Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Safety  (Read 3105 times)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
Omega Safety
« on: 01 September 2011, 11:29:47 »

I have just read an article about a woman who got killed in a Reva G-Wiz.  It was awful.

It got me thinking.  Does anyone know safe an Omega is?  Has anyone ever had a crash in one? Has anyone got any data on this?

I would really appreciate any info on this. The drivers round here in West London are really mad! :o :o :o

feeutfo

Re: Omega Safety
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2011, 11:33:28 »

3 star ncap safety rating, unless it has side airbags which makes it a 4 star ncap car I believe....?

rob in gib

• Plymouth
    • Jaguar S type 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2011, 11:35:44 »

Just chilling in the sun. I wish back in the rain like everybody else

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2011, 11:43:02 »

yup as above, Mini-facelift and above which have side airbags are 4 star.

Some the things which get you the 5th star are stupid though, like a light to tell you to put your seat belt on  :-?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2011, 11:47:45 »

And in real terms, there have been some nasty accidents amongst the members and we're all still here :y

One sticks in my mind... Black saloon rolled 2/3 times and the passengers walked away with cuts and bruises :y Sure there used to be pictures in the gallery :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2011, 11:50:49 »

I did reverse into a brand new VW Passat about 3 years ago in mine, I got out. VW had smashed headlight, cracked/split bumper and a bent bonnet, damage? £2.5k's worth!

Damage to mine? Hairline crack in bumper  :y

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2011, 11:57:11 »

saw engine rider other week!!! omega 2.2. think it was a 2000 saloon. dont know how fast he or she was going but not to bad, lived even after taking on a lorry.nothing left looking like omega at front but back was fine.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

belldarr

« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2011, 12:01:44 »

I crashed my first Omega - 1999 mini-facelift Elite - into the side of a Nissan Qashqai at around 50mph and was really impressed with the integrity of the cabin, no deformation of the A posts and with a bit of an extra shove the driver door opened after the crash - but none of the airbags deployed which I was slightly annoyed about but the front of the car was wrecked, wheel and strut ripped from the chasis and engine smashed, some after accident damage from sign posts as well as the car continued travelling after the initial impact and came to rest in a hedge.  All in all a very strong and robust car.

Darren

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2011, 12:15:10 »

And in real terms, there have been some nasty accidents amongst the members and we're all still here :y

One sticks in my mind... Black saloon rolled 2/3 times and the passengers walked away with cuts and bruises :y Sure there used to be pictures in the gallery :-/

I was just going to quote that example myself.Car was destroyed (fairly high speed accident iirc) no real injuries to driver.
I would rather hit something in a big old solid tank like an Omega than the latest little eurohatch was has been given a 5 star rating. ;)

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2011, 12:17:47 »

Back when Omega was new and tested by EuroNCAP there was no such thing as 5-star-car; fifth star was added to have more scale to pedestrian safety etc...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2011, 12:21:00 »

I would rather hit something in a big old solid tank like an Omega than the latest little eurohatch was has been given a 5 star rating. ;)

Yep. NCAP ratings are deceptive. Bigger is always better. I'd sooner be in a 1.7 tonne barge with a rating of 4 than a sit-up-and-beg FWD toilet cubicle on wheels with a 5 star rating. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2011, 12:26:34 »

Thanks that's very reassuring.  I got a bit worried after looking as accidents on this website.  :o

http://www.charonboat.com/category/1

And then reading that article about the G-Wiz accident.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2011, 12:28:13 »

When I crashed my previous Omega last winter I hit an Toyota Carina which drove in front of me (he'd had to yield but didn't, so his fault) driving some 50 km/h the whole front end was crushed but no damage to A-pillars and rear of that. Insurance decided not to repair it, they sold the wreck and I know it has been salvaged. The front of the frame had moved 5 cm to left and all of the bodywork from doors to front had to be replaced... But you should have seen the Toyota; my bumper was nearly on its drivers seat  :o

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2011, 12:28:55 »

The G-Wiz is a plastic bucket - it has all the crash protection of a Reliant Robin.. I don't think you need to worry about any modern (90's or on) car imploding in quite such a fashion, unless you get run over by an Artic.. In which case not a lot will save you anyway.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2011, 12:31:26 »

Look at the state of it:

feeutfo

« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2011, 12:32:27 »

Yep. NCAP ratings are deceptive. Bigger is always better. I'd sooner be in a 1.7 tonne barge with a rating of 4 than a sit-up-and-beg FWD toilet cubicle on wheels with a 5 star rating. ;D
;D

Isn't there something about being able to get the doors open after an accident. Going by the shape of the door shuts on omega I guess it qualifies, but wondered where is that on the ncap scale? Low down I guess?

