Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh no, what have I done .... ?  (Read 28368 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no, what have I done .... ?
« Reply #45 on: 08 October 2012, 12:53:53 »

They will run on three cylinders but, they run bloody awful with clattering etc.

Worth checking fault codes once back together

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 08 October 2012, 15:14:34 »

I've never done the pedal trick before, and it never crossed my mind. I should have done it before dismantling, but all I could think of was this stupid washer!
In hindsight I'm doubting a washer could have made such a racket? I thought perhaps if it had got trapped between cam sprockets, but even so.
While its stripped down this far I should really do the belt, but at the same time I need to try and get it back together and sorted. Also the only kit I can get my hands on today is a motoquip one?
Thinking now ill have to go back to the start, and take the cam covers off again just to ensure there is nothing lying in there? I'm sure there isn't, but I might have to check.
Perhaps though, as masters says, I should reassemble and do the pedal trick in case I'm completely off the mark.
Still can't help thinking about that washer though ..........

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 08 October 2012, 16:52:56 »

Don't need to reassemble to do pedal trick. Its done with engine off. :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 08 October 2012, 21:14:45 »

Problem is, if it's in bits with loads of stuff unplugged, you'll get codes appear that are totally unrelated.

hopefully nothing has been dropped down into the camshaft areas?

Turn the water pump by hand and feel how it is. If the washer is making a noise with engine rotation, (or water pump rotation) then chances are it will be caught up in the impellor, and hence easy to get out...

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 08 October 2012, 22:19:53 »

Problem is, if it's in bits with loads of stuff unplugged, you'll get codes appear that are totally unrelated.

Turn the water pump by hand and feel how it is. If the washer is making a noise with engine rotation, (or water pump rotation) then chances are it will be caught up in the impellor, and hence easy to get out...

True, but wouldn't it be OK to just reconnect any electrics, and then do the pedal trick?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 08 October 2012, 22:43:00 »

True, but wouldn't it be OK to just reconnect any electrics, and then do the pedal trick?

Absolutely fine, as long as the fuel lines are connected to the manifold too... :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 08 October 2012, 23:37:04 »

Thanks guys. I've got another couple of hours in the morning before work, so trying to organise a plan of attack. My ignorance is blinding me though, to things some of you may see as obvious  :-[
For example -  I'll try the water pump but I still can't see how anything would get into the coolant system from outside?
The car is stripped to the point where the cambelt is exposed. If I replace the plenum can I start it in this state? Just thinking about Kevin's suggestion to rule out the ancillaries.

Afaik the car was running beautifully before I got my chubby hands on my spanners  :D  :'(

albitz

« Reply #52 on: 08 October 2012, 23:42:37 »

Nothing can get in the cooling system unless you dropped it into the stat. Worth spinning the pump/alternator/tensioner/AC pump etc. by hand and feel/listen for any roughness.
Trying to think why you couldnt start the engine if you put the plenum back on,and no good reason springs to mind,although make sure you have any wires/pipes etc. held well away from the belt and pulleys.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 08 October 2012, 23:43:37 »

Thanks guys. I've got another couple of hours in the morning before work, so trying to organise a plan of attack. My ignorance is blinding me though, to things some of you may see as obvious  :-[
For example -  I'll try the water pump but I still can't see how anything would get into the coolant system from outside?
The car is stripped to the point where the cambelt is exposed. If I replace the plenum can I start it in this state? Just thinking about Kevin's suggestion to rule out the ancillaries.

Afaik the car was running beautifully before I got my chubby hands on my spanners  :D  :'(

Yes, but you'll get some codes raised regarding the MAF, Intake valve and air temperature sensor.

Check the cam belt tension first now you're there, though. Lock it in the TDC position first. If the tensioner is "bottoming out" because it's too loose or tight it will make a knocking noise.

It might also be worth turning it over by hand a few times with a wrench on the crank pulley first to see if there's any sign of tight spots or odd noises.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 08 October 2012, 23:45:54 »

If the stat was removed, and something dropped in the hole, I guess potentially that could end up in/around the Water pump?

Just turn the pipe by hand with the aux belt removed. It will take seconds, could even do that in the dark.

See if it turns freely...

You haven't touched the cambelt. I'd be amazed if it was a co-incidental cambelt problem, immediately after doing just the cam covers....

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 09 October 2012, 10:05:20 »

thanks guys. Chores all done, so going out now to try a few bits. Convinved there's nothing has got into the stat area, and wondering now if there may be something in around the camshafts? I'm not missing anything tool wise, or fittings, but you never know. I'll need to remove the cam pulley to check in around the lower end of the belt, but otherwise I can't see any damage or any play in the belt itself. If I want to rotate the crank manually, is it direction specific?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 09 October 2012, 10:08:14 »

I want to rotate the crank manually, is it direction specific?

Yes, if the cam belt is fitted you must only rotate it clockwise otherwise the belt will lose tension and slip.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 09 October 2012, 10:10:28 »

Thanks Kevin. That's clockwise looking at it from the front?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 09 October 2012, 10:19:04 »

Thanks Kevin. That's clockwise looking at it from the front?

yes :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 09 October 2012, 16:13:07 »

Couldn't find anything untoward in or around the cambelt, so have put everything back together with the plan to do the pedal trick when I get home.
That'll be interesting  :-X
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 18 queries.