Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'The' Omega... Progress Diary  (Read 12866 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Re: 'The' Omega... Progress Diary
« Reply #90 on: 26 January 2015, 13:24:08 »

I had the same , someone had rounded off the allen screw . Took ages to get it out and by the time it was out it was time to pack up the tools  :( Yesterday i was taking the locking wheel nuts off the rear of the Omega and the key kept slipping trying to undo it  >:( didnt slip doing it up  >:( Nasty things but enough to make you fill the swear bottle  :(
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 26 January 2015, 13:49:57 »

Tried chiselling, but given that it's stuffed, I think I'm going to have to resort to just drilling the head off, thus the disc can come off, then I can get mole grips on the stub of thread poking out, which is bound to shift it. Then replace the screw (which I was going to do in the first place)

She's just been a bit mean to me, I think.

I think we're in a similar situation, with time against us. She has only been moved forward to the front half of the drive once in 7 years, and upon doing that I had a narrow window of a few hours, before the light went, and that part of the drive was needed for another car. To top it off, I was on my third jack, after two failed on me - no idea why they've been kept - so I ended up digging out the one out of the Turbo Weasel.  In the cold and wind, with nothing going right, I'd had enough and admit I'd lost my rag by the end of it, an old alloy wheel and tyre ended up being chucked about 15 feet.  :(

Now I've found I need at least some, if not all, new fuel lines so that's another thing that needs doing. Can't believe that a job I've done maybe a dozen times, a job I know I can do, and is pretty easy, really, has me beat. Away this weekend, too, so God knows when I'm going to get chance for another crack at it (nearside is only accessible when the car's brought forward, and can only do that on a weekend when the drive's free)

Ahh!  >:(  Might look at the offside tonight - if I can get that done that might 'cure' my mood.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 26 January 2015, 14:02:28 »

Think i used a chisel to tap it round to get the allen screw out , it had locktight on it too  :( With the rounded locking wheel nut , i smeared a wee bit of course grinding paste into the key so it gave it enough grip to turn ... that worked  :y
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 26 January 2015, 14:44:15 »

Tried the chisel method, to no avail, I'm just not very good at it!

If I can get a good 'notch' cut in, then it should tap round but all I'm doing is making a soft indentation, which the chisel doesn't have any kind of grip on, and just sids straight out again. It is, like many things, harder than it looks. There's definitely a knack to it  :-\
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 12 February 2015, 14:06:02 »

Hello chaps. here's the latest update. Good news!

Sat down last night straight in from work, grabbed a packet of McCoys crisps for tea, and had a relaxed evening, taking everything slowly, plenty of wire brushing and penetrating fluid, always being careful to use the right too, etc. Everything, everything came undone/apart  :D

So just to give you an idea of the condition of suspension after 7 years sitting up a driveway in a seaside town...

My favourite is the state of the brake shields / studs...

As I say everything came undone, without a single stud or nut damaged beyond use. (In the case of the Philips M6s for the brake shields, these are literally pence each for brand new stainless steel, so I won't be reusing the old ones. So

Wheel, hub nut, bearing, steering knuckle, balljoint popped for trackrod, wishbone nuts & bolts all off.

With the few parts still left on simply on loose, I popped home in my dinner hour today to 'finish the job' as the wishbone being stuck on was still annoying me. After a few clouts with a mallet I removed the front horizontal bolt.... ahem  ::) and then it came off  :y

Even the hub nut came off like a dream, using ye olde breaker bar and scaffold tube. Damper is being replaced, so no need to worry getting the other end of the droplink off.  :)Which leaves us here...

Not much left on! Best get on ATP and get me some track rod ends ordered. All the other parts I need are in the boot.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2015, 14:16:12 by Diamond Black Geezer »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.