Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TV - The Future ?  (Read 2018 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: TV - The Future ?
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2014, 14:27:15 »

Depends how its routed, your ability to access the delivery network and the source servers ability.

You can stream that rate pretty reliably if the server set is man enough (or the user count small enough).

As said before, its on demand that gets hard, scheduled sending is a doddle and puts mcuh less starin on the network and servers thanks to the likes of E-tree

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2014, 14:36:16 »

That said, I do hope a lot of mugs punters buy them as, once the panels are nice and cheap, I quite fancy one of them as a computer monitor. :-*

Highly recomended.  ::) :y :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2014, 20:39:59 »

Broadcast TV will largely disappear over the next 10 to 20 years as we all move over to fibre streaming. This is already starting to happen in a big way in the US with cable and satellite subscribers falling and people going direct to the content providers. The NFL and NBL leagues are now streaming direct and this shows where football and other sports are going in the future. This is why Uncle Rupert is rapidly expanding their range and portfolio of programs, to keep them ahead, where it will be directly streamed content that is king and the major income source. All major studios will go this route with only minor studios syndicating to get the volumes.

The TV broadcast market is going to get very interesting and I'm not sure how antiquated things like the BBC TV licence are going to be relevant and fit into this new ecosystem (Although their new iplayer subscription service for archived programs, may be the start of this transformation for them). Like all revolutions, the new, smart and nimble operators that will lead and go with the market flow will make vast fortunes and those that are left behind will disappear. The current TV companies need to be like uncle Rupert embracing the future now and be building their direct streaming systems and payment models. The Internet is going to do to the TV market, what is has already done to the big price box shifting market, book publishing, record industries etc.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2014, 09:24:25 »

Is streaming the TV going over the net structure or does it have a different level to support it as I once heard of www.normal-as-an-example.com and www2.as-the-future-is-the-way-to-go.com,

Over the years as speed has increased from 512kb to 1mb then 2mb adsl etc I have noticed that even loading a google page it has slowed as the net speed and demand have risen.

I now live in a rural village, my internet speed is less than where I moved from but even in the last 4 1/2 years since I moved I have seen the access speed of loading pages dwindle, is this because of the on demand TV services. 

numpty@confused.oof ::) :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2014, 10:07:36 »

The major challenges for on-demand lie at the source rather than the user, as you can imagine, if you have 10,000 user each wanting thier own specfic content at thier specific time you end up with a hell of a lot bandwidth and processing requirement at the source.

For scheduled viewing its easier, there are established features which support a single stream from the source all the way to an edge router where it is then sent down the required subsrcibers cable hence it does not load the core network (hence the 'tree' description).

Page speed is dependent on many things, not least 'the page' and its file size, the server, the loading on the local network etc, many variables.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 January 2014, 12:39:56 »

The major challenges for on-demand lie at the source rather than the user, as you can imagine, if you have 10,000 user each wanting thier own specfic content at thier specific time you end up with a hell of a lot bandwidth and processing requirement at the source.

For scheduled viewing its easier, there are established features which support a single stream from the source all the way to an edge router where it is then sent down the required subsrcibers cable hence it does not load the core network (hence the 'tree' description).

Page speed is dependent on many things, not least 'the page' and its file size, the server, the loading on the local network etc, many variables.

This is not really a problem at present, at least for us Sky use Akamai and they have an extensive networks across the country. So the load is spread out across a geological area, so although it's say 10k of users they will be spread out for demand.

We push one item of content out, it's up to the 3rd party about how they deal with it.

There other complications is that single bit of content, often needs to be transcoded into various versions depending on device. You want once version for iPhones, another for Pads, another for Windows, xBox ect, so quite a lot of work to do there once an item is ingested.

Netflix have gone to cloud based setup with AWS, so they spin up a load of virtual boxes on demand, as their needs are very peaky.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 January 2014, 12:58:49 »

Any on-demand delivery mechanism needs to scale to tens of millions of users quite rapidly if it takes off in a big way, though. Somewhere along that journey the "it's in the cloud, so it's not our problem" strategy will fall over, I reckon. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 January 2014, 13:14:25 »

There other complications is that single bit of content, often needs to be transcoded into various versions depending on device. You want once version for iPhones, another for Pads, another for Windows, xBox ect, so quite a lot of work to do there once an item is ingested.

But again, thats a server based load issue and not something that is network impacting and hence not a blocker to TV over broadband.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 January 2014, 18:47:30 »

Google have had a fibre project in Kansas City for several years as a proving ground for a 1Gbit/s network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fiber
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2014, 09:42:14 »

Google have had a fibre project in Kansas City for several years as a proving ground for a 1Gbit/s network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fiber

They're not the only ones - Singapore has country-wide Gb to the door, it's also easily available in Stockholm I believe and coming soon in Seattle..

All places it's relatively easy to install the infrastructure though - either due to dense population, small areas or masses of existing underground conduits.

Not so easy to string fibre across the whole of the UK..
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.