Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sept 2002 Elite 3.2 Engine Tune + G.Box  (Read 1139 times)

Ant - Petrol Blue Thirty Two

• St. Ives, Cornwall
    • 2002 Elite Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
Sept 2002 Elite 3.2 Engine Tune + G.Box
« on: 08 October 2013, 10:42:40 »

Hi to all.  Owned above from Sept. 2007 @ 60K having just been serviced before purchase.  Now done 78K but other than regular oil and filter changes and other service items, have never had plugs changed or any other engine attention.  I wondered if an engine tune would help as the engine doesn't seem as happy at pulling or ticking over at times as it used to.  Sometimes it seems to 'hunt' a little at tick over (rough idle) and at others times you can't tell the engine is running at all - just the sound of the injectors - both situ's at normal op. temp.  Using Shell V power most of time but not exclusively and won't use tesco petrol.  Car is standard as out of factory and engine is perfect in every other way mechanically (I think?) - no smoke, no oil usage or much discolouration etc. and coolant is still bright pink.  Petrol consumption has never been great (urban mainly) but seems a bit worse of late - have run some injector cleaners in the past prior to long runs but not lately - most use is short runs in and out of town, odd longer one.
Also read on here about re-programming the G.box to get better changes and smoother running??  Fluid/filter has just been changed (from original factory fill) with no significant dirt found in the sump or filter and it has smoothed it out but wondered if it could be better??

can anyone advise the best way forward tuning wise (i.e. a competent person or garage) and or whether it is worth it and also about re-programming the G.box.  I live in Bristol/Bath area
thanks in anticipation
Anthony   

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Sept 2002 Elite 3.2 Engine Tune + G.Box
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2013, 10:48:34 »

Welcome  :y

Just to double check you have had the cambelt changed? Should be every 4 years/40k which ever is first.

The 3.2's and 2.6's never have great idle's to be honest, in-fact they are quite poor compared to 3.0's

Mine is better somedays, I find no pattern to it. Gearbox upgrade is very useful, for me it's down changes which become silky smooth, it might be worth a PM to Kevin Wood, he would be the closest OOF member to you who could do it. He is based in Alton Hampshire, so a fair haul that. (but very worth it in my opinion)

Engine tuning wise, not a lot to be done with 3.2, other than fresh plugs, fuel and air filter changes.

Have you cleaned the breathers?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90653.0

That is your best bet for smoothing things out  :y :y
« Last Edit: 08 October 2013, 10:50:15 by tunnie »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2013, 12:53:34 »

As above really but use the twin elecrode plugs,and change the antifrezze if its more than
blue=2 years.
red = 5 years.
 new pollen filter, gearbox oil change.
Hoof'land storeman.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2013, 16:33:32 »

I'm also between Bristol and Bath with a 3.2, considerably higher mileage than yours though. If you fancy a drive of mine as a comparison, I'd be more than happy to pop over to you when we are both free.  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Ant - Petrol Blue Thirty Two

• St. Ives, Cornwall
    • 2002 Elite Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2013, 20:43:59 »

thanks to all for your very sound advice and help - very much appreciated - .......

tunnie - cam belt is on my list next as I think it is 6 years+ but only 18K - I will contact Kevin Wood re gearbox as I think you are right that it is worth it, is that just a program issue or more complicated? - I think also new plugs must be a certainty thanks - breathers? easy or not?? - garage or me? but can tell you that every oil change (6 changes with top quality 5-40 oil in 18K) is pre flushed with a 3 mile gentle drive pre drain - thanks once again

biggriffin - thanks for advice too re plugs  - which make would you recommend??  also thanks for advice re coolant - just had auto box fluid changed - didn't know I had a pollen filter!!

Broomies Mate - thanks for offer and I might take you up on that - will contact you when I've re-plugged and had breathers checked etc- thank you again for your kind offer and  I will come back to you

overall guys - thanks very much for the experience and help  :)

Anthony

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2013, 08:26:15 »

Use genuine GM plugs which are pretty cheap to buy anyway and do the plugs and breathers at the same time as it makes getting to the back plug on the left bank much easier.

Pollen filter is under a flap in the scuttle shroud on the nearside. Takes about 2 mins to change. Shine a light down into the well. It may be full of general cack - had more than an inch of soil in the bottom of mine - as there's a drain grommet at the bottom you need to keep clear.

Use the forum guides to help you with the jobs and first time out give yourself plenty of time. Don't forget to buy new sealing rings for the breather box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2013, 12:47:59 »

tunnie - cam belt is on my list next as I think it is 6 years+ but only 18K - I will contact Kevin Wood re gearbox as I think you are right that it is worth it, is that just a program issue or more complicated? - I think also new plugs must be a certainty thanks - breathers? easy or not?? - garage or me? but can tell you that every oil change (6 changes with top quality 5-40 oil in 18K) is pre flushed with a 3 mile gentle drive pre drain - thanks once again

This must be done ASAP  :y

It's not the belt that snaps, the tensioners fail, which alloys the belt to slip and then you are in a whole word of pain. If waterpump is fine, that can stay, but check the aux belt for cracks. Full timing kit must be used, it's amazing the performance lost if it's just one or two teeth out.

I'd advise one of our mobile mechanics here, Darth Loo Knee, Elite Pete or JamesV6CDX will get it done right  :y

Gearbox programming, yes it's just a program really. Laptop involved, not long  :)

Breathers, have a read of the guide, it's worth getting familiar with Plenum removal, it's straight forward once you get used to it. It's a job to spend your time on and you know its done right  :y

Oil changes good, best action to help prevent crap building up in the breathers. Personally I use GM's 10/40 Semi as its quite cheap on Trade Club, around £45 for 20L (4x5L)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.