Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG conversion questions  (Read 2539 times)

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
LPG conversion questions
« on: 23 July 2008, 20:37:28 »

1. Where to buy a DIY lpg conversion kit (complete inc Tank)
2. How much for the complete kit?
3. Any recommendations as to what kit?

My mig has done 118000 miles and have considered having the conversion done. Finances are not the best in the world for me so the flexiable friend will come in and pay for the kit. I don't know if its worth doing as the mileage is so high, I might be wrong, but I am sure I will be told otherwise. IF I do decide to have the conversion done I would like to have some help as I wouldn't know where to start. Drilling and the like in things like this do not make a perfect hole I'm afraid so this will be a must. Any suggestions and advice on this matter would be gratefuly appreciated.

Paul  :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
Re: LPG conversion questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2008, 21:09:31 »

Stag is the name of the system that seems to be the one to get and i asked the question of how much and under £500 for a V6 system but that is for the front end only and NOT the tank. The price seems to be about £200 for a 90 litre tank and that will go in the back of the boot.
I have had a good look on the forum at members doing there own and have also had a very good look at an omega that has had a gas system fitted and i will be going down the DIY road. Hope this helps you but you will have to find out from the other forum members where you get the Stag system as i have not got that far yet :y
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2008, 21:29:44 »

Get the stag kit from Jeremy at u-fit-lpg. His ebay user is u-fit (I think) but there are links to Jeremy's details on here somewhere (I'll have a look in a moment!)

You will pay under £700 for the full kit if you go for the more expensive 4-hole tank (80Litres) which isn't essential on the 3.0. I have, but only because I do a lot of miles (25-30k) and a lot of towing! When I collected my front end kit I was talking about multi-vales, as opposed to 4 separate valves, and there are apparently some new ones becoming available soon which can allegedly cope with up to approx 275bhb, so are a viable option for all Miggys!

As for the fitting... As you are only in Reading, Kevin Wood may be able to advise and possibly even lend a bit of a hand (obviously I can't say this for sure because I don't know what his time and commitments are like!!) I can almost certainly lend you a spare inlet manifold so you can install the injector nozzles in advance (on an exchange basis!)

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, as long as the car has been well maintained you should get at least the same again from it!! Mine's just gone past 121k and runs like new!! Also, LPG being a cleaner fuel means that the engine internals will last longer!  :y :y :y

I think there's going to be a full "how to" made up very soon, with input from all of the people who have done the DIY route. I know I'm planning to try and document some of the process when I fit mine in the next 3-4 weeks!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

HolyCount

« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2008, 21:33:29 »

iirc Jeremy can be found here

http://www.lpg.myzen.co.uk/ufit/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2008, 21:33:57 »

iirc Jeremy can be found here

http://www.lpg.myzen.co.uk/ufit/

Thanks... Beat me to it!!!  ::) ::) ::) ::)

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2008, 21:49:19 »

Get the stag kit from Jeremy at u-fit-lpg. His ebay user is u-fit (I think) but there are links to Jeremy's details on here somewhere (I'll have a look in a moment!)

You will pay under £700 for the full kit if you go for the more expensive 4-hole tank (80Litres) which isn't essential on the 3.0. I have, but only because I do a lot of miles (25-30k) and a lot of towing! When I collected my front end kit I was talking about multi-vales, as opposed to 4 separate valves, and there are apparently some new ones becoming available soon which can allegedly cope with up to approx 275bhb, so are a viable option for all Miggys!

As for the fitting... As you are only in Reading, Kevin Wood may be able to advise and possibly even lend a bit of a hand (obviously I can't say this for sure because I don't know what his time and commitments are like!!) I can almost certainly lend you a spare inlet manifold so you can install the injector nozzles in advance (on an exchange basis!)

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, as long as the car has been well maintained you should get at least the same again from it!! Mine's just gone past 121k and runs like new!! Also, LPG being a cleaner fuel means that the engine internals will last longer!  :y :y :y

I think there's going to be a full "how to" made up very soon, with input from all of the people who have done the DIY route. I know I'm planning to try and document some of the process when I fit mine in the next 3-4 weeks![/quote]

That would be great as i think i will be going down the LPG road soon myself. I said i never would again after my dads single point on a 2.0 16V 98 omega which was fitted by a company in glastonbury and was c**p.
Also i have seen on here a member has fitted the LPG filler to the towbar and i think i will do the same as it looked very tidy.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2008, 21:49:40 by cjjm26 »
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2008, 21:49:56 »

It's not a "how-to" .. but it gives a damned good idea !!

