Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the built in phone  (Read 3009 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Using the built in phone
« Reply #15 on: 05 June 2011, 11:11:58 »

I'm with T-mobile.
Rang them today asking about call diverting and they told me it will cost 12p p/m to divert a call to O2.
Not sure whether it's worth it or if anyone knows of a better way?

One of the methods I am just starting to use...

Both my iPhone and (now, at last) my Telematics are on Giffgaff (part of Telefonica, thus uses O2 network).

Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls are free, as long as you have topped up in the last 3 months.

The iPhone is topped up monthly (ie, I pay my £10 for 250m, unlimited text, unlimited data), so will always have free Giffgaff-Giffgaff calls, so I've just started diverting that to Telematics.

(The £15 I have on the Telematics PAYG sim will last me at least a year (calls=8p/min))

I guess I will find out soon if forwarded calls are uncluded in the free minutes ;D

Why not check out for yourself, and if you use my link below, you get a £5 the first time you top up :y

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/theboy

I found an interesting way to divert, you can just create a contact and put the #63 i think? at the front of the number. Just "call" it to divert :)

Just save contact as divert on and off, and stick them as a favourite  :)
The shortcode is network dependent - for eg, on your landline, if you have network services, its *21*numbertodivertto#
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 June 2011, 11:12:59 »

I'm with T-mobile.
Rang them today asking about call diverting and they told me it will cost 12p p/m to divert a call to O2.
Not sure whether it's worth it or if anyone knows of a better way?

One of the methods I am just starting to use...

Both my iPhone and (now, at last) my Telematics are on Giffgaff (part of Telefonica, thus uses O2 network).

Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls are free, as long as you have topped up in the last 3 months.

The iPhone is topped up monthly (ie, I pay my £10 for 250m, unlimited text, unlimited data), so will always have free Giffgaff-Giffgaff calls, so I've just started diverting that to Telematics.

(The £15 I have on the Telematics PAYG sim will last me at least a year (calls=8p/min))

I guess I will find out soon if forwarded calls are uncluded in the free minutes ;D

Why not check out for yourself, and if you use my link below, you get a £5 the first time you top up :y

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/theboy
Just checked, giffgaff to giffgaff call forwarding is free if you have topped up the phone being forwarded in the last 3 months.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 June 2011, 11:13:23 »

shall use that if i ever get telematics  :)

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
  • pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 June 2011, 15:42:12 »

I have a friend who works for Voda, & can confirm that Voda don't do more than 1 sim on a number for the reasons listed above- and hasn't heard of any other network doing so despite repeated customer requests

Seem to remember credit card size sim adaptors on fleabay...

hth
Trouble with using 1 sim is the sims and the phones aren't designed for constant sim changing.

And of course with the Iphone, you'd need 2 adaptors..... can't see that silly plastic holder putting up with much use as you say

The Giffgaff thing sounds like a result tho  :)
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

Rich-K

• West Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 June 2011, 17:01:11 »

I just use my ordinary mobile handset with a fitted hands free kit in the car.  That way I can always receive/make calls, one number and no need to divert anything.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 June 2011, 18:31:03 »

I just use my ordinary mobile handset with a fitted hands free kit in the car.  That way I can always receive/make calls, one number and no need to divert anything.
Yes, I have the CK-7W fitted as well, but outgoing calls (without dialling on handset) are a PITA on the gayPhone, as voice dialling on it is appallingly, errr, gay.  Apparently, I do not speak how Mr Jobs would like me to speak.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #21 on: 06 June 2011, 18:31:12 »

:-X :-X :-X   ;D
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 June 2011, 18:32:52 »

Would I retrofit Telematics again? No.

Would I use Telematics if fitted? Yup.
Grumpy old man

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 June 2011, 19:10:43 »

Feel totally dumb here, but what is Telematics please?
In idiot language, lol  ;)
AKA - Mr Bracket

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #24 on: 06 June 2011, 19:26:27 »

Feel totally dumb here, but what is Telematics please?
In idiot language, lol  ;)

The telematics is essentially a dedicated, security code protected phone kit that is remote mounted somewhere in the rear of the car, but fully integrates  with and is controlled by the top end stereo systems that often also incorporate sat nav as well.

Glorified phone kit that only works with O2 and Voda !

Plain enough for you ?

;)

Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 June 2011, 19:40:39 »

What Dave DND says above, though fully integrated into the stereo, thus controlled by steering wheel and MID/GID/CID etc.

Works well enough, though Voda/O2 (and associated networks such as Tesco and GiffGaff) only, but a bit of a pain to retrofit, and only supported by the NCDx range of stereos.

CCRT700 (prefacelift) and CCRT200x (facelift) are the same idea (with same limitations around Networks), but the phone unit is actually built in bolted on the back of the stereo
Grumpy old man

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2011, 19:52:45 »

Cheers for that guys, at least I can follow the conversation and understand it now!  :y
AKA - Mr Bracket

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 June 2011, 00:11:20 »

Yes, I have the CK-7W fitted as well, but outgoing calls (without dialling on handset) are a PITA on the gayPhone, as voice dialling on it is appallingly, errr, gay.  Apparently, I do not speak how Mr Jobs would like me to speak.

Have you tried an arrogant American accent?
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 June 2011, 21:24:34 »

No, but when I shouted a torrent of abuse at the bloody thing, it replied with "Calling Home".  Not quite sure how it got that from "dial the right ******* number, you homosexual piece of hopeless ******* ****"

:-/
Grumpy old man

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 June 2011, 23:30:33 »

No, but when I shouted a torrent of abuse at the bloody thing, it replied with "Calling Home".  Not quite sure how it got that from "dial the right ******* number, you homosexual piece of hopeless ******* ****"

:-/

Maybe by "home" it meant calling Apple?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.