Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why... Just why?  (Read 1752 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Why... Just why?
« on: 13 March 2016, 22:06:32 »

Just left the laptop alone for a bit there, came back and now it's configuring update for windows 10 !?!? Which I never gave the go ahead to! Last time window 10 was installed my computer just died wouldn't turn back on lost 30% of my stuff, had to take the hard drive out to salvage what I could. Then factory reset it back to win7... Honestly you couldn't make this *^#%[>€ up.. No idea what to do now. But i'll make sure I backup everything I want to keep if it ever comes back on. See how it goes but no doubt it'll end in tears again. What's the point of them forcing win10 on my 4+ year old laptop.  >:(

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Why... Just why?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2016, 22:46:06 »

Once you get Win7 back, download and run GWX Control Panel from http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Configure "Windows Updates"  to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Run GWX Control panel before and after EVERY update.

And when doing Windows Updates, check and double check that you do NOT install KB3035583. Be careful, because even if you hide KB3035583, it can magically re-appear.

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2016, 09:21:38 »

OSX/Linux/DesktopBSD. Job jobbed.. (or, most likely, you'll learn to love Windows again! ;D)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2016, 09:34:10 »

Once you get Win7 back, download and run GWX Control Panel from http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Configure "Windows Updates"  to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Run GWX Control panel before and after EVERY update.

And when doing Windows Updates, check and double check that you do NOT install KB3035583. Be careful, because even if you hide KB3035583, it can magically re-appear.
Or use the MS built in tools to stop it...  ...far more preferable than 3rd party hacks...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2016, 09:38:41 »

OSX/Linux/DesktopBSD. Job jobbed.. (or, most likely, you'll learn to love Windows again! ;D)
Ignoring the Apple stuff for a minute, Linux and BSD are still nowhere near ready for the masses as a desktop yet :(.

Leaving the choice of a Mac or a PC running Windows.

(and Linux updates are a PITA, even with the yum/apt wrappers)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2016, 09:42:14 »

Just left the laptop alone for a bit there, came back and now it's configuring update for windows 10 !?!? Which I never gave the go ahead to! Last time window 10 was installed my computer just died wouldn't turn back on lost 30% of my stuff, had to take the hard drive out to salvage what I could. Then factory reset it back to win7... Honestly you couldn't make this *^#%[>€ up.. No idea what to do now. But i'll make sure I backup everything I want to keep if it ever comes back on. See how it goes but no doubt it'll end in tears again. What's the point of them forcing win10 on my 4+ year old laptop.  >:(
Sympathy is low here ;D. MS have been saying this for several months, and every online "magazine" (with their usual poor journalism) warning about it. MS have said how to stop it.

For what its worth, Win10 runs fine great on my day to day home laptop from circa 2007.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2016, 09:45:59 »

I'm getting bored with the constant bullying to upgrade to 10. I'll do it when they have finished stabilising it!!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2016, 09:55:03 »

I'm getting bored with the constant bullying to upgrade to 10.
There are some policies you can apply to tell it to FO

I'll do it when they have finished stabilising it!!
What issues are you having. Only 2 issues I've had on my machines are:

HP 6720s laptop (8yrs old, my day to day laptop) - wifi could occasionally see wifi, but couldn't connect to any. No Win10 driver available from Intel. Disabled adapter's power management, all good now.
Dell 9200 (8yrs old, my day to day desktop) - the shitty ATI Radeon 1500 card isn't supported by ATI, thus only gets MS Basic driver, thus no dual screen. Therefore it now runs Win7 again. Though I am told the Win8 driver works, so might try again.

My other machines are much, much newer, and have suffered no (OS related) glitches.

I'll admit my Netbook is slow running it...  ...but then it was slow running Win7 as well ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2016, 09:56:07 »

Oh, and the UP arrow on my laptop no longer works, though 100% certain that might be a hardware fault, as its right where the fist tends to land, and the keyboard is noticibly bent
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2016, 09:56:37 »

I'm getting bored with the constant bullying to upgrade to 10. I'll do it when they have finished stabilising it!!

So .. never? ;D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2016, 16:34:34 »

Well it finished installing win10 and everything I can think of is where it is, backed up the one or two things I hadn't backed up from last week. So it's just a waiting game now to see how win10 behaves.

It does seem like it's smoother running than last time round, Will see how it goes for now. I'd restore it back to win7 but I actually need to use the thing so it's just going to have to do its job without messing about. If it does act up again it may well be flying out the window.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2016, 18:25:32 »

Cheers Mr Omegaman, you've prompted me to finally re-attempt Win10 on my ancient desktop. More successful this time by using a Win8 driver for the hopeless ATI card :y

All working well this time...   ...and to think I was looking at replacing it as Win7 runs out in 2020...  ...reckon I can keep it going beyond that? ;D. Like my ancient laptop, and as I said at the time I bought them, PCs are generally fast enough nowadays (unless you buy shite), so I guess it'll be hardware failures that kill them, rather than out of date.
Grumpy old man

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2016, 22:15:33 »

Iv had Win10 installed on my Acer Extensa 5235 since it 'told' me I needed to install it... Not had any glitches or problems since installing it :)

It does seem to be a lot happier with machines that have a lot of RAM installed though....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2016, 09:42:18 »

It does seem to be a lot happier with machines that have a lot of RAM installed though....
2Gb more than enough for 32bit. Fine in 64bit, although 64bit doesn't make sense* with less than about 6Gb (and applications than cane use it).

None of my PCs have more than 2Gb....

* Unless you are in sales
Grumpy old man

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2016, 17:42:01 »

My toshiba laptop in question has a 64bit , i7 , 8gb ram and 750gb hard drive. So far it's behaving on Win10 but have made a backup just incase it goes haywire again.

Touch wood.

Seen a few people mention that Windows has magically installed Win10 on their system while having tea, watching tv or something.. To then find its installing Win10 over the past week especially.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.