Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue_Dream's V6 Repair Thread  (Read 673 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Blue_Dream's V6 Repair Thread
« on: 18 October 2009, 20:46:25 »

Well, I called in to have a look at the non-starting V6 that was posted in General help recently. The info was, car wouldn't start and had symptoms of no compression.

In a nutshell, after checking the crank sprocket was aligned correctly in its keyway, and re-fitting the cambelt kit, it soon became apparent there was no compression whatsoever - I could turn the crank by hand!

This was about 6pm, nearly dark.

Either way - the engine now had to come apart to investigate.

By around 8:30pm the cylinder heads were on the floor.

There was some quite clear evidence of bent valves, they were visibly not seating in their seats.

I've jetwashed the heads, and removed the exhaust manifolds. Thankfully only one broken stud, which I managed to extract  8-)

I've popped out a couple of the valves. Initial look would suggest that there is no damage to the valve guides, so I'm hoping I will get away with lapping in a new set of valves, and keeping the existing heads.

The head gaskets were also showing deterioration - probably through coolant maintenance, so this will be killing two birds with one stone.

I don't usually undertake big repair jobs (in favour of normal servicing) - but on this occasion I've agreed, on the basis there's no real rush and I can fit it in around other stuff  :y

This means we have the time to do a very thorough job, therefore all the stem seals will be replaced, along with anything else that needs it - the heads will be thoroughly cleaned, as will the block, and the engine bay, before it goes back together - along with new cambelt kit, water pump, and the other regular service items.

In the pic below, you can see the exhaust valves are clearly not seating!

Not very straight!!

I will be rebuilding the heads bit by bit, just doing half hour or so each evening through the next couple of weeks, with new metal manifold gaskets (composite ones were fitted!) - updates to follow...  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Blue_Dream's V6 Repair Thread
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2009, 20:52:06 »

Clear signs of corrosion around the coolant passages so poor maintenance on the coolant front

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2009, 20:57:55 »

Clear signs of corrosion around the coolant passages so poor maintenance on the coolant front
I agree. best stick a pair of secondhand heads on  ;D

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2009, 21:13:20 »

To think I had a cam sprocket go loose - heat stroke while reassembling the engine.

No valve damage whatsover and the timing went out 180 degrees
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.