Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: no idea hopefully someone can help?  (Read 14240 times)

griff2494

• fallingbostal,germany
    • View Profile
Re: no idea hopefully someone can help?
« Reply #60 on: 01 January 2011, 21:22:26 »

thanks for the replis ,i will check /move plug 3 around tommorrow to see if it moves cylinders

is there anyway to check the cam sensor??????
also what kind of £ are the cam sensors?ive read somewhere need to get a gen vauxhall one

as for the gearboxd sensor ,is that fixable? ie clean etc? any idea what it looks like?

cheers for everyones help

ps thanks for the code link page,seems much better than the one i had been looking at
« Last Edit: 01 January 2011, 21:24:41 by griff2494 »

griff2494

• fallingbostal,germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 02 January 2011, 20:54:18 »

right been out again today to have a play

i swopped plugs around trying to see if the fault would change from pot 3 ,but no even with plugs swopped then the rubbers on the coilpack swopped round (as 2 of the 4 seem alot softer than the other 2)no joy still the same fault :-(

i must say the new plugs are all sooted up 2

which i assume means running very rich???

anyway whilse out there i decided to try and fine out where all the coolants going,ive already done the new thermostat housing and thermosate so next was the HBV

what a thingy to change that was!!! the clips where all in the wrong direction! i dont think its ever been changed as the pipes where almost seized on to it!! and even worst,once off there was no sign of leaked :-( also once refitted i still have only cold air from the heater :-(!!!!

also while doing the HBV ithought i better  flushed the heater maxtrix out as per the "how do thread", very easy with the hose pipe trick :-)

To do the HBV i thought it would be easier to take the wipers and scuttle off for ease of acsess ,and it made it much easer :-)

while it was off i cleaned all the drains out (full or shit!)and also cleaned/hoovered the pollen fillet out!

then i thought sod it while i was there i took the EGR thing off,gave it a good clean with carb cleaner,lots of shit ran out of it !!!!

all back together so gave her a start!!! saw some smoke come from side of enige?????

spanners back out !!! on the heat sheild,took it off and found this

the manifold is cracked!!!!!!!!! (not happy)
turned the heat shield over to confirm it is cracked,

YEP IT DEF MUST BE!!!! sounds daft but its round about where pot 3 is could that course the misfire???????

then after running/driving her for about 30mins the coolant warning came on again!!! thats approx 1 ltre in 30mins with no sign of leakage apart from the steam from the exhaust!! i still think it must be the water jacket on the hg giving me this problem,what everyone think????

would i be best and just change the hg just to make sure and have piece of mind that its not that?? ive seen hg kits on fleabay for around £40 then its just a few hrs of my time,dont think i would need to get head skimmed as its never got that hot! would have to wait and see on that score
« Last Edit: 02 January 2011, 20:55:59 by griff2494 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 02 January 2011, 21:02:18 »

do you know if the head gasket was ever changed? Looking at that exhaust manifold the gasket does not look multi-layer  :-/

Wonder if that has an effect on cracking the manifold?

griff2494

• fallingbostal,germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 07 January 2011, 20:11:08 »

right enought is enought!!!!!

earlier this week i ordered a new cam locking tool,hg kit & new bolts
i still think its the hg but im feed up of not knowing!!!!!! so soon i will no one way or the other !!! im replacing it asap

i was off today so seeing i had nothing to do i decided i would start taking her apart(still waiting for the postman so could not take the head off as nothing to lock the cams)

right here goes,easy bits first

inlet (had majour probs getting the fuel rail off :-( )

pot 3 seems to have oil in there?

next the exuast manifold (parted it completely from exhaust as need to sort the crack out)

cam belt cover off

and thats all i can do till the cam tool arrives :-(HOPEFULLY TOMMORROW

griff2494

• fallingbostal,germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 07 January 2011, 20:21:37 »

i took the TB in the house for cleaning as it was totaly covered in crap :-( (water and oil it looked like,and years of normal crap)

30 mins later and plenty of carb cleaner,cotton buds and clothes :-)

:-) like new again :-)

i read on the thread about making sure the tiny hole (ting in tb housing and large on the outside)in the tb is clean,got a thin bit of wire and got loads and loads of crap out of it,it was totaly bloked!!

