Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver's door window  (Read 1980 times)

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
Driver's door window
« on: 04 October 2008, 08:42:04 »

My driver's door window just suddenly stopped working (whilst closed thankfully).

It clicks when you press the button, but nothing happens; almost like the moter is overloaded because it is blocked in some way. I have taken the interior card off, but can't see anything wrong.

Someone has offered me a new mechanism/motor, but the original is all rivetted to the door so I am out of my depth. Is there someone who would be willing to take a look and if possible fix it for a good, but fair rate?

Thanks

Nathan

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Driver's door window
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2008, 09:27:29 »

You tried with door open and someone assisting the window down with a hand either side the glass when the switch is depressed?  Might just be a sticky runner...

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2008, 09:41:09 »

Yep, tried that. I didn't want to "assist" too much as I have had a nasty experience of breaking the clips on a PUG 306 that then was a right PITA to get fixed.

Really hoping to get it fixed by someone :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2008, 13:45:38 »

It's not too difficult to replace the motor mechanism if needed, though, as you say, it needs the pop rivets drilling out. If you have side air bags you'll probably need to remove the pop rivets from the plate in the bottom of the door for access too.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2008, 13:47:56 »

Mmmm, the rivets and airbag issues are why I think I need to ask for someone to at least help me.

I'd also like to try to diagnose it 1st, just to make sure that replacing the motor/mechanism doesn't actually solve the problem.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2008, 15:19:31 »

my drivers door window stopped working over a year ago  ::)

Combination of rivets, airbag sensor, fiddly stuff is in the way.

Never bothered it get it fixed, i hardly ever use the window. Who needs to with climate control.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2008, 15:55:52 »

Never bothered it get it fixed, i hardly ever use the window. Who needs to with climate control.

Me; I smoke :-[

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2008, 15:56:52 »

Now you got an excuse to quit  :y

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2008, 16:02:14 »

Now you got an excuse to quit  :y

Bugger off! I like smoking and I want my window fixed.  :P

I am very fortunate that pretty much everything on my car works perfectly and I want them all to work (Call it OCD if you like, but there you go).

BTW: I think I saw you around the Brackley area in your MIG about 4 or 5 weeks ago. As we pulled off a roundabout on a bit of dual-carriageway a fat bloke in a dark blue Rover 75 cut you up really badly from the outside lane.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2008, 16:06:59 »

quite possible, however i can't remember what happened 5 days ago  ;D

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2008, 16:25:28 »

got a complete mech and motor here nath  :y

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2008, 16:28:19 »

got a complete mech and motor here nath  :y

PM Sent

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2008, 16:54:55 »

Does anyone know whether the pre-facelift window motor and mechanisms are the same as the facelift ones?

Mark has offered me a pre-facelift motor and mechanism and is 99% sure they're the same, but advised me to check to see if anyone else knows for sure.

Thanks

Nathan

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2008, 17:16:14 »

Does anyone know whether the pre-facelift window motor and mechanisms are the same as the facelift ones?

Mark has offered me a pre-facelift motor and mechanism and is 99% sure they're the same, but advised me to check to see if anyone else knows for sure.

Thanks

Nathan

I don't specifically know but, if the doors are the same, I can't see any reason for the mechanism to be different.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2008, 17:21:49 »

Mmmm, the rivets and airbag issues are why I think I need to ask for someone to at least help me.

You just need a drill about 6mm to drill the heads off the rivets. The air pressure switch in the door (blue thing) can stay plugged in if you want, as the steel plate/cover has as slot in it for the loom. Just leave the ignition switched off, or for belts & braces, disconnect the battery too, to be doubly sure. :y

Tha'll be reet!  :y  :y  ;D

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2008, 17:47:07 »

I'd also like to try to diagnose it 1st, just to make sure that replacing the motor/mechanism doesn't actually solve the problem.

Any ideas folks?

:-/

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2008, 02:30:51 »

Any ideas folks?

:-/

Give up smokeing you weak minded individual. Before you die a long and lingering death... you dont like smoking it makes you think you do, thats how it works... Opening the window will make no differance to the stink in the car, dont help him fix it until he gives up. For the cars sake if not his own...
« Last Edit: 05 October 2008, 02:32:15 by chrisgixer »

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 October 2008, 02:50:02 »

Bog off, you self righteous bloke you. :P
« Last Edit: 05 October 2008, 19:39:37 by Albatross »

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 05 October 2008, 03:10:00 »

Bog off, you self riteous bloke you.
All bs for... I cant give up! Cant do it can you! Ill give up being self righteous if you give up smoking? :)

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 October 2008, 08:57:36 »

I haven't asked for life advice and would rather not be getting it. This is a forum for asking for help on the Omega, not how to live your life.

