Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with the 3.2 Elite  (Read 8833 times)

05omegav6

Re: Problem with the 3.2 Elite
« Reply #30 on: 21 July 2013, 04:09:53 »

Mileage isn't an issue with these engines if properly ragged. My 3.2l will flick over 249k next time I use it, sweet as a bitter lemon.
fixed ::)

Didn't know VX made a 3.2 diesel :-X

Even on five cylinders, mine wasn't that rough :-\

When was the exhaust fitted? What work has it had done recently :-\

Surprised that is all the codes though, it does sound like it's missing...

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 July 2013, 04:32:54 »

Mileage isn't an issue with these engines if properly ragged. My 3.2l will flick over 249k next time I use it, sweet as a bitter lemon.
fixed ::)

Didn't know VX made a 3.2 diesel :-X

Even on five cylinders, mine wasn't that rough :-\

When was the exhaust fitted? What work has it had done recently :-\

Surprised that is all the codes though, it does sound like it's missing...

When you say rough do you mean the tappety sounds ? As apart from that it sounds like any Omega V6 I've come accross tbh although listening back on the video it doesn't sound the same as in person with your own ears not exactly anyway, It's been like that since I got it although since I serviced it several weeks ago its been getting better, better when hot also. When revved it sounds level to me (nothing to do with the videos this was after them) sounds like normal when not ideling and on the way home there was no difference in power felt the same till i got home and noticed the unusual idle manner, just when at idle its erratic up and down sort of thing the video didn't pick that up very well, also the interior lights, MID etc, go brighter and dimmer along with the revs which I presume is something to do with that battery light.

Will update on my finding tomorrow afternoon/evening. And I hope it's nothing too serious.

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 21 July 2013, 12:16:56 »

What oil did you use?

I found 5W30 to be a touch on the thin side the first and only time I used it, even with lifter treatment. 10W40 seems to agree with it more :-\

Are the plugs still tight?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 July 2013, 12:23:45 »

What oil did you use?

I found 5W30 to be a touch on the thin side the first and only time I used it, even with lifter treatment. 10W40 seems to agree with it more :-\

Are the plugs still tight?

All Genuine correct GM parts, 10W40 oil and filter. Spark plugs, air filter...

Haven't checked spark plugs are slack or not since fitting though.

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 21 July 2013, 12:28:28 »

Worth double checking from the noise, given a lack of misfire codes :-\ mine sounded a bit like that before it lunched one of the plugs :o Also, are the plugs twin electrode or quads? Might be coincidence, but the plug mine chewed up was a twin one, had no issues with quads :y

The battery light is a different issue altogether...
« Last Edit: 21 July 2013, 12:30:53 by ex taxi al »

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 July 2013, 12:32:00 »

Worth double checking from the noise, given a lack of misfire codes :-\ mine sounded a bit like that before it lunched one of the plugs :o

The battery light is a different issue altogether...

Will do  :y bet that was a sight  :o  :(

Well the battery I bought myself last year a Bosch S5 battery new so can't be that or very unlikely at least.

Wonder if using the AirCon frequently recently has put the final nail in the coffin for the alternator so to speak  :-\

EDIT: Yep got GM quads also.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2013, 12:35:06 by Mr.OmegaMan »

chrisgixer

« Reply #36 on: 21 July 2013, 13:36:02 »

... as Al says,  Just a thought,plugs do work loose. 25nm torque setting. Then go over them again as master says, after the crush washers have relaxed.

But primarily, see what the battery is doing via Kevs guide on battery charging. This will tell you what the alternator is doing, via the battery readings.

Hopefully the charging system is all to cock and spark plugs and possibly 02 sensors(?) are being affected. But the fuel trim code and the lack of a working eml due to pre cat codes, with bulb or otherwise, is quite concerning IMO. Lets hope its not run lean too long.

Runs off to look at the exhaust video again. See if its black or ash grey.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 July 2013, 13:45:14 »

... as Al says,  Just a thought,plugs do work loose. 25nm torque setting. Then go over them again as master says, after the crush washers have relaxed.

But primarily, see what the battery is doing via Kevs guide on battery charging. This will tell you what the alternator is doing, via the battery readings.

Hopefully the charging system is all to cock and spark plugs and possibly 02 sensors(?) are being affected. But the fuel trim code and the lack of a working eml due to pre cat codes, with bulb or otherwise, is quite concerning IMO. Lets hope its not run lean too long.

I've got the full rear view of the car video unedited and I can't see any type of smoke I presume that's some good news at least, But does sound more of a whooshing sound in the video than in real time with your own ears. Compared to other V6 Omega exhaust videos on YouTube mine sounds different most likely the stainless exhaust and being in an open area and the wind was picking up also  :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #38 on: 21 July 2013, 13:49:52 »

I've got the full rear view of the car video unedited and I can't see any type of smoke I presume that's some good news at least, But does sound more of a whooshing sound in the video than in real time with your own ears. Compared to other V6 Omega exhaust videos on YouTube mine sounds different most likely the stainless exhaust and being in an open area and the wind was picking up also  :-\

Yes I thought I heard a whooshing, jet type noise. Blocked exhaust?  Inner tail pipe looks black so rich if anything, going by that.

But first things first. Battery readings. (Or are we on the second thing now? ;) )

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 July 2013, 13:53:10 »

Yes I thought I heard a whooshing, jet type noise. Blocked exhaust?  Inner tail pipe looks black so rich if anything, going by that.

But first things first. Battery readings. (Or are we on the second thing now? ;) )

The pressure or force of the exhaust gasses seems free flowing think i'll leave that for now though  ;)

Aye I better get off here or i'll never get anything done  ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 July 2013, 14:09:35 »

Yes, alternator most likely.
I don't like the sound of it, I cannot gauge how loud it is. If it has suddenly got much louder, it is like I heard once when the cam belt had jumped two teeth.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 July 2013, 18:09:04 »

Checked the battery first with 2 different types of meters and both pointed to a iffy alternator and drained battery (tried 2 different used known good batteries same issue) But suddenly corrected its self for around 10 minutes battery light went out and engine back to normal till i turned pretty much every electric draining feature on the Omega to put a strain on it and the battery light came back on again and ran rough up and down in revs again.

Once the alternator was removed there is a noise present when spinning it. 

Going to get a quote tomorrow to get it reconditioned and get a quote for a replacement from OSP.

Was going to get this but not the same part number and looks different  ??? :-\.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380452340584?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Here's some pictures from today... Hell of a job to get it off was pretty stuck in there.

car's knackered and I'm knackered now  :o ;D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 July 2013, 18:51:52 »

Could someone please confirm that the alternator in the picture is the correct type for the 3.2 Just encase. Thanks  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #43 on: 21 July 2013, 19:10:22 »

They vary car to car depending on build date and original purpose :-\

If the connections match your one then it should be suitable :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #44 on: 21 July 2013, 19:15:04 »

Looks correct, but can't confirm the one I took office is the same, as I only took pics if the new one vx eventually sent me as correct. Which was visually the same but 140amp
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.