Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'on road mapping', Greddy ultimate  (Read 3579 times)

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
  • Hahaha cool- 1000+bhp combined on the drive!!!!!!!
    • 3.0mv6 auto, cav4x4 turbo
    • View Profile
'on road mapping', Greddy ultimate
« on: 31 August 2011, 16:27:42 »

Yo..

My cav turbo has Greddy emanage ultimate controlling a pretty high spec including forged pistons etc, hybrid turbo, Fmic, Greddy boost controller, AEM AIR/fuel wideband, etc.

Currently it's mapped for 250bhp@1bar at hubs. It was only mapped to this spec because a misfire developed- this has since been cured, so am looking at getting it up to the 1.5ish bar it's all geared up for.

What I want to do is get it 'live mapped'. I need someone with experience in doing this, and in particular with the Greddy emanage setup. With me driving and the 'mapper' controlling and watching (and instructing when to boot) I am unaware of any real disadvantage doing this over attending a rolling road. Please correct me where you see fit here! ;D

As I will be attending a rolling road day in October, I'm not bothered about an accurate (ish) power/torque printout, as this will happen then, also I can't see the point in paying for rolling road time if I only need a guy.

I can't find anything that's what I'm after via google, just wondered if anyone on here could advise/point me in the next direction?

Ta.. :y
The weather is here... Wish you were beautiful!

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: 'on road mapping', Greddy ultimate
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2011, 16:59:23 »

Not really a lover of rolling roads myself. Brother in law has taken his car three times (different rolling road each time) time and none are anywhere close to each other.
If your having a "live re mapped" done do it on the road where you will use it, not on rollers.....

Just my opinion  :)
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 17:00:44 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2011, 17:05:44 »

And I'd say differently ;) While I mapped the MR2 entirely on the road I'm well aware there are fairly large 'holes' in the map that are either because:

a) It's an area of the map very hard to visit on the public road (odd cruise loads, high speed cruise)
b) WOT at high load

It's hard to have a sustained period of WOT in 4th gear to generate high load values as you're then doing silly speeds (I know a fella who mapped a race-prepped GTR on the road, the top end speed was three digits beginning with '2'!)

A brake dyno is the best place to map a car, then tweak the map for real world air temperatures on the road, IMHO.

Don't try and use an inertia dyno, though..

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2011, 17:26:02 »

And I'd say differently ;) While I mapped the MR2 entirely on the road I'm well aware there are fairly large 'holes' in the map that are either because:

a) It's an area of the map very hard to visit on the public road (odd cruise loads, high speed cruise)
b) WOT at high load

It's hard to have a sustained period of WOT in 4th gear to generate high load values as you're then doing silly speeds (I know a fella who mapped a race-prepped GTR on the road, the top end speed was three digits beginning with '2'!)

A brake dyno is the best place to map a car, then tweak the map for real world air temperatures on the road, IMHO.

That seems to contradict putting it on a rolling road though to me.
 :-?
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 17:27:18 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2011, 17:29:46 »

b) WOT at high load

That seems to contradict putting it on a rolling road though to me.
 :-?

But the AIT corrections should be a global thing (well, they are in my standalone) so all you have to do is make sure that the global enrichment is right as the temperatures drop (they'll be somewhat higher on a RR)..

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2011, 17:39:04 »

I am not a re mapper, but I sat next to a very good one doing my own car. I asked several questions as you do when interested.
He told me that "on road live mapping" was best, also top speed in top gear was not needed to get peak power for the re map... Or words to that effect.

I know when my car was done top speed was not needed, although granted 60-80 was done alot, then had to go through the gears but top speed was not reached.

I arent arguing by the way here just interested in your view   
 ;)
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 17:40:56 by Loo-knee »

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2011, 18:13:24 »

I am not a re mapper, but I sat next to a very good one doing my own car. I asked several questions as you do when interested.
He told me that "on road live mapping" was best, also top speed in top gear was not needed to get peak power for the re map... Or words to that effect.

I know when my car was done top speed was not needed, although granted 60-80 was done alot, then had to go through the gears but top speed was not reached.

