeding, then dispute it. But if you were speeding, why fight it. You (hopefully) know the limit, and (hopefully) know your speed, so no excuse, and hence take the fine/points gracefully.

Everyone trying to dispute it, even when they obviously were breaking the law, only clogs up the courts, and costs taxpayers loads of dosh.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2007, 20:13:28 »

Hang on you regularly go fast, but would be happy to pay, I only count accurate trapping as a fair cop, if it is dodgy kit (LTI-2020) or wrong value - fight it
LTI2020 appears to be quite accurate if used properly.

Caught speeding, under any circumstance, is fair cop in my book.  There may be circumstances that makes it more acceptable (some dire emergency etc?).

Remember, generally, there plod cars are dayglow coloured, vans have reflective strips, cameras are bright.  Yes, occasionally, there are well hidden, and plod use unmarked cars, but the fact of the matter is that if you are breaking the speed limit, if you get caught, you have no excuse.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2007, 22:19:40 »

There are a lot of horror stories over the LTI2020, it was not designed for speed trap usage for a start.

The nearest to an accurate method I know of is Specs, Gatso and LTI-2020 are both capable of being inaccurate. I have been flashed quite a few times by Gatsos when within the limit.

Personally I think a Policemen in hi visibilty vest with hand held speed gun and the ability to weed out errors is best.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2007, 22:21:41 »

There are a lot of horror stories over the LTI2020, it was not designed for speed trap usage for a start.

The nearest to an accurate method I know of is Specs, Gatso and LTI-2020 are both capable of being inaccurate. I have been flashed quite a few times by Gatsos when within the limit.

Personally I think a Policemen in hi visibilty vest with hand held speed gun and the ability to weed out errors is best.
Ah, but have you been prosecuted for it, or do the other failsafe procedures prevent that happening ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2007, 22:22:43 »

The V6 wasn't designed for running on fart juice. Doesn't stop it being adapted though, does it ;)
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2007, 22:25:47 »

Ah, but have you been prosecuted for it, or do the other failsafe procedures prevent that happening ;)

No I haven't - but I still don't trust them

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 10 October 2007, 22:26:44 »

The V6 wasn't designed for running on fart juice. Doesn't stop it being adapted though, does it ;)

Probably find that they were designed to run on decent quality petrol and the supermarket stuff does them no good

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2007, 22:29:32 »

I spotted one of them a week ago in a 30 limit. Car speedo said 33. Tom tom said 30 so I carried on. I'd seen him about half a mile away on a dead straight road so unlikely that he got a reading before I saw him.

Got a letter in the post saying I was recorded exceeding the limit and whilst they are satisfied an occence was committed no action will be taken on this occasion :o

Now, I know GPS isn't 100% reliable in all circumstances but it consistently reads about 3 MPH lower than the speedo at that speed. OK. Worst case scenario. What if I was doing 33? What's the tolerance on their measurement? How can they be so satisfied that an offence was being committed? And was it worth the administrative hassle and expense of sending me a letter telling me they weren't going to do anything?

Kept my shredder occupied for about 3 seconds.  ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.