I have asked for some advice, and perhaps some hands on help, in trying to fix a broken part of my car. Please leave it mate as it is beginning to wear thin with me now. It's not that I can't take a joke, but I have asked once; and I also think that there are sections of this forum for a reason. This isn't General Chat it is Omega General Help.

Let's take the smoking issue and put it to a debate on another section, at which point I will immedaiately concede that you are right and I should stop, but I still want my window to work.

« Last Edit: 05 October 2008, 10:28:01 by Albatross »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 October 2008, 10:15:15 »

I haveb't asked for life advice and would rather not be getting it. This is a forum for asking for help on the Omega, not how to live your life.

I have asked for some advice, and perhaps some hands on help, in trying to fix a broken part of my car. Please leave it mate as it is beginning to wear thin with me now. It's not that I can't take a joke, but I have asked once; and I also think that there are sections of this forum for a reason. This isn't General Chat it is Omega General Help.

Let take the smoking issue and put it to a deate on another section, at which point I will immedaiately concede that you are right and I should stop, but I still want my window to work.

Well said! :y

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2008, 17:43:49 »

OK then, does anyone know of a trustworthy garage that I could take this to that isn't that far from Bedford (25 miles radius or so).

Thanks

Nathan

markey mark

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 October 2008, 17:49:44 »

if you wernt so far away nath would do it for you mate  :(

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 October 2008, 17:57:50 »

I haven't asked for life advice and would rather not be getting it. This is a forum for asking for help on the Omega, not how to live your life.

Let's take the smoking issue and put it to a debate on another section, at which point I will immedaiately concede that you are right and I should stop, but I still want my window to work.

Agreed.

Give up smokeing you weak minded individual. Before you die a long and lingering death... you dont like smoking it makes you think you do, thats how it works... Opening the window will make no differance to the stink in the car, dont help him fix it until he gives up. For the cars sake if not his own...

If anyone wants to pontificate on the rights and wrongs of smoking, burning, brazing, branding or any other issue thats close to their heart, use genchat.  This section is for tech advice, not an opportunity for anyone to impose their lifestyle thoughts or teachings on anyone else....    >:(
« Last Edit: 05 October 2008, 18:00:12 by hotel21 »

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 October 2008, 18:18:13 »

That's a very kind offer; thanks.

According to Google Maps you're about 121 miles away which, by my reckoning, is about 2 - 3 hours away.

I could stomach that drive if it came to it; would you mind if I keep that option open and see if anything more local comes up? I suppose the advantage of coming to you is that it saves the postage costs of sending the replacement parts down if they are needed.

Thanks again, that's a kind offer. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 October 2008, 18:48:27 »

If you find a place that does a good job for not much cash, show me, cause i need mine done at some point.

Thing is most places will charge a fortune to strip that down.

I can take the door card off easy enough, but its the rivets, airbag sensor and actually replacing the motor which scares me.

markey mark

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 October 2008, 18:55:06 »

According to Google Maps you're about 121 miles away which, by my reckoning, is about 2 - 3 hours away.

I could stomach that drive if it came to it; would you mind if I keep that option open and see if anything more local comes up? I suppose the advantage of coming to you is that it saves the postage costs of sending the replacement parts down if they are needed.

no worries mate let me know !  :y

markey mark

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 October 2008, 18:55:41 »

If you find a place that does a good job for not much cash, show me, cause i need mine done at some point.

Thing is most places will charge a fortune to strip that down.

I can take the door card off easy enough, but its the rivets, airbag sensor and actually replacing the motor which scares me.

same for you tunnie will fit at my house no worries  :y

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 October 2008, 23:00:55 »

no worries mate let me know !  :y

Mark,

Just sent you a PM :y

BigAl

• Bromley, Kent
    • '07 Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 October 2008, 00:17:02 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Admin people - this is an offensive post - the original poster was asking car advice - not lifestyle >:( :( >:(

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06 October 2008, 09:51:56 »

[

[/quote]

Agreed.  And I answered it....  Check back the thread a ways...

Agreed.

If anyone wants to pontificate on the rights and wrongs of smoking, burning, brazing, branding or any other issue thats close to their heart, use genchat.  This section is for tech advice, not an opportunity for anyone to impose their lifestyle thoughts or teachings on anyone else....    >:(  

« Last Edit: 06 October 2008, 09:54:40 by hotel21 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.