;)

That's what opinion I have adopted from what I've heard, another reason for wanting it live mapped. Would imagine the local long steep hill in 4th would give a pretty good load if need be  ;)

But where do I look to find someone suitable to take on the job?  :-? Don't want any ol' monkey doing it lol, my mate had his scooby done the other week, (on the same Sunday as someone else on here, ironically) but apparently he was like 'nah mate I only do scoobies' ::)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2011, 18:18:43 »

Andy Forest did mine who also only does Scoobs.

You must be on a Cavalier forum where someone has had it done... Can they not give you any advise? Other than that email Andy Forest and ask him I would imagine he would no someone.
 :y

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2011, 18:48:24 »

Andy Forest did mine who also only does Scoobs.

You must be on a Cavalier forum where someone has had it done... Can they not give you any advise? Other than that email Andy Forest and ask him I would imagine he would no someone.
 :y

Yes mate I'm on CTOC, tbh I don't think it a norm combination on a cav but anyways, that enquiry got as far as recommending the usual rolling road equipped tuners.. Although I will dig the thread back up and ask again, was a few weeks ago now. I think my best bet might be to sign up on a jap car forum, and ask there.. I mean, surely all the same thoeries would apply with regard to fuel ratios, boost, anything else etc, wouldn't have thought it'd make much difference, other than where the operator would attach headphones. This Greddy unit was 2nd hand off a pulsar if that counts lol so its the same unit, with the same element of control, regardless what car it's in??

Is he easy to find an email address for? I would imagine a quick google search- I'll send him an email see what he can suggest  :y good shout!

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2011, 18:51:24 »

This the one??

Www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk

Website anyway...

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2011, 19:03:57 »

That is his website mate yes, what his email is I dont know as another guy arranged him to come down here.
Type his name in you tube for proof of his workmanship   :y

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2011, 19:10:50 »

That is his website mate yes, what his email is I dont know as another guy arranged him to come down here.
Type his name in you tube for    :y

No need lol I've heard the name before, plus I'm sold by the online sales pitch! ;D lol

Email sent  :y

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2011, 19:14:41 »

I am rather interested in your outcome to be honest, please keep me posted.
If that fails I have a place near me called GT Motorsport I think its called who do all that kind of thing or so I am told.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :y
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 19:16:52 by Loo-knee »

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2011, 19:23:24 »

Ay I'll let ya know when I get a result lol, I nearly got it done at TDI a while ago, but after they set it all up on the hub dyno, (must have been sat there 45 mins) they then realised they should ask me if I had the software disk!!!! I didn't!!! And they wouldn't download the latest version and try that  :( so hence I still need it mapping...

Will keep ya posted  :y

kingycos2

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2011, 20:07:36 »

Take yourself up to Blackpool for the day, visit Stu at Motorsport Developments (MSD). He is renowned as possibly one of the best, if not the best at live mapping and tunning. I've had 3 Saab aero's and my sierra Cosworth goes there every year to be done, the results are amazing and he is very highly talked about on the RS/passionford sites. I don't trust anyone else with any turbo powered car I've had, my sapphire has done 130,000 and it drives like 40,000, IMO its down to their ability to maintain cars like that, I also took my cavalier turbo there about 6 years ago, which i sold shortly after.

aaronjb

« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2011, 20:32:43 »

;)

You don't need VMax in top gear no - but you do need to cover all of the peak load cells (at least the ones it's possible to get to) in the map, otherwise it'd be possible (though unlikely) to drive 'off the map' - whether or not you can do that in lower gears depends very much on how tuned the car is..

I can do it in the MR2 in 3rd, but it flies through the map so fast that the software can't log fast enough (12 samples per second, so quite slow - I imagine a Link/MoTeC setup would have better resolution) so I have to use 4th gear.. which means you're going pretty damned fast by the time you've logged 7200rpm :D

Must admit I was severely disadvantaged doing mind - I was driver and mapper at the same time.. lots of logging, parking, adjusting map, logging, parking, repeat ad infinitum ;)

Better to do it as a team of course - one driving, one listening to a pair of det cans & mapping..

Though I still think a brake dyno is better - if nothing else, you're less likely to lose your license doing it  ;D

(Andy is one of 'the' names in mapping though, so I have no reason to doubt he hit all the required parts of your map & so on.. although whatever ECU it is must log very fast to be doing it in a gear that only hits 80mph!)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2011, 22:27:04 »

Well, my Westfield has never seen a rolling road. Started off up the road with no map at all and within 30 miles on the road I had it running pretty much perfectly.

