Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear bushes changed today  (Read 2081 times)

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
Rear bushes changed today
« on: 20 December 2011, 22:14:36 »

Been changing the rear bushes today to try and cure wandering..

This is the drivers side bush, notice solid rubber in the bush is aligned with the arm.

The bush has come away from the metal sleeve.

Passengers side bush, again the solid part of the bush is aligned with the arm

Bit of a mess but there out. The other bush has also become separated from the metal sleeve.

And has it made any difference ? To be honest I'm not 100% sure it has, I still get slight movement at the back when going over ruts and grooves in the road. But I have also recently changed the front wishbones and as yet haven't had the geo done. I've only driven it a for about 20miles just to check it out and probably won't drive it much till I get it checked out. It is better than before but probably I was expecting perfection..

Another question which way should the bushes be aligned, as seen in the pics they are about 45deg out from the way mentioned in the guide. So who's correct ?

feeutfo

Re: Rear bushes changed today
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2011, 23:47:23 »

The original position is correct. There is an amendment in the guide, which needs an update. A big update, tbh.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2011, 05:34:01 »

The original position is correct. There is an amendment in the guide, which needs an update. A big update, tbh.

Bugger, I put them in 90deg to the car, looks like will have to come out again, And having retread the guide again it does make sense now. What's the chances of getting them out undamaged. And should the bushes go back flush with the arm because they stand out a little bit and won't go in any further which seems odd.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2011, 10:00:55 »

Pete.

Here is the update....sounds like they should come out a lot easier when new. :y

Update.

It has become clear that its important to fit the bush with the correct orientation. That being with the void holes/slots nearest the front and back of the car, and with the solid areas, that join the centre spacer to the body, nearest the sides of the car so as to give most resistance to sideways movement, and allow movement for and aft.

Or as another point of refrance, if you look at the back of the bush ,or look from " the top" when viewed in its fitted position, you will see the 3 cut outs used for levering them out. One of the slots points directly at the centre of the bush, position this cut out nearest, or pointing at, the front of the car.

If the bush is not fitted correctly, the car will tramline and wander noticeably at the rear needing correction at the steering wheel. Note this gives no sensation of pulling through the steering, as the car is in effect steering from the back.

If you should need to reposition them, dont worry too much they come out alot easier when new and one even allowed me to force it back in with hammer! However the other was a bit more stubborn for some reason. Both sides re done in 1 hour. If only it was that easy first time round.
Hth.

So to reiterate, the solid sections pointing, or aligned with the rear dif. And the pointing along the line of the subframe arm.

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2011, 11:23:18 »

Bugger, I put them in 90deg to the car, looks like will have to come out again, And having retread the guide again it does make sense now. What's the chances of getting them out undamaged. And should the bushes go back flush with the arm because they stand out a little bit and won't go in any further which seems odd.
On re fitting, once the bush is in as far as you can get it, fit the centre bolt only and tighten until it hits the inner chassis, this stretches the bush inner inward. Then with a hammer, welt the outside edges inward to get the last couple of mill of depth until the flange sits flush with the arm. The bigger the hammer(not a Sammy) and the higher the car, to get a swing at it, the better. Av it! ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2011, 11:25:14 »

Ps bush will be absolutely fine to re fit. Use a little washing up liquid if it helps to re fit.

x25dt

• Omega Knight
  • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2011, 11:58:26 »

good work mate :y

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2011, 19:05:01 »

On re fitting, once the bush is in as far as you can get it, fit the centre bolt only and tighten until it hits the inner chassis, this stretches the bush inner inward. Then with a hammer, welt the outside edges inward to get the last couple of mill of depth until the flange sits flush with the arm. The bigger the hammer(not a Sammy) and the higher the car, to get a swing at it, the better. Av it! ;)

Thanks for that Chris, off to get a bigger hammer....

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2011, 14:07:41 »

Ok, rear bushes removed turned round and smacked in with a big 'ammer....

As a bonus I've also changed the front wishbones again with ones with poly bushes, only took 2 1/2 hours, I must be getting better.

And just to repay me the car has thrown up a 0420 code, precats etc...

Just been for a little drive and its much improved.

Now just trying to book some online geo with WIM to get it done at a garage near me. Has to be done online with WIM to get their settings.. Hopefully this afternoon, but don't hold out much hope its now 2pm..

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2011, 15:49:52 »

Pretty impressive bit of work done there,and in super  :y :y :y speedy time.

Glad to hear the handling has improved and your efforts have been succesfull. ;)

I used the place over the Rochester Bridge on the L/H side by the Petrol garage and found them very professional and helpfull.Not sure if they are affiliated to WIM,s but they have all the kit there and several guys who do seem to know how to use it. :y

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2011, 19:14:51 »

Pretty impressive bit of work done there,and in super  :y :y :y speedy time.

Glad to hear the handling has improved and your efforts have been succesfull. ;)

I used the place over the Rochester Bridge on the L/H side by the Petrol garage and found them very professional and helpfull.Not sure if they are affiliated to WIM,s but they have all the kit there and several guys who do seem to know how to use it. :y

That's where I'm booked in when I ring them up for a date and time, couldn't get it done today but hopefully after xmas, had a chat with WIM they send their data across to whoever's doing the alignment. So should be WIM'd without the miles of travel. We shall see and I'll report back..

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2011, 22:47:03 »

Good man weds. :y

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2011, 09:55:28 »

Pete.

Here is the update....sounds like they should come out a lot easier when new. :y

Update.

It has become clear that its important to fit the bush with the correct orientation. That being with the void holes/slots nearest the front and back of the car, and with the solid areas, that join the centre spacer to the body, nearest the sides of the car so as to give most resistance to sideways movement, and allow movement for and aft.

So to reiterate, the solid sections pointing, or aligned with the rear dif. And the pointing along the line of the subframe arm.

I must be reading this wrong because these seem to contradict each other?!?!?
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2011, 09:57:39 »

The last sentence was an update.... Iirc.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2011, 11:21:26 »

Pete.

Update.

I must be reading this wrong because these seem to contradict each other?!?!?

I think that's what threw me and i installed then square to the car and not in line to the subframe arm, all sorted now..
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.