Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPS installed  (Read 761 times)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
UPS installed
« on: 30 November 2022, 13:28:41 »

Given the increasing likelihood of power cuts, I have just installed two UPS units: One for the office computer (I work from home) and one for the downstairs router.

This means that, in the event of an outage, I should get about 10-20 minutes or so to save my work and shut down the PC safely and several hours for the router, so I will still have internet for the phone WiFi.

Job done!  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: UPS installed
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2022, 13:49:10 »

Given the increasing likelihood of power cuts, I have just installed two UPS units: One for the office computer (I work from home) and one for the downstairs router.

This means that, in the event of an outage, I should get about 10-20 minutes or so to save my work and shut down the PC safely and several hours for the router, so I will still have internet for the phone WiFi.

Always assuming your local internet system (BT/Openreach/Whoever) stays up for long enough for your router to be able to connect to something. ::)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2022, 14:58:44 »

Always assuming your local internet system (BT/Openreach/Whoever) stays up for long enough for your router to be able to connect to something. ::)

True, but one can only hope and be prepared. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2022, 15:02:43 »

My prep for blackouts is a bit more old skool.  :)

I cleaned up an old oil lamp and bought a bottle of lamp oil. Light and heat in one go.  :y   :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2022, 16:02:34 »

I have the NOCO 1500 jump start thingy with a very bright LED torch built in, USB output to keep the Mobile Phones active so can order food & chat to people.

Having health issues I have an electric powered chair which I added a UPS unit so I can get out of the chair easily for the loo (Diabetic)

Living in a rural area we suffer the odd power & water outages, so a rest from the TV and time for nap for me. :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2022, 18:24:18 »

Well we can't say we weren't warned.  ::)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2022, 18:47:13 »

Got a few APC rackmount UPS's from various work sites I might keep hold of  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2022, 12:15:51 »

Damn right.  My APC's should last long enough for me to swear at the genny when it wont start ;D

When they were building that new, huge estate in Brakkers 4 or 5 years ago, we were getting several power cuts a week, though most only lasting a few seconds.  But the longer ones certainly gave the genny a good workout!
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2022, 12:18:33 »

Damn right.  My APC's should last long enough for me to swear at the genny when it wont start ;D

When they were building that new, huge estate in Brakkers 4 or 5 years ago, we were getting several power cuts a week, though most only lasting a few seconds.  But the longer ones certainly gave the genny a good workout!
Just long enough for you to have to reset the clocks on the oven, microwave, boiler, etc.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2022, 12:19:39 »

Just long enough for you to have to reset the clocks on the oven, microwave, boiler, etc.
but not the alarm clock if it happened after I'd got into my pit at night....
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2022, 19:10:04 »

My M.I.L. had a power cut last week.. couple of days after some cowboys had been digging up the pavement installing fibre.

They knocked on her door at the time and asked her if her leccy was OK. Dead giveaway that the muppets had messed up.

Anyway, a couple of days later her leccy went out. DNO dug up the pavement and sure enough, her feed had a load of black tape wrapped around it about where the fibre run was, which was now fizzing away. ;D

A few other houses in the cul-de-sac have had issues too. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2022, 21:56:12 »

My M.I.L. had a power cut last week.. couple of days after some cowboys had been digging up the pavement installing fibre.

They knocked on her door at the time and asked her if her leccy was OK. Dead giveaway that the muppets had messed up.

Anyway, a couple of days later her leccy went out. DNO dug up the pavement and sure enough, her feed had a load of black tape wrapped around it about where the fibre run was, which was now fizzing away. ;D

A few other houses in the cul-de-sac have had issues too. ::)
The mess the first contractors made of the first installation here on my estate was so bad that a new lot had to come in to redo a lot of it. Just wonder what will happen if someone actually gets connected to it. If it works, it'll be a miracle.  ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2022, 23:39:05 »

My Mrs has long since predicted the day when
All internet connections . . . stop
All power supply . . . stops (much more than 20 minutes)
All mobile phone connections . . . stop
And she looks forward to saying . . . " I told you so"
She could be right  ::)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.