Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer storage question  (Read 2629 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Computer storage question
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2007, 23:09:40 »

Yup, hear what you say as regards DVD backups and double copies....

In case anyone was wondering what Hotel21 is on about...

I briefly posted a reply, then decided I wanted to modify it so took it off, but was distracted by a phone call from a friend on the other side of the world who was insomniac and had problems with his anti virus..... I guess Hotel21 managed to read the post just before it was removed, so for the benefit of everyone else here it is again:

The main problem with all low-cost storage solution, e.g. NAS, external USB drives etc, is backup… you get 500gb or 1tb very cheap, pour tons of stuff into it, with no quick way of backing it up… a DVD currently takes only up to 8.5gb max, but you need to be disciplined and use it to back up. You could also get another dive and back everything to it, this is OK, but for technical reasons less than ideal – tape backup is best option but may not be practical for home users, so DVD backup (2 copies, please) is the way to go.

Thanks for that Markjay - hope the post count bounces back soon - but will astute use of ghost or similar software resolve the issue of backups and overwriting?  Can you configure this backup software to simply overwrite what is already there on an incremental basis, i.e copy and make available information or mirrors of the donor drives on a timescale as to be defined?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2007, 23:30:07 »

Firstly, you can either use an external USB drive which are relatively low-cost, and then share the external drive over the network - this is not ideal for several reason plus you can only use the external drive when the PC it is connected to is actually switched on - but it is cheap and it does work.

Then you could go for NAS device, which is more expensive but connects directly to the network so always accessible and not dependant on any specific PC being switched-on. Some NAS devices are wired-only while others have WiFi.

If you have Windows XP, you can use Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image to ghost the hard disk to the NAS device. Drive Image works better than Norton in my opinion, and runs as a Windows application in the background. The back-up images are compressed, and like Norton you can browse the back-up image file and extratct single files from it if needed.

Sadly Symantec, who own Norton for some time now, recently took-over PowerQuest so no new version of DriveImage are available - the last one was 2003 (the technology is supposed to have been integrated into the latest versions of Norton Ghost).

Drive Image does not support Vista and I couldn't get Norton Ghost to work with it either (though some people in support forums say they did manage it).

I now use at home either the built-in ms-backup application which works well though does not offer compression, or this very neat utility which costs $50 USD: http://www.drive-image.com , both allow me to image the Vista PCs to shared storage.

« Last Edit: 13 May 2007, 23:32:54 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2007, 23:50:25 »

As for backup method, I was never in favour of incremental or differential backups... I prefer to get a full backup every time. If you opt for a large storage drive, e.g. 1tb (which is what I have), you should be able to accommodate for several compressed images on it.

Just keep in mind that the backup need to alternate - i.e. you only delete a previous copy once the new one is completed, and not delete the old copy in readiness for the next image... your PC drive could drive half-way through the current backup and you will kick yourself for deleting the old backup....

And yes, I am in the business of thinking what could go wrong and how to avoid it, or as my wife says I am a naturally born pessimist.  :(

Alas, no more Omegas....

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2007, 00:05:46 »

having similarly nearly lost all hard drive data more than once, I go for a two-pronged approach:

1) RAID-1 (ie, mirroring - an identical copy updated all the time) on the PC - this should protect against a single hard drive failure, which seems to be the most common problem. However if the data loss is due to files being deleted and/or a virus, the data will be gone from both drives ... which leads to ...

2) occasional full backup to an external hard drive, I have one of these - which although expensive, would be quicker to back up to and restore from than a network attached device. I've got it set up in RAID-5 mode (which can tolerate a single drive failure) which gives a usable capacity of 750GB - enough for a few backups!! However, it's pretty noisy so you wouldn't want to be leaving it on all the time ...

I think the best option in your case would probably be something like the netgear one you listed, but with the ability to connect directly to a PC for making and restoring backups ...

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2007, 12:14:40 »

I store all my important stuff (images video documents and set up files) away from the operating system on an internal drive. This drive is then mapped to allow the other network pc's to access all the files on that drive. I do not use any back up software. If the O.S. fails, simply reinstall. You have a fresh copy of windows and access remains to the storage drive.

I do not use My Documents on C: but point everything towards the F: drive folders which are organized into Music, Movies, Documents, Images, Setup files and so on.

I also have an excellent piece of software which will recover and repair files. A few years ago, I needed to reinstall windows. I only had 1 drive. I thought I had backed up everything and went ahead to format and reinstall. My back up  disc did not work  :-[ I used this software and it recovered everything that had been deleted during format, all videos, images and documents. I have never lost data through corruption, hardware failure or viruses, only by accidental deletion, which is recoverable.

The only thing I back up now are my firefox profile settings and my outlook settings.
If anybody ever needs to use this recovery software then let me know. It finds everything. It also does digital cameras and memory cards etc  :y    
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2007, 13:10:59 »

But do not forget that after the format if you had started to write new files to the disk, you would not have been able to recover quite so many of them
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2007, 13:51:48 »

..... I think the best option in your case would probably be something like the netgear one you listed, but with the ability to connect directly to a PC for making and restoring backups ...

Thanks for that.  It seems the Netgear SC101 is the best compromise for my needs, balancing initial cost against what I actually want it to do.  As far as I can see, I have the option to either cable connect it to the wireless hub (what I am going to do) or, if needs arise, I can cable connect it to whatever PC requires dire reconstruction.....  

Unless I am missing something quite important??  :-?

Thanks to all for their input thus far.  Its appreciated.   :y

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2007, 18:39:07 »

well from the info on the page you posted a link to, it appears that the netgear SC101 can only be connected via a router - it may require that to provide it a valid IP address. Therefore I'm not sure you could use it to restore a backup of a PC if you had to replace the PC's hard drive ... you might be able to install windows XP and the backup software and restore from that point, though ...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2007, 12:44:14 »

Not sure if you have made a purchase yet, but if not, may be worth reading up on Windows Home Server. This is a new product that I have not yet seen, but sounds interesting, particularly the backing up of attached PCs.

Obviously, it would need a PC on (or in stnadby maybe?) though...
Grumpy old man

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2007, 14:39:02 »

But do not forget that after the format if you had started to write new files to the disk, you would not have been able to recover quite so many of them

I did a full recovery and found all of the files belonging to the previous owner of the drive. This was after 2 years of me owning it :)
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.