Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircon regas Q  (Read 2148 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Aircon regas Q
« on: 07 March 2021, 22:46:44 »

The Barge needs its aircon regassing, and according to MB, it requires extra PAG 46 oil added for each component replaced...

20ml for the drier and 10ml for the expansion valve. It also suggests an amount for each line replaced. The lines haven't been replaced but the seals have. Which I suspect amounts to the same thing :-\

The question being, can the regas machine adjust the amount of oil added?

The low pressure return to the compressor has an easily accessible joint to add additional oil. I do have some as I bought a can for lubricating the fresh seals.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2021, 23:03:08 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Aircon regas Q
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2021, 09:38:26 »

The oil is there to lubricate the only moving part in the system - the compressor. It is miscible with the gas (R134a presumably) which kind of means it dissolves in the gas and then the gas carries it around the system so that there is a steady flow of oil through the compressor pistons. When the gas escapes the oil is left behind and even the vacuuming down of the system before refill will not remove much of it.

The calculations on how much oil to add to the various components when replacing them is based on their volume - the amount of oil that they would normally contain when the system is operating properly. What you must not do is add all the required oil to one point in the system. That would cause a slug of oil in one part which eventually might find it's way into the compressor in one 'lump' and damage it. If you've just replaced the condenser then it's fine to put the right amount into it. Similarly with the expansion valve and drier and the pipes. But if you've replaced several components, make sure you spread the oil around correctly, don't just pump it all in in one location.

The refilling machine can't know which components you have replaced or washed out, so can't add the oil automagically. Some machines do allow you to add extra oil, some don't. Personally I always add the oil myself rather than trust the monkey operating the 'dalek'.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2021, 11:54:42 »

Most aircon re-gas equipment can have the pag oil adjusted
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2021, 12:21:07 »

:y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2021, 17:33:43 »

Miscible. Never too old to learn something new.  :y Excellent word added to my vocabulary. Only six more left to go!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2021, 18:10:37 »

Well that went well. Not ;D

Too big a leak to pull a vacuum to do a leak test and add some dye to find the leak...  ::)

Next step would potentially be to re replace all the seals using genuine MB ones so that there's no discrepancy there (I used generic from a selection box matched as best as it possible) and replacing the compressor and condenser. That way, the only unchanged part would be the evaporator. Which would mean also the heater matrix as it's a dash out job...

Sooo... Ho diddly hum pom.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2021, 18:19:16 »

Too big a leak to pull a vacuum to do a leak test and add some dye to find the leak...  ::)

Next step would potentially be to re replace all the seals using genuine MB ones so that there's no discrepancy there (I used generic from a selection box matched as best as it possible) and replacing the compressor and condenser. That way, the only unchanged part would be the evaporator. Which would mean also the heater matrix as it's a dash out job...

Try and adapt a tyre valve to add some air to system to find the hiss where it's leaking,my money is on the compressor as they are prone to seals failing if left ungassed for long periods

Edit,just seen that you replaced compressor,New part ?
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2021, 18:43:11 »

Not yet.

Replaced items so far: Drier, expansion valve and ALL the O rings.

Compressor clutch appears to be working correctly, as best as can be tested ign on/aircon switch on off... Certainly feel a difference when it's engaged, but still smooth with no binding or pulley issues. From what I can gather, the compressor is constantly engaged with a bypass valve regulated by the climate panel.

I did pull the condenser to check both sides, and no evidence of any previous leaks.

It's possible that the new seals, although looked the same as what came out, may be too small/large. I did dip them in Pag 46 before fitting, so it isn't as though they were fitted dry.

Also it's a possibility that the low pressure connection to the compressor and the allen bolts than hold the expansion valve to the evaporator connection aren't quite tight enough but the torque setting is pretty low on the entire system... There's only so much torque you can put through a 3mm allen bolt into aluminium ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2021, 18:47:47 »

Good job you're on furlough, that car is a full time 40 hour a week job. ;D
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2021, 19:49:39 »

The correct way to do it is to pressurise the system with dry Nitrogen - up to about 7 bar pressure. If the leak is big enough to prevent vac-down then you should hear it hissing. A proper Air-Con place would know this  ::)

I have also done it using normal compressed air. Trouble is there are reports that R134a + compressed air can be explosive. I don't know what combinations cause the explosive conditions, but I do believe the reports. So do ya feel lucky punk - do ya?  You might want to warn the other residents of Brackley first ;D

My money is on the condenser. It's always the condenser. Even when it's not the condenser, its the condenser.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2021, 19:53:29 by LC0112G »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2021, 21:03:07 »

Nitrogen at 10-20psi,. Get a squirty bottle with a soapy solution in. Pressure the system, spray joints and condenser with solution,, hay presto bubbles= leak. Check check both ports first.
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2021, 21:16:30 »

So ... to use Rob's description  ::).... will the 'monkey' operating the machine know how much pag oil to add?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2021, 21:17:57 »

and how do you calculate how much oil to add?  :-\

I ask as I think I'll be doing this on Mrs B's C3 some time soon  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2021, 00:29:04 »

They treated it as a complete fill rather than a remove/replace, so oil and refrigerant would have been the original factory amounts :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2021, 00:36:51 »

Nitrogen at 10-20psi,. Get a squirty bottle with a soapy solution in. Pressure the system, spray joints and condenser with solution,, hay presto bubbles= leak. Check check both ports first.
Ports were both replaced with genuine new last year... because they leaked  ;)

Try and adapt a tyre valve to add some air to system to find the hiss where it's leaking,my money is on the compressor as they are prone to seals failing if left ungassed for long periods

Edit,just seen that you replaced compressor,New part ?
To further answer your point Henry, there were two oily accumulations, ie black/slimy/minging on the system... one was the condenser connection (where I found evidence of the dye) and tother the compressor itself... although I had dismissed this as residue from oil filter housing seals and rocker cover seals which have both been replaced. :-\
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.