Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG or not to LPG? Thats the question...  (Read 5588 times)

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
LPG or not to LPG? Thats the question...
« on: 22 November 2009, 21:18:46 »

I’ve been thinking on and off since I bought the Omega almost 2 years ago now. ::)

My biggest problem with LPG, is the required boot space. Ask everyone that knows me and they will know that the boot is always full of something! ;D

My options are:
1)      Stay as is, and continue to pay loads on fuel
2)      Sell my V6, and get my 2.5TD back on the road
3)      Sell both Migs, and put the money to a newer LPG’ed estate (gets boot space back)
4)      Convert mine to LPG and put up with little boot space

Now, as much as I don’t mind the TD, I don’t really want to sell my V6. So that’s Option 2 ruled out I guess! Likewise for Option 3 - Getting an LPG’ed estate.

So options are either 1 or 4!

I was wondering about these donut tanks that you can get. Would they fit where the spare wheel goes on a saloon? Other Idea – Can you get an LPG tank which will fit in the back corner of the boot, but still allow me to fold half the rear seats down and poke stuff through?

My current MPG on Petrol seems to be around 19ish – I guess that would drop slightly on lpg to maybe 17/18mpg?

Also, Insurance and LPG… If I fitted LPG, I would have to do it myself to keep the costs down. Would this effect the insurance? I’m with Direct Line if anyone else has an LPG’ed car with them??

And lastly (for now anyway), am I better buying a donor Omega to take the LPG kit off, or buying a kit new / second hand from here / ebay etc?
 :-/ :-/ :-/
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: LPG or not to LPG? Thats the question...
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2009, 22:10:55 »

I am with direct line, they had no issues when i bought an LPG project car.

I too don't want to really loose the boot, and like my 2.2. Its super smooth and comfy and been very reliable.

I thought to myself how many times i actually use the full capacity of the boot, its just maybe a few times a year. I can buy a roof box for those times for the snowboard.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2009, 22:15:03 »

you could go for a vertical donut tank, you keep the boot then, but i don't think i could put up with the 150 mile range. My bike does more than that!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2009, 22:23:38 »

Now considering this myself on my 2.2, but don't have the cash for the bits and need every inch of luggage space.

150 mile range would be pointless-try finding an LPG station every 150 miles without going off-route....

Hmmmm  :-/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2009, 22:25:55 »

Now considering this myself on my 2.2, but don't have the cash for the bits and need every inch of luggage space.

150 mile range would be pointless-try finding an LPG station every 150 miles without going off-route....

Decent normal 80L Cylinder tank gives 300 miles which is much better, but at a cost

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2009, 22:32:01 »

Decent normal 80L Cylinder tank gives 300 miles which is much better, but at a cost

......of boot space :-/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2009, 22:35:38 »

Indeed, but ask yourself this. -> How many times do you use the full capacity of the boot?

Brand new roof racks are £300-400 for big ones, second hand will be a lot cheaper, but they can pay for themselves within moths as well.

I have the use of 2 other Omegas, including an Estate, so i am lucky in that respect, i can just steal borrow one of the others  ;D

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2009, 22:41:39 »

Indeed, but ask yourself this. -> How many times do you use the full capacity of the boot?

Brand new roof racks are £300-400 for big ones, second hand will be a lot cheaper, but they can pay for themselves within moths as well.

I have the use of 2 other Omegas, including an Estate, so i am lucky in that respect, i can just steal borrow one of the others  ;D

5-up to Poland including years worth of presents to save postage, travel cot, pushchair/travel system, 4 suitcases, 100+litres of cider (hot property over there!), tools, spare parts etc etc.
No chance of taking roof box-would go walkies first time we parked up plus not keen on them anyway.

Unleaded it is then  :-/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2009, 22:43:13 »

5-up to Poland including years worth of presents to save postage, travel cot, pushchair/travel system, 4 suitcases, 100+litres of cider (hot property over there!), tools, spare parts etc etc.
No chance of taking roof box-would go walkies first time we parked up plus not keen on them anyway.

You could investigate under-slung solutions, used more on rangies. Drop the fuel tank and install a smaller one. Allows you to mount cylinder tanks underneath the car
« Last Edit: 22 November 2009, 22:52:10 by tunnie »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2009, 22:46:56 »

Your call Mr Trebus Ian ....  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)
You'd not get the PC/stereo in the limited boot space of a LPG converted saloon boot!  :y

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2009, 23:07:31 »

Your call Mr Trebus Ian ....  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)
You'd not get the PC/stereo in the limited boot space of a LPG converted saloon boot!  :y
Tut tut! Pick on someone your own age!  ;D ;D ;) ;)

To be honest, the PC + amp isn't that big really. And I guess I could dump the Sub thats now 'living' in there.
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2009, 23:11:05 »

they can all fight back!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Just give me a call if you need taps (& dies) of various sizes if you go the gas route. I've got a garage full of them.  :y  :y  :y

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2009, 23:12:53 »

Guess you’re right Tunnie to be honest regarding boot space.

I guess I tend to fill the boot 'Because I can' almost. (if that makes sence)

There’s probably the only odd piece of crap item that I would struggle to fit in the boot, and I guess I could use the trailer for that if I REALLY needed. ;)

And when going away on hols etc, I guess I would just have to put more stuff in the caravan instead of the boot.

Hmmm…. ::) ::) ::)
[size=12]

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2009, 23:16:34 »

they can all fight back!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Just give me a call if you need taps (& dies) of various sizes if you go the gas route. I've got a garage full of them.  :y  :y  :y

Ta mate, I've got a few but knowing my luck the size I would need would be the size that my set doesn't have!

Anyhow, I would just give you a call saying that I'm setting off, and will be round at yours in 2 hrs... You could give me a hand then  ;D ;) :y
[size=12]

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2009, 23:17:31 »

You could investigate under-slung solutions, used more on rangies. Drop the fuel tank and install a smaller one. Allows you to mount cylinder tanks underneath the car
I also wondered about that, but I dont think theres enough depth? Or is there? ::)
[size=12]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.