Mapping on a rolling road has advantages in that you can hold high speed/load combinations until the engine melts, but mapping on the road gives you the transients that happen in real driving that you can't reproduce easily on the rollers and yes, the engine operating conditions will always be slightly different. That should be compensated by intake air and coolant temperature sensors but, IME, you're often mapping out deficiencies in these too.

IMHO, you can't map a car on the rolling road without at least driving it a few miles to check if it's a dog to drive and iron out the little flat spots and hesitancies. Vice versa, you aren't going to wring every last few horsepower out of it without a rolling road, especially where it comes to tweaking the ignition map where the changes are subtle and difficult to detect with a seat-of-pants dyno. ;)

Having said that, I could have spent a couple of hundred quid getting mine setup and would have been none the wiser as to how it was done. As it is, I spent that money on building a wideband lambda controller and I'm now equipped to tweak it whenever required, and have gained an awful lot of knowledge doing so. Depends whether your desire is for a turn-key working car or to learn and do it yourself.

A wideband lambda sensor is totally essential if you're contemplating this, one you trust to tell you the truth, too, especially with forced induction because it's so easy wreck an engine if it goes lean.

I find you can get the basic map dialled in by watching the lambda sensor and tweaking the map on the fly (helps if someone else is driving, but I didn't have that luxury :-X). More detailed tuning is best done by processing a data log that includes varied driving. I had a script that processed a datalog into a percentage error for each cell of the map, and then applied it. A couple of iterations of that and you've basically got a car that's indistinguishable from one that's had a half day on the rolling road.

It doesn't really matter if you can't hold it at peak RPM at WOT with this method. As long as you've done it for long enough for the lambda sensor to settle you have the information you need in the log.

I'm not familiar with your engine management. Most of my experience is with the various incarnations of Megasquirt.

Whilst they are all basically the same, one thing you need to be able to do is find your way around the mapping software to make real-time adjustments, so, if you can, find someone who's familiar with your system.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2011, 22:32:15 »

(helps if someone else is driving, but I didn't have that luxury :-X).

That sounds familiar. Don't worry, Kevin, next time you want to tweak the map in the Westfield ... I'll drive! ;)

(Actually the first run out in the MR2 with the turbo fitted saw a friend of mine driving - it's very hard to map when you're pinned against the door flying around a roundabout while he 'keeps up' with an Evo VI  :-X )

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2011, 09:21:02 »

(helps if someone else is driving, but I didn't have that luxury :-X).

That sounds familiar. Don't worry, Kevin, next time you want to tweak the map in the Westfield ... I'll drive! ;)

(Actually the first run out in the MR2 with the turbo fitted saw a friend of mine driving - it's very hard to map when you're pinned against the door flying around a roundabout while he 'keeps up' with an Evo VI  :-X )

Lol sounds a laugh and a half ;)

Ok thanks for ya comments peeps, I have a few people to be trying now so hopefully should get somewhere with it. Also been given a couple of companies to try, A&M conversions and Rs tuning, so hopefully I'll have an interesting update in the next few days...

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2011, 10:37:37 »

Lol sounds a laugh and a half ;)

It's the only time I've ever felt car sick in my own car  ;D Still there have been many hilarious episodes with Mark and I in the same car - like the time he was trying to convince me to go round the roundabout faster, and I bottled it & went up the A1 sliproad instead of back to his house.. All I heard was "Why did you do that!?" - because I thought we were going to crash into the bridge, that's why!  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2011, 10:58:13 »

The only dyno that will allow an engine to be correctly setup is an engine dyno.

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2011, 13:07:29 »

The only dyno that will allow an engine to be correctly setup is an engine dyno.

Fair point, but if I was going to be chasing horses with such degree of precision, I'd be running standalone management and distributorless ignition  :D

Think a simpler method without calling in the engine removal faries will suffice  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2011, 13:48:49 »

;)

You don't need VMax in top gear no - but you do need to cover all of the peak load cells (at least the ones it's possible to get to) in the map, otherwise it'd be possible (though unlikely) to drive 'off the map' - whether or not you can do that in lower gears depends very much on how tuned the car is..