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2011, 12:44:51 »

Also, sadly there have been several non fault incidents in my omegas. All minor. Mostly BMW's driving into what ever they like. Pre face lift was unmarked after a 7 series decided he owned my lane as well. Big hole torn in BMW bumper, and to this day I never found a single mark on mine.

I don't think that a plus for the omega. More that BMW bumpers are made of paper mashe.

Another side swipe left rubber all up the drivers door. Tarnished the rubbing strip. New bumper on the 5 series.

Rear ended by a micra. New exhaust needed, it was rusted through anyway, and a bumper re spray.

Tough as old boots generally it seems to me. Although the doors ding too easily IMO, but then again all cars seem the same.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2011, 14:02:51 »

Rear ended by a micra. New exhaust needed, it was rusted through anyway, and a bumper re spray.

Been there. My towbar made a heat hole in the front bumper, went in, through the radiator, and pulled out all the micra's power steering pipework through the same hole.

The back end of the Micra had a Range Rover to contend with, so that didn't do so well either.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2011, 15:24:23 »

I did reverse into a brand new VW Passat about 3 years ago in mine, I got out.VW had smashed headlight, cracked/split bumper and a bent bonnet, damage? £2.5k's worth!

Damage to mine? Hairline crack in bumper 
:y

I have a feeling that the front of cars have to be 'crumple' zones, but maybe not the rears? Anyone know different?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2011, 19:17:24 »

Look at the state of it:

Nothing a bit of glass matting and Isopon can't fix  ;) ;D ;D ;D
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2011, 19:38:49 »

Kate , you need to worry about your blood vessels conditions than your cars strength... statistically ,in many accidents which ends up with death , the passenger died because of a cracked vessel because of large g force applied (especially to brain and heart) during the crash..

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2011, 20:36:56 »

Kate , you need to worry about your blood vessels conditions than your cars strength... statistically ,in many accidents which ends up with death , the passenger died because of a cracked vessel because of large g force applied (especially to brain and heart) during the crash..

I think my blood vessels are ok as I had detailed blood tests recently.

It was this sort of thing I want to avoid.  There are loads of dangerous drivers around here.

« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 20:38:44 by katemarlow »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2011, 20:43:41 »

It was this sort of thing I want to avoid.  There are loads of dangerous drivers around here.

if you want real safety you need to drive an armoured  battle tank ;D

sorry but the lorries and big trucks are extremely dangerous .. and even big cars are not safe enough.. :(

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2011, 20:45:26 »

Blood tests won't help with what Cem is discussing ;)

What he means is - if you decelerate a [human] body from speed at a fast enough rate, the sudden stop can cause blood vessels (arteries, veins etc) to rupture or be completely separated from the heart causing more or less instant death.

That's why we have crumple zones - the more of the car that deforms/comes flying off around the passenger cell in an accident, the better - each bit of bent/crumpled/missing metal is a piece that absorbed some of the energy of the impact and allowed the vehicle to slow down more gently, saving the occupants life..

A little like the old adage - it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2011, 20:50:34 »

thanks Aaronjb.. thats what I meant :y

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2011, 20:52:56 »

I can't remember, for the life of me, what the medical term is for the aorta becoming detached.. aortic dissection? Anyway.. gruesome subject - enough of that, I reckon or Kate will never drive again!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2011, 21:09:17 »

I can't remember, for the life of me, what the medical term is for the aorta becoming detached.. aortic dissection? Anyway.. gruesome subject - enough of that, I reckon or Kate will never drive again!

;D ;D :y

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 September 2011, 21:34:01 »

Blood tests won't help with what Cem is discussing ;)

What he means is - if you decelerate a [human] body from speed at a fast enough rate, the sudden stop can cause blood vessels (arteries, veins etc) to rupture or be completely separated from the heart causing more or less instant death.

That's why we have crumple zones - the more of the car that deforms/comes flying off around the passenger cell in an accident, the better - each bit of bent/crumpled/missing metal is a piece that absorbed some of the energy of the impact and allowed the vehicle to slow down more gently, saving the occupants life..

A little like the old adage - it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

:o :o :o :o

Oh I see what you mean.  It's that horrible website that gets you worried. All those accident pictures and stuff. Yuk. Has anyone else looked at it? (charonboat.com)

I know it's real life but it shocked me quite a bit.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 21:34:47 by katemarlow »

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 September 2011, 22:20:19 »

Haven't looked at the website but seen enough real ones over the years.

