Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre wear  (Read 3959 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Tyre wear
« on: 18 May 2009, 22:30:51 »

Car was MOT'd a couple of months back with no problems, and nothing at all said about the tyres. Noticed the other day whilst walking towards the beast, as I'd parked with the wheels offset, that both fronts are wearing badly on the outer edges.

Whipped it down to my local tyre shop for a basic tracking and mechanical check and they found nothing wrong - now I know they are not experts in miggy's .. but they should be able to check for wear in suspension/steering ... ?? shouldn't they ?    :(

My thoughts are running along the lines of booking into WIM for a front end mechanical check for wear and tear, fix anything they find, then go back for a full geometry setup. Now this is the "cordon blue" solution... and probably the most expensive one .. but as I have no knowledge of how to check all the bits and bobs  it seems to be the only way of getting a decent diagnostic done.

Unless anyone knows better ?? and can recommend someone nearer to Swindon to do the diagnostic ?? I'll still have the final geometric done at WIM, and would hope to be able to do the work myself - with advice from here !!!!

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2009, 23:49:29 »

Power steering can cause wear similar to tracking being out.
Do you turn the car on full lock on a regular basis. I used to live in a location where I would drive into my road and hook it round in one motion to face out the way I had entered.
A few months of this and the outer edges were wearing as if the tracking was out. Tracking and tyre pressure was checked regularly.

If the front wishbone bushes are worn this will allow the wheels to turn out under braking as the weight of the car is biased to the front.
I was having a Full Geo done and when I took it out to check, it would be spot on until the brakes were applied, then it would be pants.
The car was put back on the guages and it would be out. Lifting the car with the wheels free and then dropping it down and re-checking...all was spot on again.
The bushes were within the correct tollerance when checked but they were still alowing the wheels to move out. New wishbones fitted and a full geo re-done...sorted.

A full geometric, properly done is well worth it  :y
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2009, 20:42:56 »

Looks like a couple of trips to WIM are coming up then .... :(

sonikhead

• walsall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2009, 20:50:50 »

just out of curiosity i was told my miggy needs all wheel tracking could this be true as both back tyres had inner edge wear???

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2009, 21:17:59 »

Hi Entwood, im thinking if both tires wear the same on the "outside" edge, then i would suspect the original set up. Any problem with brakes or suspension would be unlikely to cause equal and "opposite to normal" wear on both sides?  Wear on the inside edge i would suspect wear and tear or to aggressive camber angle. In my experience anyway....  Do you know what the front camber angle is set to currently?

I would be interested in other opinions on the  ideal camber angle. I guess when the tire is at the end of its life idealy the inside should have more wear than the outside. Mine look to be wearing evenly so far, i would maybe expect to see, and could probably afford, more wear on the inside edge to make use of more camber?

But see what others say...

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2009, 21:20:59 »

just out of curiosity i was told my miggy needs all wheel tracking could this be true as both back tyres had inner edge wear???

Could well be. Or you carry alot of weight habitually?
Edit. In the boot i ment. Sorry. :-)
« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 21:23:10 by chrisgixer »

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2009, 22:20:17 »

I am not convinced by all this geo stuff. I have taken to swapping the tyres round after a year or so and yes there was a bit of outer wear but as was said in an earlier post on this thread this may be to do with power steering.

Just got about 25000 out of the Michelin Pilots. decided to downgrade a bit to Dunlop SP3000A - seems fine.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2009, 22:23:13 »

My concern is that 2 months ago the wear was even, now it is markedly not so, something has changed ..   :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2009, 22:23:45 »

He does ...... A sodding great tank of gas!  :y :y :y

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2009, 23:09:45 »

as a rough check stick a spirit level on the front tyres,they should show a slightly negative camber.i set mine once at 0 degrees and found that the cornering was crap and the outer edges of the tyres started to feather.

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2009, 23:10:28 »

Yes, need to add the geometry set up bill to the total price of an lpg install imho. Will be doing mine again, it has had 60litre donut tank added plus mv6 front suspension and have just fitted a new vx omega rear bush. When the other bush and rear suspension is done off to wim it will go. Then new discs and that had better bloody be all it needs for a while. My back is killing me.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2009, 23:12:57 »

I think Martin Imber fitted spring assisters to his car (non-self levelling suspenion) to help keep the car level with weight of the gas tank.

« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 23:13:38 by VXL_V6 »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2009, 23:13:14 »

Yes, need to add the geometry set up bill to the total price of an lpg install imho. Will be doing mine again, it has had 60litre donut tank added plus mv6 front suspension and have just fitted a new vx omega rear bush. When the other bush and rear suspension is done off to wim it will go. Then new discs and that had better bloody be all it needs for a while. My back is killing me.

Might be some confusion here (Thanks Andy  :)  )

I have wear on the FRONT tyres and an LPG tank at the back ...

Sonikhead has wear on the BACK tyres ... and I have no idea if he has a LPG or not ......

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2009, 23:15:37 »

Might be some confusion here (Thanks Andy  :)  )

I have wear on the FRONT tyres and an LPG tank at the back ...

Sonikhead has wear on the BACK tyres ... and I have no idea if he has a LPG or not ......

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So you do. I was confuddled with Chris's reply.  ::)  :y  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2009, 23:15:57 »

My concern is that 2 months ago the wear was even, now it is markedly not so, something has changed ..   :(
Did you see thie tires yourself 2 months ago or are we relying on the Mot tester to spot it AND pass on the info as an advisory? I cant think of anything other than set up that would cause this? Anyone...?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.