Kevin Woods photo's :

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1216678718

As a matter of interest (perhaps) for you .. I had a profesional install of a BRC system .. £1850+VAT = £2200 ish... quite expensive I know but I had my reasons, however the results will be the same ....

Fuel costs prior to conversion - at £118.9 p/litre - about 26 p/mile
Fuel costs on LPG at 56 p/litre - about 15 p/mile

So I'm saving 11 p/mile .. about 40% !!

As an example .. last weekend trip to Huddersfield ... 195 miles £22 of gas ...  

LPG is well worth doing IMHO   :y :y :y :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2008, 22:00:02 »

Kevin Woods photo's

This was what I was referring to... It's the start of the how to!!  :y :y :y

trebor

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2008, 22:09:40 »

It's not a "how-to" .. but it gives a darned good idea !!

Kevin Woods photo's :

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1216678718

As a matter of interest (perhaps) for you .. I had a profesional install of a BRC system .. £1850+VAT = £2200 ish... quite expensive I know but I had my reasons, however the results will be the same ....

Fuel costs prior to conversion - at £118.9 p/litre - about 26 p/mile
Fuel costs on LPG at 56 p/litre - about 15 p/mile

So I'm saving 11 p/mile .. about 40% !!

As an example .. last weekend trip to Huddersfield ... 195 miles £22 of gas ...  

LPG is well worth doing IMHO   :y :y :y :y

about 22mpg on gas?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2008, 22:27:18 »

I get about 23 mpg gas on a decent run - if I control the right boot - about 19 mpg round town/short runs and about 14 mpg when towing.

Equivalent petrol was 26 mpg on a run, 23 mpg town/short runs, 18 mpg towing.

This is a 3.2 Elite and it likes being "driven"   :)

Accurate costings right now ...

Estimated costs on petrol 26.27 p/mile
Actual costs on gas 15.5 p/mile

I run a spread sheet and input the details and always check the actual cost of petrol when I fill with gas, I'm trying to be as accurate as I can .....   sad I know

trebor

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2008, 22:32:25 »

Better than mine, but running an older system - a cross between single point and sequential (tartarini ETAGAS)

Wondering whether to go fully sequential, by changing front end

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2008, 22:54:45 »

Early indications are mine is doing about 19-20 MPG on gas without any long runs yet so that seems to tally.

I believe Jay W is in the process of putting together a LPG conversion "Howto" document.

I must say, although I've only put 300 miles on it so far, I am very happy with the stag front end. It's impossible to tell if the engine's on petrol or gas, it's impossible to tell when it switches over to gas after a cold start and the numbers it's producing match Entwood's BRC system, which is regarded as being one of the best on the market.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

trebor

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2008, 22:59:57 »

How much is a Stag front end?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2008, 23:03:43 »

How much is a Stag front end?

Jeremy's kit is 495 inc vat for just the 6 cylinder front end IIRC.

I paid 700 including VAT and shipping for the front end, polyflex pipe and ifttings, 4 hole 80L tank, valves and filler.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

trebor

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2008, 23:13:48 »

Very temping at that price....

mark.adams

• Cambridgeshire
  • Happy
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2008, 08:42:58 »

Better than mine, but running an older system - a cross between single point and sequential (tartarini ETAGAS)

Wondering whether to go fully sequential, by changing front end

I have the BRC single point system and i worked out i'm getting around 19-20 mpg on LPG, wondering whether if i changed the front end to multi-point whether i would notice a difference.
Omega 2.6 V6 Elite in Shiny Black

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2008, 10:33:46 »

Thanks guys all your input has been taken on board and this is the way I will go due to the rising cost of petrol. I would like to go the cheapest option which by the looks of things is DIYing it. If and when I do get the kit then if someone is willing to help then they could have the car at there place to do the work as I don't use it during the day and its parked up at home anyway but that is something to work on in the future. Again thanks for all the replies.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2008, 10:54:45 »

Thanks guys all your input has been taken on board and this is the way I will go due to the rising cost of petrol. I would like to go the cheapest option which by the looks of things is DIYing it. If and when I do get the kit then if someone is willing to help then they could have the car at there place to do the work as I don't use it during the day and its parked up at home anyway but that is something to work on in the future. Again thanks for all the replies.

I reckon you might get offered assistance from people here but no-one will actually do all the work for you. It is quite major surgery, although not overly difficult, and because of this the opinion is that people are more than happy to help, but wont do the job for you! At the end of the day we're all just a bunch of nutters enthusiasts who like to try and help each other out!  :y :y :y :y :y

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2008, 18:48:51 »

Thats not a problem the more help the better to be able to get it sorted quickly (if you know what I mean). As I said earlier this wont happen for a while yet anyway.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.