Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown cover  (Read 6367 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown cover
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2023, 13:20:52 »

I'm tempted but who do they use?

Local companies

That doesn't sound great especially if the owner of the local repair facility is away on holiday or down the pub.

there'll be more than 1 local comapany  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2023, 13:30:10 »

A few things to consider:

If you're expecting a man to turn up with a van full of tools and the time to spend working on the fault, join the AA or RAC. Just don't expect that service after about 19:00 hours, because then you'll get the same contractors every other service uses.

Those contractors vary in ability. They're not paid very much, they're probably not as local as you think, margins are so tight they squeak and you are not their customer. Draw your own conclusions.

Those contractors work for most of the services, at the same time. They might have people sitting around waiting for work when your job comes in. They're much more likely to have several jobs lined up for each driver.

The bigger, older service providers that everyone has heard of do still care about their reputations, and at least try to give good service. The newer, smaller ones are a real crapshoot. Some them are oppsing useless - one I did work for was so bad that I never had a job that they didn't cause problems from the moment they sent us the job to reluctantly paying the invoice.

If your vehicle is covered by the manufacturer's warranty, then most jobs are going to be a simple return to whatever dealer is nearest. The contractor who collects your car has nothing to do with the courtesy replacement. Actually, that's not quite accurate; the courtesy replacement procedure often doesn't start until your car is removed!

Don't expect a single recovery of more than a couple of hundred miles. There are excellent reasons, both for you and the workers, why this is the case.

I've been an AA customer(and member before the sell-off) since I was 18, and have never had bad service apart from their renewal policy. If I was going to choose another provider it would be National Breakdown, but that's based on experiences from several years ago.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 November 2023, 13:33:47 »

Local companies

Not for about 15 years! - South London, Kent, Surrey and most of Sussex are all done by a company based in Croydon. The south coast is covered by another from Brighton.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2023, 13:35:15 »

Been with Autoaid for years and found them pretty good when Ive needed them. Seen some recommendations recently for Autonational and 2gether who I had never heard of before.

If I told you what I think of those, the swear filter would melt and TB would need new computers ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 November 2023, 13:36:21 »

Local companies

That doesn't sound great especially if the owner of the local repair facility is away on holiday or down the pub.

there'll be more than 1 local comapany  ::)

No, but they used to use an accurate definition of local

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 November 2023, 13:38:32 »

Local companies

Not for about 15 years! - South London, Kent, Surrey and most of Sussex are all done by a company based in Croydon. The south coast is covered by another from Brighton.

I've had a local recovery place turn up to me within the past 15 yrs  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 November 2023, 14:49:03 »

Renewal is due soon, and the AA are taking the piss, rather predictably.  And I point blank refuse to use RAC, given the last 3 times I've called them in the last 30 years.

What are you boys and girls using?

These little shits are asking me to renew on the 29/11.

They wouldn't even pick the phone up when I needed them last year, so they can go f*uck themselves.

Finally managed to speak with an 'actual person' at the RAC based in India (or similar)

Explained that I was not happy with their service, or lack of it.

They have offered.....

15 months for the price of 12 complete with Roadside Rescue.....Recovery...At Home.....Onward Travel for the duration.

Cost  £77.

Seems good value if they CBA to answer the phone and turn up.

I will consider their offer as renewal is 29/11.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 November 2023, 15:38:10 »

Green flag, £78 per year
Is that for a single person and or car, or joint, or multiple cars?

My concern with Green Flag is what Nick W used to say when he was a recovery man....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 November 2023, 15:52:18 »

The bigger, older service providers that everyone has heard of do still care about their reputations, and at least try to give good service.
The RAC clearly don't.  Last time it took them 7hrs to turn up to tell me what I needed to know, then left me on the side of a dark road for 6 hours without a car, and would happily of left me there all night.

Hence currently with the AA. But the cost has risen from under £90 (joint personal cover) to well over £150. Which is getting a bit silly.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 November 2023, 16:25:44 »

The bigger, older service providers that everyone has heard of do still care about their reputations, and at least try to give good service.
The RAC clearly don't.  Last time it took them 7hrs to turn up to tell me what I needed to know, then left me on the side of a dark road for 6 hours without a car, and would happily of left me there all night.

Hence currently with the AA. But the cost has risen from under £90 (joint personal cover) to well over £150. Which is getting a bit silly.

I didn't say the RAC succeed!

The truth about what you pay is that it's about a third of what it ought to be. Which is one of the reasons why the actual service you receive has got consistently and progressively worse over the last 25 years.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 November 2023, 17:15:47 »

Green flag, £78 per year
Is that for a single person and or car, or joint, or multiple cars?

My concern with Green Flag is what Nick W used to say when he was a recovery man....
Single car.
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 November 2023, 17:18:58 »

My neighbour has just had his Class 7 LWB Transit recovered from Ilfracombe (208 miles) in one hit by Britannia. He paid thirty odd quid for recovery as part of his LV vehicle insurance. I’ve no idea what it would be separately or for multi-car but my neighbour was impressed with the service and couldn’t praise them enough.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 November 2023, 17:20:00 »

Been with Autoaid for years and found them pretty good when Ive needed them. Seen some recommendations recently for Autonational and 2gether who I had never heard of before.

If I told you what I think of those, the swear filter would melt and TB would need new computers ::)

I can only speak from experience with Autoaid. Used them four times. They send out local recovery to take me home which is just what I want.
Shortest wait was 20 minutes. Longest approx. 100 minutes.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 November 2023, 18:18:25 »

Don't expect a single recovery of more than a couple of hundred miles. There are excellent reasons, both for you and the workers, why this is the case.

One of my kit car mates broke down in Glencoe once. IIRC, he was with the RAC who sent a local company out. They loaded his car up and drove back to his home in Egham in one hit whereby he gave the driver a cup of tea and he headed back off up to Scotland! :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 November 2023, 18:48:33 »

One of my kit car mates broke down in Glencoe once. IIRC, he was with the RAC who sent a local company out. They loaded his car up and drove back to his home in Egham in one hit whereby he gave the driver a cup of tea and he headed back off up to Scotland! :-X

That sort of thing was why the AA & RAC used to farm out long recoveries to contractors, who used the recovery tacho exemption to do them. Their own drivers stayed within the rules for some reason ::) 

The furthest I went was Wallasey, starting at what should have been the end of my day. Dropped her of about 30minutes into my birthday.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.