Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vauxhall CID displays - Faulty ones wanted !!  (Read 3846 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Vauxhall CID displays - Faulty ones wanted !!
« on: 18 June 2010, 16:17:23 »

Dear all - I`m looking into investigating some of the faults on the CID displays, but need some "donor" units to play with - I`ve been messing with Porsche dash`s of late, and discovered some stunning similarities - which means that if correct, I may possibly be able to ressurect some of the CID`s in the future.

If anyone has any faulty / dead / demised screens that are cluttering up the garage, I would be most gratefull if they could be thrown my way. I`m not bothered about any faults they may have / pixellation etc / and even smashed / damaged screens etc would be very usefull - I`m actually looking at the circuit board faults, and its the circuit board internals that I am actually after - I`ll almost certainly destroy a few in my research which is why I`m looking for some to mess about with.

If anyone can assist, please let me know, and I will can arrange for a courier to collect them.

Thanks !

:)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

aaronjb

Re: Vauxhall CID displays - Faulty ones wanted !!
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2010, 16:51:24 »

I have one with the usual dead pixels that you're more than welcome to..

Just as soon as I can figure out how to get it out of the dash and try replacing it with the one I got off eBay..  ;D (I watched the instructional video, which says to lower the steering column.. to my discredit, I can't figure out how to do that!)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2010, 16:56:47 »

Just as soon as I can figure out how to get it out of the dash and try replacing it with the one I got off eBay..  ;D (I watched the instructional video, which says to lower the steering column.. to my discredit, I can't figure out how to do that!)

Thats very kind of you - I may even be able to return the favour !

If you want to send both screens over to me, I should be able to transfer the data from the old one to the new one for you - and this should save the need to have the new one Tech2`d into the car - should simply be plug and play if  I`m right !!

PM me when ready and I can arrange a courier.

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2010, 17:11:44 »

Also,

can anyone point me at a vehicle circuit diagram that would show the Omega connections / Pinout for the CID - helps me to make a full test rig for them as well then

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2010, 14:27:06 »

Also,

can anyone point me at a vehicle circuit diagram that would show the Omega connections / Pinout for the CID - helps me to make a full test rig for them as well then

;)

PM sent Dave.

Chris   :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2010, 17:07:35 »

Also,

;)

PM sent Dave.

Chris   :y

Cheers Chris - Very Usefull

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2010, 12:01:27 »

Sure its a CID? A CD from that era would be a MID (which would explain pixel issues). I believe Dave DND is only after CIDs.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2010, 15:18:27 »

Sure its a CID? A CD from that era would be a MID (which would explain pixel issues). I believe Dave DND is only after CIDs.

CID`s are certainly what I am after, but as I will inevitably be looking at other screens in the near future, I am certainly not going to turn away any donor units !!

Any MIDS / TIDS that also end up here as a result are all very very welcomed and appreciated

:)
www.dndservices.co.uk

Arrolman

• Intermediate Member
  • Renfrew,Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2010, 19:35:32 »

PM sent :y
Looking to win the lottery..........

wingman

• Intermediate Member
  • Hastings
    • Grandland GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2010, 21:46:13 »

Dave

Its great that someone experienced like you is prepared to have a look at faulty CIDs with a view to perhaps helping forum members to avoid the approx $1300  (sorry I mean pounds, but I'm in USA at the moment and can't find a pounds sign anywhere on this PC) that the dealers want for a new one. But from reading the experience of people on this forum and my own experience with a faulty CID, it is normally only the LCD screen that cause problems and in the past they could be sourced reasonably easily and replaced. However the screens on their own are now very difficult to find (unless you or anyone else knows different). That is not to say that it is great that you are offering to look at faulty items with a view to helping forum members. Its just that as above I think that circuit board or component faults are fairly rare on these CIDs (again unless anyone else knows differently)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2010, 08:56:31 »

Dave

Its great that someone experienced like you is prepared to have a look at faulty CIDs with a view to perhaps helping forum members to avoid the approx $1300  (sorry I mean pounds, but I'm in USA at the moment and can't find a pounds sign anywhere on this PC) that the dealers want for a new one. But from reading the experience of people on this forum and my own experience with a faulty CID, it is normally only the LCD screen that cause problems and in the past they could be sourced reasonably easily and replaced. However the screens on their own are now very difficult to find (unless you or anyone else knows different). That is not to say that it is great that you are offering to look at faulty items with a view to helping forum members. Its just that as above I think that circuit board or component faults are fairly rare on these CIDs (again unless anyone else knows differently)

Yes, I think I may know different !!

But before you all bombard me with questions regarding the supply of screens I have found for a different make, I need to check that these work first, as on the other make pcb they can cause PCB faults instead of screen faults - need to isolate the problem so that I can "beef up" any components as required.
www.dndservices.co.uk

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2010, 10:48:16 »

Adjustable steering column was on mini facelift and facelift only unless retro fitted by a previous owner.
Don't wee on the electric fence

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2010, 12:12:05 »

Whoops, you're right .. it's an early type MID  :-[

Adjustable steering column was on mini facelift and facelift only unless retro fitted by a previous owner.

Ah damn .. that means (according to the service manual, at least) removing the steering wheel then..

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2010, 12:53:43 »

Ah damn .. that means (according to the service manual, at least) removing the steering wheel then..

You can remove the steering column cover without taking the steering wheel off.Place your key in the ignition unlock position and tur your steering wheel 90 degrees and you will see a small round screw cover.prize off the cover and remove the screw.Turn the steering wheel back and keep going until you see the other screw cap and repeat removal.There are a few more screws underneath the steering column cover to remove and that will then seperate carefully top and bottom.I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2010, 12:55:00 by hannahjudesdad »
Don't wee on the electric fence

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2010, 18:55:07 »

You can remove the steering column cover without taking the steering wheel off.Place your key in the ignition unlock position and tur your steering wheel 90 degrees and you will see a small round screw cover.prize off the cover and remove the screw.Turn the steering wheel back and keep going until you see the other screw cap and repeat removal.There are a few more screws underneath the steering column cover to remove and that will then seperate carefully top and bottom.I hope that helps.
The problem I found with my last Omega (1994, 2.5 CD, fixed steering column) was that I could get the screws out and pull the instruments away from the connectors but I couldn't get the instruments out from behind the wheel.

Removing the wheel isn't that difficult but you do need to take precautions.
1. Disconnect the battery 5 minutes before removing the air bag to minimise the chance of it going off.
2. Use a puller to remove the wheel. Don't thump it as the shear pin in the collapsible steering column might break
3. When it does come off the spring behind it is strong enough to give you a nose bleed if you don't get out of the way :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.