Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Ride a long' in facelift V6  (Read 3737 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: 'Ride a long' in facelift V6
« Reply #30 on: 10 July 2009, 17:52:03 »

but, after comparing two omegas of the same engine size I reckon the auto just doesnt have the same responsiveness when you want it.  .....

You need more practice in an auto!  ;)   ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)
There is a lag between planting your foot & the transmission catching up but you do soon learn to take it into account!  :y

I have to admit I still do sometimes get tied up myself. My Omega is obviously auto, wife's Astra is auto but my Astra shed is manual, so sometimes when I drive her Astra I press my clutch which her's doesn't have ..... possibly that's one of the reasons they don't encourage you to drive auto's with 2 feet!  ;D  ;D  ;D  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 July 2009, 19:34:15 »

Whilst I like manuals, the Omega manual box isn't my favourite by a long shot.  I'm also of the opinion that a big comfy cruiser like the Omega should be an effortless drive, and that means auto.

I suspect many have made their opinions of autos on knackered, poor quality boxes.  They perhaps should go for a blast in an auto thats silky smooth and responsive like mine ;)
Grumpy old man

RichardH

• Intermediate Member
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 July 2009, 20:05:14 »

I have to admit I'm guilty of this  :-[ but, after comparing two omegas of the same engine size I reckon the auto just doesnt have the same responsiveness when you want it. Although I'd probably take an auto over a manual if the omega came with a big lazy v8 8-)

If you ever find yourself down in the Tipperary area pop in and I will give you a proper spin in my car.  It's the first auto I have ever owned and I love it .  :)

There is obviously a delay on getting power down as the gearbox kicks down, but you really get used to it and anticipate it.  And that damn S button is so addictive.  I really need to tape over it with something as it's costing me a fortune! :-)

I find the major difference over a manual though is with the normal day to day cruising and driving through towns.  It really saves the old left leg from all that clutching.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2009, 20:07:41 by RichardH »

Big Fra

• Omega Knight
  • Motherwell
  • I will ride with miggy pride once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 July 2009, 20:43:33 »

I always preferred manuals, and my mig was a manual, but 2nd gear and 4k with the foot to the floor, made me a happy, and skint, boy.

My Mazda 6 I got after the mig is an auto, and I love it. A little sluggish at times but a great, effortless drive.

I do believe an autobox suits the Mig's characteristics perfectly, and with the sport button..... :D

Manual cars have a certain crispness, which a large car like the omega does not suit.
SWMBO's Megane diseasel is only the 80hp version, but it certainly is fun on the twisty's and the torque of the engine makes up for the hp disadvantage.

That's my tuppence worth.

:y

Omega man 2

• Omega Knight
  • If all else fails, get out the oxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 July 2009, 01:31:16 »

I have to admit I'm guilty of this  :-[ but, after comparing two omegas of the same engine size I reckon the auto just doesnt have the same responsiveness when you want it. Although I'd probably take an auto over a manual if the omega came with a big lazy v8 8-)

If you ever find yourself down in the Tipperary area pop in and I will give you a proper spin in my car.  It's the first auto I have ever owned and I love it .  :)

There is obviously a delay on getting power down as the gearbox kicks down, but you really get used to it and anticipate it.  And that damn S button is so addictive.  I really need to tape over it with something as it's costing me a fortune! :-)

I find the major difference over a manual though is with the normal day to day cruising and driving through towns.  It really saves the old left leg from all that clutching.

Ah break, I was only down in Co. Tipp last week :(
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.