Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: ecu problem [i think]  (Read 10842 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: ecu problem [i think]
« Reply #165 on: 30 August 2008, 09:55:08 »

well i`ll have a look tomorrow, i dont suppose these ecu`s come up 2nd hand at any time do they?, its lack of job at the mo so have to count the pennies a bit, plus my car aint pretty due to the last owner, would you believe he cut a square of carpet out behind the drivers seat cos he spilt something & set off the pre-tensioner while he was at it! :o so you can imagine the state of the interior, anyhow thanks for the info & lets hope my luck is changing for the better!
If yours has RF type remote locking, you can't just replace the ECU, as its tied to immobiliser.

Unlikely you'll get a chipped ecu anyway, but if you did (and its right type), swap chip over.
Grumpy old man

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 30 August 2008, 10:37:23 »

thanks PHIL, i had to go with the suggestions first as i figured that experience is better than a hunch, oh well its chip time now i feel, according to the info ive been given my ecu is a 215 [ive looked & it is], so whats needed now is where to get one unless somebody has got one laying around ;), & does this qualify for the longest post?, if so do i get a certificate ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 30 August 2008, 11:08:30 »

thanks PHIL, i had to go with the suggestions first as i figured that experience is better than a hunch, oh well its chip time now i feel, according to the info ive been given my ecu is a 215 [ive looked & it is], so whats needed now is where to get one unless somebody has got one laying around ;), & does this qualify for the longest post?, if so do i get a certificate ;D
Best start a new post about chip.

The guy I know does them for £70 delivered, pretty certain he does 215 chips, as I believe thats what Omegatoy runs...
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 30 August 2008, 20:37:39 »

The guy I know does them for £70 delivered, pretty certain he does 215 chips, as I believe thats what Omegatoy runs...

yup and you can just change the ECU when you feel like it !!! ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 30 August 2008, 20:49:15 »

65 quid profit on every one then.....is this the daft bugger who ships them out in old jewelery boxes rather than proper antistatic ones.

Was not impressed with the packaging of the one I fitted on Friday!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 31 August 2008, 00:11:15 »

65 quid profit on every one then.....is this the daft bugger who ships them out in old jewelery boxes rather than proper antistatic ones.

Was not impressed with the packaging of the one I fitted on Friday!
Mine was supplied in a cut down one of those clear plastic tubes that bulk chips are often shipped in  :-/

Never questioned the business model, as I guess the programmers and the maps must have cost money at some point  :-/
Grumpy old man

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 31 August 2008, 10:40:39 »

so how many outlets are there for these chips?, ive seen the ones on ebay but coming from germany im a bit wary, i agree with M,DTM the mark up is a bit fierce but i suppose when you have the monopoly on them its an invitation to print money,anyhow am i allowed to ask on here how to contact the chip bods? really want to get it done, i take it they are socketed & not soldered, anyhow i`ll probably get told off now cos i should have started a new post on this,,,,sorry :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 31 August 2008, 12:32:08 »

so how many outlets are there for these chips?, ive seen the ones on ebay but coming from germany im a bit wary, i agree with M,DTM the mark up is a bit fierce but i suppose when you have the monopoly on them its an invitation to print money,anyhow am i allowed to ask on here how to contact the chip bods? really want to get it done, i take it they are socketed & not soldered, anyhow i`ll probably get told off now cos i should have started a new post on this,,,,sorry :'(
I think there are a few places to get chips from.  I only know of this guy because he is where I got mine from, and Omegatoy got his from.

I don't want to post his contact details publically, so what I have done for everyone else is forwarded their contact details to the guy, and he calls you direct.
Grumpy old man

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 31 August 2008, 14:53:04 »

Just had mine done, and what a difference it's made. It's just got to be done in my opinion, and you'll be ok with your stronger auto box.
See this post which will explain in more detail what needs to be done and how http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1208771640/0......£70 well spent.

Mick

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 31 August 2008, 19:22:39 »

what you have to remember guys, is he paid thousands for the chip database he has ,so its not only oour cars he does, but more to the point if you go to dervdoctor or diesel tuning they will charge over 300 so i dont think the price is bad at all, especially as the savimgs in the fuel consumption more than repay the cost of the chip wthin 3 months depending on your mileage,he does it cheap for OOf as a favour to me normal price is around the ton,
so if you think the price is to high dont bother buying try going somewhere else!!!

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 31 August 2008, 20:36:50 »

fair comment OT, i for one didnt realise how they got this info as perhaps others dont, i think its more comparing the price of the initial IC [which is pennies] to the finished product which we have the benefit of, im sure nobody in OOF would intentionaly go out of their way to deliberately upset someone or indeed slag them off, ive since looked around other places on the net & can now see what a deal this chap is doing, so i say good on him :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 31 August 2008, 21:38:21 »

Locking, as this issue has been resolved. Please start a new thread for new issues :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.