Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Telematics to HU connection  (Read 3077 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Telematics to HU connection
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2008, 11:26:37 »

What sort of impedance? CPC / Farnell seem to list a few options.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2008, 11:51:36 »

Its not a coax, its a shielded twin, so would an impedence be specified?
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 02 November 2008, 12:02:05 »

I fear you may be going a little too deeply into the need of connecting two mis-matched units over a few inches of cable? Wouldn`t really worry about impedance of cable at this stage.

Yes, CPC / Farnell will supply 100m+ rolls, but do you really need that much?
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 November 2008, 12:05:44 »

I fear you may be going a little too deeply into the need of connecting two mis-matched units over a few inches of cable? Wouldn`t really worry about impedance of cable at this stage.

Yes, CPC / Farnell will supply 100m+ rolls, but do you really need that much?
Its currently running over Cat5 (all I had in house that had some level of interference protection, and the local Craplins had sod all better), but when connected directly to Stereo, definately a bit of cellular interference, as you would expect.

Telematics in boot, so at 5-6m I guess, 100m reel seems a bit excessive, though I guess I could then do the mic (also cat5'd)
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 November 2008, 12:20:11 »

Right, so no dielectric then. still a few available.... what about some FTP Cat5? I'm sure you have some of that!!!!

Sorry, scrap that, got interupted while replying! ;D
« Last Edit: 02 November 2008, 12:21:36 by VXL_V6 »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 November 2008, 19:50:39 »

Lol, coax/cable impedance is not a big issue at audio frequencies!

So, what exactly is the setup and issue?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 November 2008, 18:55:01 »

Lol, coax/cable impedance is not a big issue at audio frequencies!

So, what exactly is the setup and issue?

What I want to have is both Vauxhall Telematics and Nokia Bluetooth kit connected to back of stereo.

Currently, I have:
Telematics audio connected to the audio connection to Nokia CK-7W kit, leaving Nokia kit unplugged (having both connected like that is probably bad idea!).

Telematics is complaining of Audio Line Out, and the volume of phone calls is very low. I suspect this is because I have a low resistance across the audio looking towards HU from telematics. I am guessing this is because telephone prewired cars have an audio transformer/isolator fitted somewhere (U29)?

As a test, I have put wires from telematics straight onto back of HU, and volume fine, but get a lot of 'cellular type' interference on it, presumably due to using wrong cable type.

So, I guess I need to rerun audio from telematics in boot to HU in a decent screened cable?

In order to be able to use the Nokia bluetooth kit as well, I was going to but in a DPDT relay, activated by Nokia mute line, to switch the source, but unsure if it has the ability to sink the current to drive relay.  Despite the wiring diags, the telematics does not need mute line, must happen over CAN.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 November 2008, 21:05:33 »

Does the Nokia car kit drive the head unit input OK via transformer?

If so, I would build a little driver stage to beef up the output of the telematics unit.

And it should be straightforward to drive the relay from the Nokia mute line. A transistor to switch the relay just in case it's not man enough.

I'd say from the telematics to the transformer a single pair from a CAT5 cable would probably be adequate. It'll be a fairly high signal level and balanced due to the transformer. I do have a reel of overall shielded twin cable if you want a couple of metres?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 November 2008, 22:12:13 »

If so, I would build a little driver stage to beef up the output of the telematics unit.

And it should be straightforward to drive the relay from the Nokia mute line. A transistor to switch the relay just in case it's not man enough.

I'd say from the telematics to the transformer a single pair from a CAT5 cable would probably be adequate. It'll be a fairly high signal level and balanced due to the transformer. I do have a reel of overall shielded twin cable if you want a couple of metres?

Kevin
Nokia CK7W is perfect through audio tranny.

Would it not be better to switch it in beyond u29 then?
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 November 2008, 22:17:30 »

Kevin

You could try, but I wonder if the noise that was on the signal in that case was down to feeding an unbalanced input on the head unit. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 November 2008, 22:23:13 »

Kevin

You could try, but I wonder if the noise that was on the signal in that case was down to feeding an unbalanced input on the head unit. :-/

Kevin
Wiring diags show its supposed to be fed straight into HU, though obviously supposed to be in glovebox, and thus shorter cable run.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 November 2008, 22:27:30 »

Kevin

Kevin
Wiring diags show its supposed to be fed straight into HU, though obviously supposed to be in glovebox, and thus shorter cable run.

Ahh, OK. The same HU, just with a different location of the telematics unit? In that case, might well be worth a try. I was assuming the transformer went with the head unit.

Kevin

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 November 2008, 22:30:51 »

Kevin

Kevin

Ahh, OK. The same HU, just with a different location of the telematics unit? In that case, might well be worth a try. I was assuming the transformer went with the head unit.

Kevin
Check Wiring Diags, Omega 2003, Audio, Navigation system, and you can double check wiring
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 November 2008, 22:43:14 »

Check Wiring Diags, Omega 2003, Audio, Navigation system, and you can double check wiring

Pins 35 & 36 of the head unit? Agreed, it looks like a balanced pair with an overall screen. Got to be worth trying a direct connection if you can find the transformer. The nokia kit might well work without it too. :-/

Kevin

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 November 2008, 23:08:26 »

Pins 35 & 36 of the head unit? Agreed, it looks like a balanced pair with an overall screen. Got to be worth trying a direct connection if you can find the transformer. The nokia kit might well work without it too. :-/

Kevin

Was thinking about tapping into the cabling with my relay right at back of HU - so TM will be fed straight into HU, and Nokia still via U29
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.