Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gear changes  (Read 1105 times)

largespeakers

• View Profile
gear changes
« on: 17 October 2009, 15:33:37 »

Anyone else find that on the 2.5 manual unless there is a large load you only need 2nd, 3rd and 5th gears? I find the car pulls smoothly just in these gears and using 1st is not neccessary.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: gear changes
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2009, 15:47:42 »

thats thanks to the torque, but, i would not pull off in second too much you will kill the clutch. (your slipping it every time you pull off in second)

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2009, 15:50:58 »

It is if you are setting off up a slope, but I do take your point that the torque from the engine allows an early move into 2nd gear.

When I had a manual I recall 3rd bing the most flexible gear, having a range from very slow to well over the legal limit .......

largespeakers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2009, 16:09:17 »

thats thanks to the torque, but, i would not pull off in second too much you will kill the clutch. (your slipping it every time you pull off in second)

I'm not so sure, I cant detect any clutch slip, but obviously its better safe than sorry!

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2009, 16:50:49 »

You should always use 1st to pull away, after that you can change how you feel. if you keep using 2nd you wil knack the clutch, gearbox and the engine, in the longrun its not good for your car.
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2009, 17:01:29 »

I recall 3rd bing the most flexible gear .......

D is the most flexible in mine   ::) ::) ::) ::)  ;)
« Last Edit: 17 October 2009, 17:01:56 by Andy_B »

KillerWatt

« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2009, 17:27:36 »

I'm not so sure, I cant detect any clutch slip, but obviously its better safe than sorry!
Vx spent millions on the design, and I'm pretty sure if 1st wasn't needed then they wouldn't have included it.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2009, 17:31:38 »

Vx spent millions on the design, and I'm pretty sure if 1st wasn't needed then they wouldn't have included it.[/quote]
That`s what I like about you KW. Straight to the point 8-)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

largespeakers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2009, 18:03:59 »

Vx spent millions on the design, and I'm pretty sure if 1st wasn't needed then they wouldn't have included it.[/quote]
That`s what I like about you KW. Straight to the point 8-)
I wonder if its geared to cope with towing or a full load of passengers because it seems not to need it with just me in.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2009, 18:10:41 »

Vx spent millions on the design, and I'm pretty sure if 1st wasn't needed then they wouldn't have included it.

Rather simplistic. I'm sure they spend a whole load on their vans too, but whether you need to use 1st when you set off depends on whether you're on you own in it or got the max payload etc. In a particular van I used to drive years ago, by the the time you'd got to crawling pace it was screaming to be changed into 2nd, it was far better/relaxing to start of from second in the first place. If however you were pointing up a hill with a load of weight ..... you used 1st.  ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2009, 18:12:00 »

Most LGV's and Buses pull away in second ... except on hill starts so if the vehicle is capable it does no damage at all.

KillerWatt

« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2009, 18:32:25 »

Rather simplistic. I'm sure they spend a whole load on their vans too, but whether you need to use 1st when you set off depends on whether you're on you own in it or got the max payload etc. In a particular van I used to drive years ago, by the the time you'd got to crawling pace it was screaming to be changed into 2nd, it was far better/relaxing to start of from second in the first place. If however you were pointing up a hill with a load of weight ..... you used 1st.  ;)
That's why they spend millions Andy, they have to take in to account every possible scenario and make it work with ALL of them.

Sure in a van I'll skip 1st if it's empty, but I'll only do that if I know it is low geared to start with (and, more importantly, it ain't mine to worry about if it breaks).

In the case of most cars, they are not low geared as such, and just because they can make the necessary torque, it doesn't mean that pulling away in a higher gear is doing the car any favours (in fact, it's probably causing more wear).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.