Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stalling - 2.0 auto  (Read 1276 times)

JUT

• Barnet
    • View Profile
Stalling - 2.0 auto
« on: 22 November 2006, 15:42:54 »

Afternoon all,

Got a bit of a problem with my GLS - ever since I've bought it the idling has been rough. Not that long ago I took all the intake hoses off and cleaned them up, fitted an oil separator (which incidentally seems to have pretty much entirely solved the issue I had with oil splattering all over the tailgate window) and cleaned out the ICV. Everything was much improved, although not perfect, for a few weeks, but now not only is the idling rough, but the engine is cutting out on overrun. Quite embarrassing being able to stall an automatic with your mates in the car.....

Has the ICV finally had it or should I be looking elsewhere? Checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Stalling - 2.0 auto
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2006, 15:44:28 »

Afternoon all,

Got a bit of a problem with my GLS - ever since I've bought it the idling has been rough. Not that long ago I took all the intake hoses off and cleaned them up, fitted an oil separator (which incidentally seems to have pretty much entirely solved the issue I had with oil splattering all over the tailgate window) and cleaned out the ICV. Everything was much improved, although not perfect, for a few weeks, but now not only is the idling rough, but the engine is cutting out on overrun. Quite embarrassing being able to stall an automatic with your mates in the car.....

Has the ICV finally had it or should I be looking elsewhere? Checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any.
Sounds a bit like ICV, but could also be air leak on intake or stuck egr valve...
Grumpy old man

JUT

• Barnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2006, 15:48:15 »

Speedy reply! Cheers!

Don't think it's a leak - had all the hoses off to clean them up, checked them all over, and made sure they were refitted properly. How do I check EGR valve?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2006, 15:52:55 »

It does sound like a possible failing EGR valve, its worth removing it and trying to give it a good clean....or blank it off altogether.

JUT

• Barnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2006, 16:03:30 »

Can you do that without screwing up how it runs? I know on some other cars if you remove the EGR altogether it not only has implications for emissions, but the ECU can throw a strop and bugger up how the car runs.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2006, 16:05:44 »

EGR needs to be kept in place to stop ECU complaining, but block off the port. Some recommens a piece of coke can between the gasket and the valve, some prefer some kind of sealant in the pipe....
Grumpy old man

JUT

• Barnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2006, 16:08:32 »

Ah, I see... very Blue Peter!  :y  Toolbox to the ready...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.