I can do it in the MR2 in 3rd, but it flies through the map so fast that the software can't log fast enough (12 samples per second, so quite slow - I imagine a Link/MoTeC setup would have better resolution) so I have to use 4th gear.. which means you're going pretty damned fast by the time you've logged 7200rpm :D

Must admit I was severely disadvantaged doing mind - I was driver and mapper at the same time.. lots of logging, parking, adjusting map, logging, parking, repeat ad infinitum ;)

Better to do it as a team of course - one driving, one listening to a pair of det cans & mapping..

Though I still think a brake dyno is better - if nothing else, you're less likely to lose your license doing it  ;D

(Andy is one of 'the' names in mapping though, so I have no reason to doubt he hit all the required parts of your map & so on.. although whatever ECU it is must log very fast to be doing it in a gear that only hits 80mph!)

I can say you need a faster cpu :D

generally speaking for here, initial custom mapping done on dyno, then final  corrections on the road :-/
« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 13:53:09 by cem_devecioglu »

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2011, 14:35:15 »

Nah - the processor in the ECU is doing far more than 12 calculations per second, and the laptop is capable of much more - but the interface between the two is RS232 at a relatively low speed.. so you can only read so many data points per second (and the ECU insists on pumping out a full frame of data each time of everything it knows about, there's no selective monitoring to have, say, only RPM/load/knock/lambda at a faster rate)..

To be fair it's a pretty inexpensive standalone (Apexi PFC ~£400) compared to the competition (MoTeC, Link XLEM etc) - I think even the newer Megasquirts have eclipsed it in terms of speed, but it's still a default choice for a lot of Japanese cars here, in the US and Japan simply because it's plug-n-play for a huge number of cars (even comes with a default map, usually ripped straight from the stock ECU by Apexi so you can plug in and drive on a stock engine)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2011, 14:45:22 »

Fair point, but if I was going to be chasing horses with such degree of precision, I'd be running standalone management and distributorless ignition  :D

Think a simpler method without calling in the engine removal faries will suffice  :y

Agreed and hence I would say that an on road setup would be close to a rolling road (and to be honest, the results I have seen from rolling roads vary hugely!)

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2011, 15:20:31 »

Agreed and hence I would say that an on road setup would be close to a rolling road (and to be honest, the results I have seen from rolling roads vary hugely!)

All the skill is in the guy mapping, after all, not where it happens :)

Though oddly enough an aquaintance of mine has just had a new engine delivered - 7ltr of Ford V8 built and set up on an engine dyno. Mmmm. Torque.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2011, 16:47:56 »

p

Nah - the processor in the ECU is doing far more than 12 calculations per second, and the laptop is capable of much more - but the interface between the two is RS232 at a relatively low speed.. so you can only read so myany data points per second (and the ECU insists on pumping out a full frame of data each time of everything it knows about, there's no selective monitoring to have, say, only RPM/load/knock/lambda at a faster rate)..

To be fair it's a pretty inexpensive standalone (Apexi PFC ~£400) compared to the competition (MoTeC, Link XLEM etc) - I think even the newer Megasquirts have eclipsed it in terms of speed, but it's still a default choice for a lot of Japanese cars here, in the US and Japan simply because it's plug-n-play for a huge number of cars (even comes with a default map, usually ripped straight from the stock ECU by Apexi so you can plug in and drive on a stock engine)
under normal conditions rs232 can handle more data flow something wrong there..

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 01 September 2011, 17:16:00 »

p

Nah - the processor in the ECU is doing far more than 12 calculations per second, and the laptop is capable of much more - but the interface between the two is RS232 at a relatively low speed.. so you can only read so myany data points per second (and the ECU insists on pumping out a full frame of data each time of everything it knows about, there's no selective monitoring to have, say, only RPM/load/knock/lambda at a faster rate)..

IIRC each 'frame' is somewhere around 512bytes (4096 bits), and the interface is only 38400bps.. ~12 samples per second ;)

Nothing wrong, just a slow interface.. to be fair I'd much rather the ECU spent it's time calculating fuelling than shepherding an RS232 interface ;D

(Did I also mention that the software used to program the ECU is written in Visual Basic? ;) Well, unless you're an Apexi dealer and can read Japanese, then you can use the 'official' software .. but I'm neither ;D)