As others have said, aint no substitute for tonnage! (well, sort of...)

Omega is a large old tank and, if pitted against some of the more modern creations of automobile, I think it will still fare quite well, age and tinworm also included - within reason!   :y

Crumple zones, passenger safety cell and airbags/side airbags.  Its quite a fair spec, even for its age.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 September 2011, 22:36:21 »

The idiots on R2 today were having a field day ... they were comparing the G-Wiz to "other cars" ... bit like comparing apples with pineapples....  both are fruit I suppose.. :(

The G-wiz is NOT a car .. its fancy name is a quadricycle .. and as such it is HIGHLY restricted in weight and power and does not have ant need to reach car safety standards.

Would you expect a pushbike or a motorbike to have the same safety systems as a car ??? Course not .. and if a push bike gets hit by a car the bike loses .... badly .. as did the G-wiz

Pushbikes, motorbikes, invalid cars, 3-wheelers all lose when hit by a car .. add G-wiz to that list but for gods sake stop trying to make out the g-wiz is inherently dangerous ..

Its ugly, horrible, useless and supposed to be "green" - but isn't .... but it is NOT "dangerous" any more than a pushbike is.

« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 22:36:44 by entwood »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 September 2011, 22:41:05 »

Heart fubar is close enough :D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

albitz

« Reply #31 on: 01 September 2011, 22:43:04 »

And the poor woman wasnt wearing a seatbelt. She was also speaking to her husband on her phone just before she crashed. Apparently he told her to get off the phone and concentrate on driving. :(
The rupturing of the arteries to the heart was what killed Princess Diana - who also wasnt wearing a seatbelt.The only person in the car that night who was wearing a belt was the only survivor of the crash. ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 03 September 2011, 07:20:58 »

Relatively speaking, built like brick shytehouses. Mine has survived an Insignia being wrapped around the back end-Tailgate,wing and bumper, a deer at speed-bonnet and headlight, a Ford Kuga parking on the front bumper - another bonnet and bumper, and a lorry- new slam panel and bonnet etc. ::)

Martin_1962

« Reply #33 on: 03 September 2011, 15:48:39 »

Ermm

1 x 2.0 GLS hit on both sides, I was fine, Omega written off both other cars written off.

1 x MV6, rolled due to oil on road, no injuries but nearly fell over on the oil patch, car written off.

1 x CD 2.6 low speed into gate - sun dazzle - bumper bonnet & wing to fix, rest of car perfet

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 September 2011, 16:35:07 »

No car does very well in a heavy, fast impact. Doesn't matter how big/heavy/strong/well designed it is.
And the bit that comes off worst is the squidgy thing behind the steering wheel.

Debs.

« Reply #35 on: 03 September 2011, 17:02:58 »

Not at all sure about the purported 'safety' of being in any vehicle impacting anything else whilst traveling at speed.......

......I`ve lost two dear-friends to multiple blunt-force trauma; one in a homebuilt plane, the other in a car. :'(

This is the reason I always depart early on any journey and don`t drive fast......life REALLY is too short!  :-*

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 September 2011, 20:55:05 »

Look at the state of it:

was hit by a skoda ,wonder if its anyone we know.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 September 2011, 14:48:24 »

The most dangerous thing we all do is travelling around. :o

It used to be about 1 in 200 people killed in the UK during their lifetime doing this, with safety improvements it is now about 1 in 400.  ::)

In other countries it is far worse. In Ukraine it is about 1 in 100 and they have a fraction of the number of vehicles we have and therefore total annual mileage is much less.  :D This is one of the reasons there are on 85 men to 100 women in Ukraine.  ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #38 on: 06 September 2011, 15:13:29 »

nowadays here the population is increasing enormously.. so imo car producers must weaken the cars chasis a bit, in order to control ......   ;D ;D

and increase the speed limits twice.. >:(
« Last Edit: 06 September 2011, 15:15:00 by cem_devecioglu »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 September 2011, 16:50:59 »

Just as effective is the 'Indian' driving system. Where they believe that if today is your destined day to die then you will regardless, if not then no harm will come if overtake towards oncoming vehicles, on blind bends and over the crest of hill etc....  ::)

The outcome, the highest death rate on roads in the world  :o :D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 September 2011, 10:03:01 »

The standard of driving around here in West London is really really bad.  My mig has only been getting about 20mpg, driven carefully, but I still wouldn't change it for a small car.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.