Author Topic: WEF  (Read 3497 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: WEF
« Reply #75 on: 15 August 2022, 13:14:14 »

It is important to retain a stock of cash.

Given the widespread concerns of power blackouts this winter, the majority of supermarkets and petrol stations in affected areas would likely close, since EPOS systems and card reader equipment would not work. However, many local shops, would likely continue to sell items for cash. So, if you need any basic items urgently, such as milk, bread or medicines (or even a pint at the pub!), you could likely buy them for cash. Of course, this also applies to internet blackouts alone, as card reader systems usually require a connection to work. Recently, my local chippie's internet went down and they could only accept cash payment.

It should clear that the wholesale reliance on microprocessors and internet connections for commercial transactions leaves any country's security weakened. In the event of either a huge crash of the web or a massive electromagnetic pulse (EMP), citizens could be left entirely unable to purchase any basic necessities without cash.

Keep a stash under the bed!  :y

Yes a good point :y

Indeed, a good point.

The only issue would be that all ATM’s would also be knocked out by any power or system blackouts.  That means you would have to hoard a good amount of cash to cover any lasting outages.

As correctly stated by Migalot, retail systems, such as bar code readers and tills, let alone the computers that are behind those systems will also be dead.  Thus there would nowadays, unlike when I started in retail, be no facility in most retail outlets to handle cash, and the stores would have to close for the duration of the outage. In addition most supplies of stock come via fully electronic control systems, so they would effectively be shut down by the event. Farm shops and on the side of the road outlets could of course still trade and handle cash, but that is about it.

Remember, most retail outlets are now controlled by companies, franchises, or just sole traders using the electronic facilities like everyone else.  That is the big issue with todays IT controlled life, but we have been creating and living with it for decades.  I remember when in the 1980’s our local Safeway supermarket lost it’s power, which led to the management then stepping in and roughly estimating what the person at each checkout had to purchase, then accepting a greatly reduced cash price.  Great for the customer at the till, but everyone else had to drop their baskets and leave the store to close.  Now in those days our outlets could and would readily accept cash without any system restrictions, as we were a bit backward in bringing in full technology, which anyway was in its infancy.

Now that cash option is not open to the vast majority of retailers who rely totally on electronic systems regardless of the weaknesses and risks of doing that.  With the quantities and values of commodities now, let alone, crucially, of the customers requirements for quick payment methods, plus security needs, electronic payments are really the only way to go. 

Us older ones may still use cash, and I personally still hanker for the good old days £. s. d., but like it or not, handling cash is expensive, a higher security risk, and hinders sales which any commercial concern MUST see grow. There are even retailers who will refuse to take large cash payments for , say furniture, white goods, carpets, etc, due to the aforementioned factors.

Cash has had it’s days and is therefore numbered no matter what some of us want. ::)
« Last Edit: 15 August 2022, 13:17:05 by Lizzie Zoom »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 15 August 2022, 13:48:15 »

Yes....we don't want to lose cash.

I usually have about £150 with me.  I know I've got another £1000 or so in the house, but I can't remember where I put it. :-X

It'll come to me. :y
That's odd, only a few posts ago you said that £900 was beyond your wildest dream.  ;)  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 15 August 2022, 13:50:59 »

I usually have about £150 with me.  I know I've got another £1000 or so in the house, but I can't remember where I put it. :-X

That's odd, only a few posts ago you said that £900 was beyond your wildest dream.  ;)  ;D

The poor old boy is getting forgetful.  :-\                                                                         ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 15 August 2022, 13:53:39 »

I don't need to hoard cash, I have a shed full of baked beans and, handily, toilet rolls from lockdown.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 15 August 2022, 14:18:59 »

The poor old boy is getting forgetful.  :-\                                                                         ;D

Mrs Opti has informed me that it isn't all in one place. :-\

She says there is £300 ish under the tray that holds the knives/forks/spoons etc.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 15 August 2022, 14:19:53 »

Cutlery is the word I was looking for... :-X :-[

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 15 August 2022, 14:22:07 »

It was Darzett Tiggers post that made me think..... :D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 15 August 2022, 14:23:36 »

What's the point in 'hiding' it around the house, like some Scroogey old codger? Surely you don't think 'under the cutlery tray' would fool a burglar?  ;D
I have a few bob in my bedside cabinet, just open it up and there it is  ;D
The trick is to stop anyone getting as far as my bedroom, or even past the back gate.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 15 August 2022, 15:20:09 »

I'll simply carry on as I have done for the last 52 years cash for some purchases and card for others, I really can't see what all the drama is about, we've got a safe which is well hidden so any large amounts of cash & valuables are locked away.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2022, 15:23:09 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 15 August 2022, 15:25:37 »

I'll simply carry on as I have done for the last 52 years cash for some purchases and card for others, I really can't see what all the drama is about, we've got a safe which is well hidden so any large amounts of cash & valuables are locked away.

Absolutely right Rangie.  There should be no drama about how we pay for anything.

My concern currently is the cost of everything, with my latest gas & electricity bill for the quarter due on Wednesday!  Now that could be a drama! :o :o ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 15 August 2022, 15:37:50 »

Absolutely right Rangie.  There should be no drama about how we pay for anything.

My concern currently is the cost of everything, with my latest gas & electricity bill for the quarter due on Wednesday!  Now that could be a drama! :o :o ;)

Managed to get ours fixed at a reasonable amount & then I put some cash from an ISA into our energy account so our monthly outlay has gone from £115-£130 per month I'd sooner do that than pay £300 plus per month .

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 15 August 2022, 16:12:59 »

What's the point in 'hiding' it around the house, like some Scroogey old codger? Surely you don't think 'under the cutlery tray' would fool a burglar?  ;D
The trick is to stop anyone getting as far as my bedroom, or even past the back gate.

We don't have people who steal in Lincolnshire. :)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 15 August 2022, 16:25:28 »

That Opti is an absolute lie..😁

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 15 August 2022, 17:29:55 »

Managed to get ours fixed at a reasonable amount & then I put some cash from an ISA into our energy account so our monthly outlay has gone from £115-£130 per month I'd sooner do that than pay £300 plus per month .

That’s a good and sensible move :y :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 15 August 2022, 17:34:18 »

That Opti is an absolute lie..😁

Indeed.  Just see this delightful lot who will have had your cash, and your life, Opti given half the chance, who live or at least operated in and around your county.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2022/01/behind-bars-criminals-locked-up-in-lincolnshire-in-january-2/

I bet there is many others in Lincolnshire like these thugs who are still out there, and reading your posts of fabulous wealth………. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 15 August 2022, 17:37:21 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.