1/12 sampling is enough to populate the map with logged A/F ratios and knock levels (and injector times, AITs, MAF reading, etc etc) after a couple of WOT pulls through 3rd or 4th gear, though - and it zips through the map pretty fast in 3rd  :D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #28 on: 01 September 2011, 18:46:53 »

p

IIRC each 'frame' is somewhere around 512bytes (4096 bits), and the interface is only 38400bps.. ~12 samples per second ;)

Nothing wrong, just a slow interface.. to be fair I'd much rather the ECU spent it's time calculating fuelling than shepherding an RS232 interface ;D

(Did I also mention that the software used to program the ECU is written in Visual Basic? ;) Well, unless you're an Apexi dealer and can read Japanese, then you can use the 'official' software .. but I'm neither ;D)

1/12 sampling is enough to populate the map with logged A/F ratios and knock levels (and injector times, AITs, MAF reading, etc etc) after a couple of WOT pulls through 3rd or 4th gear, though - and it zips through the map pretty fast in 3rd  :D

rs232 was reaching 115kbps when grandma was virgin ;D

agreed.. ECU is also busy reading from sensors but must admit car manifacturers use the slowest cpu/hardware possible >:( and those ecus cost more than an arm and a leg if you try to buy.. >:(

so imo microsoft must start custom ecu programming bussiness , so we can send viruses to others cars ;D :D
« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 18:50:22 by cem_devecioglu »

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 01 September 2011, 18:53:33 »

I forgot to add as well, the interface on the ECU itself isn't actually RS232, it's some proprietary signalling. You're meant to buy an interface from Apexi, but that's only available to dealers - and AFAIK they only exist in Japan..

So what you have to do is buy a little interface box (a "Datalogit") which does the translation from 'something' into RS232.. That's probably where the bottleneck really lies as it's a very basic circuit inside the box - although it does also give you two analogue-to-digital inputs to hook random things up to.

As I say, it's all built to a price point :) £400 is pretty cheap for a full P&P standalone, and the Datalogit is ~£50 secondhand..

The next project will (if it doesn't end up running a Holley carb ;)) probably be run on Megasquirt purely because I like the homebrew 'tinkering' aspect, and it won't be my only car (the MR2 was my only car when I put the turbo etc on!)..

Or possibly this: http://www.jegs.com/i/DFI/310/77011W/10002/-1
To go with this: http://www.twminduction.com/v8_kits/427_with_filters.html

:D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #30 on: 01 September 2011, 19:42:17 »

I forgot to add as well, the interface on the ECU itself isn't actually RS232, it's some proprietary signalling. You're meant to buy an interface from Apexi, but that's only available to dealers - and AFAIK they only exist in Japan..

So what you have to do is buy a little interface box (a "Datalogit") which does the translation from 'something' into RS232.. That's probably where the bottleneck really lies as it's a very basic circuit inside the box - although it does also give you two analogue-to-digital inputs to hook random things up to.

As I say, it's all built to a price point :) £400 is pretty cheap for a full P&P standalone, and the Datalogit is ~£50 secondhand..

The next project will (if it doesn't end up running a Holley carb ;)) probably be run on Megasquirt purely because I like the homebrew 'tinkering' aspect, and it won't be my only car (the MR2 was my only car when I put the turbo etc on!)..

Or possibly this: http://www.jegs.com/i/DFI/310/77011W/10002/-1
To go with this: http://www.twminduction.com/v8_kits/427_with_filters.html

:D

yep.. this explains the reason..

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 01 September 2011, 19:45:30 »

I'd love to have tried the official software - though from what I can gather it has far less features than the aftermarket.. there's even a program ('CoPilot') for the MR2 & PFC combination that will auto-tune (to a point!) fuel and ignition tables.. very handy when you're one-man tuning :)

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 September 2011, 12:42:58 »

Well.. Not much joy so far; I just got the car back together last week after a head gasket failure  :-/
Now I gotta order a new o2 sensor for the wideband- she's giving lean readings but the petrol may as well be coming neat out the back- the plugs are black as fook!!

Anyways when I get it done I need it mapped before the 11ish of October, so either need to find someone whos up to the job of a live map, or bite the bullet and take it back to TDI, which wouldn't be a bad thing, just more expensive than need be!

