Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 8834 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please
« Reply #75 on: 20 February 2021, 14:14:44 »

No a mate had one & was very dissatisfied with it, I saw one a few months back in the Caravan & Motorhome club mag based on a Ford Transit very nice layout & with everything I'd want as the driver auto, cruise reversing cameras etc started I think at £68,000 had a very good report , but would have to see it & try it but ultimately it will be up to SWMBO will have a good look once restrictions are lifted , never had a good look at one really may decide against it & just get a new tin tent , certainly not going to rush into a purchase the way things are with travelling at present.

If you are used to slumming it in a Pikey Wagon, you probably won't like the switch to a Pikey Wagon with a steering wheel.  If you do decide it's for you, then factor in 3/4k on a Smart, IQ, C1 that you can drag behind it, so when you do eventually stop pissing motorists off and pull into a Camp Site, you can go and get Fish & Chips, visit the beach without having to pack EVERYTHING away.

A proper Camper Van without a small car is just a pain IMO

We have discussed that already quite fancy a small  Toyota as a runabout, but for £35,000 could get a nice twin axle van , just got to have a good look.

Thing is with a camper van/small car set up is that you have to tax and insure two extra vehicles.  ;)

I'd go for a nice big twin axle pikey wagon, and tell SWMBO that you need to upgrade the Range Rover to tow it!  ::) 

A nice full fat 5.0V8 L405 should do the trick Mick!  :y   ;D

Got to admit that I love our twin axle Eldiss & looks a treat on the Range Rover & I would like to swap it for a new one personally I think a motorhome might be a bit cramped after the space we have but she wants to have a look so I'll humour her, like the idea of a 5.0 RR 😁

We are ion a similar dilema. been used to the space our twin axle Sterling, would like a camper instead but it would have to be huge to have the space we have now :-X
I think its well known that I detest caravans even more than the last Top Gear trio, but is the lesser of 2 evils compared to camper wagons.

• Both clog up the roads, so a draw.
  • Both give horrific economy, so a draw.
  • Campervan is a pain to pack up, when you need to nip to the local shops because you run out of milk, win for van.
  • Camper won't get in many tourist and town centre carparks due to anti-pikey devices like height limits, win for van.
  • Van tends to be more roomy, and awning feasible if not having to put it away 3 or 4 times a day, win for van.
  • Van has lower running costs, as the car will be used and serviced anyway throughout the year, win for van.
  • Camper will be stood unused for months on end, which we know kills vehicles, win for van.
  • When on hols, and pitched up, van has a comfortable, usable car that doesn't piss off other motorists, win for van.

So its all a no brainer.

Obviously, both should be banned, and if you want to camp, do it properly, with a tent :)
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 20 February 2021, 14:44:37 »

Each to his own TB & certainly not worth getting into a debate about have had everything from tents upwards it's whatever makes you happy 😁😁😁
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

holcomser

• SUTTON COLDFIELD
    • Focus
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 20 February 2021, 16:26:08 »

Thanks for all the advice, pos and neg, and its great to know that there are so many wise and dedicated owners out there. All being well I will find a good one and if I do meet any problems will thankfully ask opinions on here.

Much appreciation to all on here.

Chris

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 20 February 2021, 17:16:48 »

It's pity realy but the seemingly good v6's don't pop up as much as the 4 cylinder ones .take for example the excellent ( maybee) early 2 litre on eBay at the moment. If you don't want the sound and power of the v6 and can put up with a 2 litre only then you will still get the excellent ride but without some of the v6 issues ? ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 20 February 2021, 17:21:59 »

The 16v four pot is ok. It's quite rev happy, so presses on, especially with the manual box.

Obviously it lacks the grunt and smoothness of the V6 but it gets the job done :y

The 8v is best avoided... It's not upto hauling the Omega around.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 20 February 2021, 17:33:25 »

The 16v four pot is ok. It's quite rev happy, so presses on, especially with the manual box.

Obviously it lacks the grunt and smoothness of the V6 but it gets the job done :y

The 8v is best avoided... It's not upto hauling the Omega around.
I think the 2l is a shade underpowered (talking about the 16v ones, the 8v are thankfully as rare as they are hopeless), the 2.2 is just about "good enough" in manual trim, but seems unsuited to an autobox*.

I seemed to recall many journeys of fun** raging the nads off tunnies old 2.2 ;D

*The one exception was auto addicts 2.2 auto that for some reason went like a scalded cat (relatively speaking), by far the best 2.2 Omega I've ever driven.

**In that "I mustn't slow down for corners, as it takes too long to get back up to ramming speed" mentality.  Which was always "interesting", given Tunnie's love for that American style of worn out, knackered, detached suspension.
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 20 February 2021, 17:36:12 »

I suppose it depends how much heavier the omega is compared to the Carlton. That 8v engine was powerful enough in that model and certainly simpler to work on

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 20 February 2021, 17:56:33 »

The Desmond saloon is just shy of 1,600 kgs ;)

A 2.0 8v with a slush box would make Joe Biden seem spritely ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 20 February 2021, 18:14:19 »

If memory serves, the X20SE was 115BHP, which doesn't sound too terrible, but only 130lb-ft torque.

I think the 16V added another 20BHP, but only 10lb-ft more.

Compare that to the 3.0 V6 (X30XE) and you can add another +100 to each value.

I don't think anyone can say the V6 Omega was a 'quick' car..... but what it did have was effortless power.  I've only ever had Auto's (which is the best transmission choice for any lazy car) and the 'lazy' power was utterly brilliant.  A steady cruise at 70, give the pedal a small nudge and you'd be doing 90 in no time at all.....
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 20 February 2021, 18:16:00 »

Ignore the above.  The 3.0 only had 200lb-ft, not what I previously thought was 230lb-ft.  :-[

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 20 February 2021, 18:23:46 »

Obviously, both should be banned, and if you want to camp, do it properly, with a tent :)

Tent in summer, hotel in winter. Job done. No need to haul a tupperware airbrake behind you. :y

All academic at the moment anyway. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 20 February 2021, 19:14:18 »

Tent in summer, hotel in winter. Job done. No need to haul a tupperware airbrake behind you. :y

All academic at the moment anyway. ::)
I imagine the value of any stay-cation stuff will increase a lot come the summer .
caravans, tents, motor homes ,
pity all the roads will be jammed up  :(
 all the caravan and campsites will be rammed full too
nice little earner for farmers with empty fields i recon  :P

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 20 February 2021, 20:54:28 »

No insurance, no facilities...... Better off just wild-camping....... ok, the field might not be empty, but it's much more fun.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 20 February 2021, 21:33:27 »

No insurance, no facilities...... Better off just wild-camping....... ok, the field might not be empty, but it's much more fun.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
A farmer will still be along to get money off you or shoot you , or both   ::)
especially if the field has fresh, four legged , sirloin steaks walking around  :P
pass the mustard

as for "No insurance, no facilities" ,do you think a farmer , or someone pretending to be the farmer, will care when you hand the money over  :-\ 

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 21 February 2021, 13:35:55 »

Havnt got a Carlton book at hand to compare weights but the 2.0 auto was still OK in one of those. Not driven an omega with one !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.