Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unwell Corsa  (Read 1227 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Unwell Corsa
« on: 16 May 2007, 20:10:24 »

Can someone "agree" with me..... :o

Mates girlfriend was meant to pick him up here at work but she has broken down on the motorway in a corsa.

By phone we are advised.

It wont start
Its got no coolant
Oil now seems low.
It cut out and wont even crank now.
Had a burning from the fan belt.

Sounds like belt failure to me ..... :-/

MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Unwell Corsa
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2007, 20:20:39 »

Unwell and Corsa in the same sentence?  ;D

I was always unwell when driving a corsa....

Is it cranking freely? guess if its just the starter motor going and no cranking sounds like the belt....

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2007, 20:24:12 »

no oil + no water + motorway = siezed me thinks.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2007, 22:17:21 »

exactly - i typed in a rush earlier...its not simply cooked as it would start......its not battery related as all electrics are performing fine and at normal speed.....

I originally thought timing belt failure but now i suspect the burning fan belt is a red herring of course and the smell may be burning oil not rubber.

I feel for the guy - he is just a young kid and its a 53 plate. His girlfriend is heavily pregnant and a large bill for a car will be the last thing he needs.... :(

Its being recovered from the motorway and ive told him to do nothing garage wise till i see it.

Oh did i mention it had a masterfit service a fortnght ago  >:( more to come on that one.....
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 22:18:03 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2007, 22:20:13 »

exactly - i typed in a rush earlier...its not simply cooked as it would start......its not battery related as all electrics are performing fine and at normal speed.....

I originally thought timing belt failure but now i suspect the burning fan belt is a red herring of course and the smell may be burning oil not rubber.

I feel for the guy - he is just a young kid and its a 53 plate. His girlfriend is heavily pregnant and a large bill for a car will be the last thing he needs.... :(

Its being recovered from the motorway and ive told him to do nothing garage wise till i see it.

Oh did i mention it had a masterfit service a fortnght ago  >:( more to come on that one.....

53 plate?  :o

Ouch! - I was imaging a clapped out M reg one... (dunno why)

Bought via networkQ? any chance of warrenty? Odd for a 53 plate to seize unless its been really abused.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2007, 22:23:09 »

53 plate?  :o

Ouch! - I was imaging a clapped out M reg one... (dunno why)

Bought via networkQ? any chance of warrenty? Odd for a 53 plate to seize unless its been really abused.
Or at the service they didn't tighten something properly...
Grumpy old man

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2007, 22:49:34 »

Think they are chain, not belt

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2007, 23:40:55 »

Think they are chain, not belt

then it really is looking like siezed engine then....

nemesis_v6

• tiverton devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2007, 03:05:39 »

get it check by diffrent garege then take it back to masterfit if there it fault and they sould have no way to get out of not doing repares

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2007, 11:59:42 »

Okay...i am getting this information 4th hand.

Clearly the engine is roasted. Recovery advise camshaft failure / damage.

I havent yet seen the car .....but he has been quoted %570 all incllusive for a new engine.

Im thinking it wont need a full new engine.....unless its totally drained of oil with a huge gaping hole in it the bottom end should be fine...

Any thoughts ?

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2007, 12:22:16 »

ERM YES!!!!!! It had a masterfit service very recently. They left the sump plug off or didn't do it up or forgot to put oil in.

Used engine for this about £250. 4 hour job to change.

Camshaft failure? not unless it was bone dry.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2007, 12:56:40 »

...I have still to estabilish some of the facts....its not ideal trying to give someone some help when they know nothing about cars.....( he refers to the expansion tank as that wee thing you put water in)

He has been advised that the £570 will include a gasket change and it needs a new engineas it will be bent  ::)

To me that sounds like a head gasket change and potential skimming of head rather than replace. £100 Quid

Theres obviously more damage though than that when it wont even crank..

...if only i didnt have to run this bleeding office i would do it for him....hoist the engine out fire the new one in..
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 12:58:01 by Markiec »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2007, 12:58:42 »

oh and its in a different place from the garage that "fixed" it - dont think he has the 'dangle berries' to go and challenge them.... :-X
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 12:59:03 by Markiec »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.