So the next update will probably be 'got it done at TDI and it's rapid' so if anyone knows anyone other than andy Forrest, Rs tuning,  GT motorsport or MSD (who didnt even return my email) please suggest ;) don't really need a rolling road as it's getting rr'd anyway in October with the cav turbo guys, i only want it mapping, I would get Rs to do it but can't do it on the day coz they're rammed, and it's a long way to go twice lol

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 September 2011, 13:49:03 »

The latest Megasquirt logs directly to an SD card, so I'm interested in how quick that will log. I've built the ecu. Coming to a car soon when he gets round to building it. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 September 2011, 15:57:15 »

The latest Megasquirt logs directly to an SD card, so I'm interested in how quick that will log. I've built the ecu. Coming to a car soon when he gets round to building it. ;D

U have built an ecu?? Genius.. Fancy a mapping job on a cavalier turbo?? ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 16 September 2011, 01:29:55 »

Well.. Not much joy so far; I just got the car back together last week after a head gasket failure  :-/
Now I gotta order a new o2 sensor for the wideband- she's giving lean readings but the petrol may as well be coming neat out the back- the plugs are black as fook!!

Out of interest, what wideband? If it's an Innovate LM/C-1, did you know the O2 sensor is the same used on most VWAG late model cars? The current gen Golf, for example - about £50 from VW..

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 September 2011, 07:23:26 »

Out of interest, what wideband? If it's an Innovate LM/C-1, did you know the O2 sensor is the same used on most VWAG late model cars? The current gen Golf, for example - about £50 from VW..

It's the innovative wideband (think, I nearly put broadband lol early o'clock  ::) )

I googled Bosch 4.2 LSU o2 and there coming up about £60/£70.

Just need to pull finger from bumhole and order it!! ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 16 September 2011, 12:24:50 »

;D

To be fair it's been a year or more since I had to replace mine - I seem to remember getting it from eBay, mind; genuine Bosch unit for about £48 from a seller in Holland.

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 September 2011, 15:43:38 »

;D

To be fair it's been a year or more since I had to replace mine - I seem to remember getting it from eBay, mind; genuine Bosch unit for about £48 from a seller in Holland.

This ones from 'Riga' wherever the heck that is, EU lol, and I remembered the price wrong it was £52 free postage, but I feel reluctant as one from a UK based ebayer, £68 so I'm like  :-? hmmm it says it's the genuine new article and 99 available but.. I can't figure out if I'm just being paranoid after my last eBay purchase for some Sealey Allen keys turned out to be a mickey mouse poindshop set (refunded, finally!) or if the price difference is too good to be true..

Think I'll chance the return postage and get the cheaper one, so long as the description fits upon arrival lol ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #39 on: 16 September 2011, 16:26:18 »

Riga is the capital of Latvia ;) I hear stuff is cheaper over there, so the price sounds about right to me - worth a punt, anyway, like you say!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 September 2011, 16:35:05 »

Riga is the capital of Latvia ;) I hear stuff is cheaper over there, so the price sounds about right to me - worth a punt, anyway, like you say!

Beer and fags are very cheap. I don't think I actually bought anything else when I was there (for my cousin's stag do). ;)

Oh, I forgot curry. :-*

maracus

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 October 2011, 15:07:14 »

Hey,
Just to summarise for those who are following, I got the car mapped up yesterday...

On a hub dyno courtesy of Torque Developments International in thurruck. I was not having much luck finding someone to do it on the road for me, had a think, and decided it'd best go to tdi, as they know the car from the previous owner. Plus obvious advantages of hub dyno accuracy.

So the outcome was an increase from previous 250bhp / 241 lbft @hubs,(which showed down on the day by 3hp, oooooohhhh!!!!!)...
To a whopping....

255.4 bhp and 263.9 lbft.

Ok so it was only a marginal increase in boost, slight adjustment to the fuelling, hence only a few more ponies, but we maxxed out the range of the airflow meter!!!

I'm chuffed with the torque increase  ;D ;D

It's noticeably quicker which is good enough. I reckon that more can be made further up by messing about with the boost offset on the profec boost controller, so less air gets drawn lower down so the afm can keep up, enabling more boost higher up, but it would be snatchy, violent and horrid to drive I bet. Plus things were on the verge of getting too hot too quickly anyway, due to the restrictive turbo manifold.

But as it is it feels good, must remember it's the best part of 290 at the crank so can't complain!!

The next level now would be standalone, and a different turbo so I could get a tubular on there.

££££££££££££££ :D

I think I'll wait lol
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.