Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 'on road mapping', Greddy ultimate  (Read 3583 times)

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
  • Hahaha cool- 1000+bhp combined on the drive!!!!!!!
    • 3.0mv6 auto, cav4x4 turbo
    • View Profile
'on road mapping', Greddy ultimate
« on: 31 August 2011, 16:27:42 »

Yo..

My cav turbo has Greddy emanage ultimate controlling a pretty high spec including forged pistons etc, hybrid turbo, Fmic, Greddy boost controller, AEM AIR/fuel wideband, etc.

Currently it's mapped for 250bhp@1bar at hubs. It was only mapped to this spec because a misfire developed- this has since been cured, so am looking at getting it up to the 1.5ish bar it's all geared up for.

What I want to do is get it 'live mapped'. I need someone with experience in doing this, and in particular with the Greddy emanage setup. With me driving and the 'mapper' controlling and watching (and instructing when to boot) I am unaware of any real disadvantage doing this over attending a rolling road. Please correct me where you see fit here! ;D

As I will be attending a rolling road day in October, I'm not bothered about an accurate (ish) power/torque printout, as this will happen then, also I can't see the point in paying for rolling road time if I only need a guy.

I can't find anything that's what I'm after via google, just wondered if anyone on here could advise/point me in the next direction?

Ta.. :y
The weather is here... Wish you were beautiful!

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: 'on road mapping', Greddy ultimate
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2011, 16:59:23 »

Not really a lover of rolling roads myself. Brother in law has taken his car three times (different rolling road each time) time and none are anywhere close to each other.
If your having a "live re mapped" done do it on the road where you will use it, not on rollers.....

Just my opinion  :)
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 17:00:44 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2011, 17:05:44 »

And I'd say differently ;) While I mapped the MR2 entirely on the road I'm well aware there are fairly large 'holes' in the map that are either because:

a) It's an area of the map very hard to visit on the public road (odd cruise loads, high speed cruise)
b) WOT at high load

It's hard to have a sustained period of WOT in 4th gear to generate high load values as you're then doing silly speeds (I know a fella who mapped a race-prepped GTR on the road, the top end speed was three digits beginning with '2'!)

A brake dyno is the best place to map a car, then tweak the map for real world air temperatures on the road, IMHO.

Don't try and use an inertia dyno, though..

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2011, 17:26:02 »

And I'd say differently ;) While I mapped the MR2 entirely on the road I'm well aware there are fairly large 'holes' in the map that are either because:

a) It's an area of the map very hard to visit on the public road (odd cruise loads, high speed cruise)
b) WOT at high load

It's hard to have a sustained period of WOT in 4th gear to generate high load values as you're then doing silly speeds (I know a fella who mapped a race-prepped GTR on the road, the top end speed was three digits beginning with '2'!)

A brake dyno is the best place to map a car, then tweak the map for real world air temperatures on the road, IMHO.

That seems to contradict putting it on a rolling road though to me.
 :-?
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 17:27:18 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2011, 17:29:46 »

b) WOT at high load

That seems to contradict putting it on a rolling road though to me.
 :-?

But the AIT corrections should be a global thing (well, they are in my standalone) so all you have to do is make sure that the global enrichment is right as the temperatures drop (they'll be somewhat higher on a RR)..

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2011, 17:39:04 »

I am not a re mapper, but I sat next to a very good one doing my own car. I asked several questions as you do when interested.
He told me that "on road live mapping" was best, also top speed in top gear was not needed to get peak power for the re map... Or words to that effect.

I know when my car was done top speed was not needed, although granted 60-80 was done alot, then had to go through the gears but top speed was not reached.

I arent arguing by the way here just interested in your view   
 ;)
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 17:40:56 by Loo-knee »

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2011, 18:13:24 »

I am not a re mapper, but I sat next to a very good one doing my own car. I asked several questions as you do when interested.
He told me that "on road live mapping" was best, also top speed in top gear was not needed to get peak power for the re map... Or words to that effect.

I know when my car was done top speed was not needed, although granted 60-80 was done alot, then had to go through the gears but top speed was not reached.

I arent arguing by the way here just interested in your view   
 ;)

That's what opinion I have adopted from what I've heard, another reason for wanting it live mapped. Would imagine the local long steep hill in 4th would give a pretty good load if need be  ;)

But where do I look to find someone suitable to take on the job?  :-? Don't want any ol' monkey doing it lol, my mate had his scooby done the other week, (on the same Sunday as someone else on here, ironically) but apparently he was like 'nah mate I only do scoobies' ::)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2011, 18:18:43 »

Andy Forest did mine who also only does Scoobs.

You must be on a Cavalier forum where someone has had it done... Can they not give you any advise? Other than that email Andy Forest and ask him I would imagine he would no someone.
 :y

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2011, 18:48:24 »

Andy Forest did mine who also only does Scoobs.

You must be on a Cavalier forum where someone has had it done... Can they not give you any advise? Other than that email Andy Forest and ask him I would imagine he would no someone.
 :y

Yes mate I'm on CTOC, tbh I don't think it a norm combination on a cav but anyways, that enquiry got as far as recommending the usual rolling road equipped tuners.. Although I will dig the thread back up and ask again, was a few weeks ago now. I think my best bet might be to sign up on a jap car forum, and ask there.. I mean, surely all the same thoeries would apply with regard to fuel ratios, boost, anything else etc, wouldn't have thought it'd make much difference, other than where the operator would attach headphones. This Greddy unit was 2nd hand off a pulsar if that counts lol so its the same unit, with the same element of control, regardless what car it's in??

Is he easy to find an email address for? I would imagine a quick google search- I'll send him an email see what he can suggest  :y good shout!

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2011, 18:51:24 »

This the one??

Www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk

Website anyway...

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2011, 19:03:57 »

That is his website mate yes, what his email is I dont know as another guy arranged him to come down here.
Type his name in you tube for proof of his workmanship   :y

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2011, 19:10:50 »

That is his website mate yes, what his email is I dont know as another guy arranged him to come down here.
Type his name in you tube for    :y

No need lol I've heard the name before, plus I'm sold by the online sales pitch! ;D lol

Email sent  :y

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2011, 19:14:41 »

I am rather interested in your outcome to be honest, please keep me posted.
If that fails I have a place near me called GT Motorsport I think its called who do all that kind of thing or so I am told.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :y
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 19:16:52 by Loo-knee »

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2011, 19:23:24 »

Ay I'll let ya know when I get a result lol, I nearly got it done at TDI a while ago, but after they set it all up on the hub dyno, (must have been sat there 45 mins) they then realised they should ask me if I had the software disk!!!! I didn't!!! And they wouldn't download the latest version and try that  :( so hence I still need it mapping...

Will keep ya posted  :y

kingycos2

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2011, 20:07:36 »

Take yourself up to Blackpool for the day, visit Stu at Motorsport Developments (MSD). He is renowned as possibly one of the best, if not the best at live mapping and tunning. I've had 3 Saab aero's and my sierra Cosworth goes there every year to be done, the results are amazing and he is very highly talked about on the RS/passionford sites. I don't trust anyone else with any turbo powered car I've had, my sapphire has done 130,000 and it drives like 40,000, IMO its down to their ability to maintain cars like that, I also took my cavalier turbo there about 6 years ago, which i sold shortly after.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.