but now clean and flowing again :-)
(what does that small pin prick hole do?)

griff2494

• fallingbostal,germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 08 January 2011, 18:44:06 »

well cam tool nore gasket set arrived today :-(
but nether mind i may as well start

well all head bolts out and about to lift the head off (i think the head must have been done some time in the past as the head bolts all had copper slip on them!)

here goes,a quick pull and tap with a soft mallet and

as you can see looks to me as its been leaking,gasket off

closer inspection

pot 3 def seems wet

to cold in garage so took it in the house to play with :-)

as you can see above all valves out :-) ready for new oil stem seals being fitted,will also clean the valves before i grind them back in

all numbered and ready to go back in,norm put the head in the dish washer brings them up a treat and gets all the mayo out,but wife says no this time :-( so its soaking in the bath in stead lol

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 08 January 2011, 19:01:03 »

well knackered pots 2 and 3.

plans to pressure test and skim on that head?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 08 January 2011, 19:05:39 »

..... norm put the head in the dish washer brings them up a treat and gets all the mayo out,but wife says no this time :-( so its soaking in the bath in stead lol

;D ;D ;D ;D

As said to Debs, it's always nice to find specific fault when your looking to fix a problem.

Mind all those bits don't all get knocked off.  :-? ;) ;)

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 08 January 2011, 20:25:37 »

Your wife must really love you Griff! ;D mine would have put my head in the dishwasher followed by the rest of me in little bits mate!! :o :D
From the look of your head gasket, it appears someone in the past has put a bottle of leak seal in the system & it has almost completely blocked the waterways between the affected cylinders causing localised overheating. Make sure you completely flush the cooling system very thoroughly when you get it all back together but with the waterpump removed (I am assuming you are going fit a new pump, belt & tensioners ?).
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 08 January 2011, 21:00:10 »

From the look of your head gasket, it appears someone in the past has put a bottle of leak seal in the system & it has almost completely blocked the waterways between the affected cylinders causing localised overheating.
I'm not so sure. The headgasket has different sized holes adacent to each of the waterways to even out the coolant flow. It doesn't look like blocked waterways to me.

The copper grease on the head bolts is a little odd, I wonder if new bolts were fitted and torqued and angle tightened correctly :-/
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

griff2494

• fallingbostal,germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 08 January 2011, 22:27:37 »

what kind of price is it to get the head pressure tested and skimmed? (just money is real short this mnth,seeing just had xmas)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 09 January 2011, 00:04:21 »

Griff I have only just picked up this thread, been away.

I am guessing you are stationned in Hohne or Fally?  If so go and see the bfg testing station mechanic (cant remember his name)  he wil point you in the right direction and will be able to give you costs.  I did the same engine about 4 years ago on a veccy and it cost about £30 to get it skimmed, not sure how much pressure testing is.

For parts you can go see the Opel place in Bergen but take the part numbers, their english is pretty poor but they try their best. 

Shame I am no longer over there I would have come and given you a hand  ;)

Good luck :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 09 January 2011, 00:21:59 »

.... their english is pretty poor but they try their best.   ....

But is your Deutsch any better than their English?  ;)  ;)

griff2494

• fallingbostal,germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 09 January 2011, 09:57:36 »

ya im up in fally for my sins lol
as for my german its pritty pritty poor :-( i need to get on a course seeing im in there country

will try the opel garage in bergen

griff2494

• fallingbostal,germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 09 January 2011, 12:21:44 »

WELL AFTER A NIGHT SOAKING IN THE BATH THE HEAD LOOKS MUCH BETTER :-)

ive also cleaned all the valves up ,just need to wait now till the hg kit arrives before i can grind the valves back in as need to fit the new oil seals first

BUT i am a bit concerned ref looking to get the head skimmed :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

am i right that the lip in the below pic is some kind of marker of how far you can slim the head?

im just a bit worried as when you look at the next pic you will see how close the valves are already!

i also assume seeing the valves are already so close that the head must have already have been skimmed some time in the past???????

how much more can be taken off before the head is no good?
also will it not rise the compression in the engine???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 18 queries.