Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this correct.  (Read 4852 times)

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Is this correct.
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2021, 21:53:00 »

And is it ok once the crank locking tool has been used to set the crank at TDC and the cam marks are good with the locking tools in each set of cams to fit the belt as per the dvd with the crank locking tool removed from the water pump. :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2021, 22:14:51 »

And is it ok once the crank locking tool has been used to set the crank at TDC and the cam marks are good with the locking tools in each set of cams to fit the belt as per the dvd with the crank locking tool removed from the water pump. :-\

Why would you do that? It's not difficult to move the crank without noticing, and then you'll be chasing your tail.

This is a job that only looks complicated, which makes 'shortcuts' look attractive. Resist the temptation, and get it right.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2021, 23:03:11 »

Yep thanks its just on the dvd the belt was fitted with the crank locking tool removed.I did think any movement from the crank or the belt pulling on the crank from fitment would move the TDC position out from true top dead center.So i take it keeping it locked in to the water pump during removal and refitting is a must.Thanks

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2021, 10:13:00 »

I just get the photobucket login page on all of your links. I can't see any of the photos.

A 2.6 has a lower deflection pulley with no eccentric adjustment, so it's fixed. The backplate for tensioner and upper pully is also different from earlier models. The kit you need is a Contitech CT990K2 or similar. The Gates kit is K035453XS.

You can use the earlier versions of most kits but you will need to adjust the eccentric on the lower idler and swap your existing backplate for the one in the earlier kits. Earlier ContiTech is CT990K1 and Gates is K025453XS. Easy to do.

Here's a Quinton Hazel kit which will suit your car. Albeit with adjustable lower eccentric and the backplate will need to be swapped. At £59 delivered it's a bit of a bargain these days.

I follow this with interest but do not understand everything. So my 2.6 Engine number is 08533230 and both upper and lower idlers are eccentric. Kits I used had those as well. Does this mean that I could use kits with fixed lower idler in the future?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2021, 13:00:34 »

I just get the photobucket login page on all of your links. I can't see any of the photos.

A 2.6 has a lower deflection pulley with no eccentric adjustment, so it's fixed. The backplate for tensioner and upper pully is also different from earlier models. The kit you need is a Contitech CT990K2 or similar. The Gates kit is K035453XS.

You can use the earlier versions of most kits but you will need to adjust the eccentric on the lower idler and swap your existing backplate for the one in the earlier kits. Earlier ContiTech is CT990K1 and Gates is K025453XS. Easy to do.

Here's a Quinton Hazel kit which will suit your car. Albeit with adjustable lower eccentric and the backplate will need to be swapped. At £59 delivered it's a bit of a bargain these days.

I follow this with interest but do not understand everything. So my 2.6 Engine number is 08533230 and both upper and lower idlers are eccentric. Kits I used had those as well. Does this mean that I could use kits with fixed lower idler in the future?

Yes.  Last one I did had, one fixed and one adjustable,  fit belt from crank in anti-clockwise,  use only double white lines,to line belt on crank,ignore all other belt marks, use locking, alignment tools for rest.
Hoof'land storeman.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 March 2021, 16:47:08 »

@polilara

Well now.
Apparently all 2.6 & 3.2 V6 left the Ellesmere Port engine plant with lower idler pulleys without eccentric adjustment fitted. The upper idler pulley on the backplate still has the eccentric adjustment. However the tensioner backplate itself is also revised. The belt itself is identical to the earlier model. They're the parts that the ContiTech CT990K2, or the equivalent Gates, kit contains, as a matched set

However it's possible to swap the tensioner and upper idler from an earlier kit onto the newer backplate. And also to use the lower idler with eccentric adjustment in lieu of the fixed. ContiTech CT990K1 has the adjustable lower idler and an older backplate. As does the Gates equivalent and numerous others.

So it might well be that somebody fitted an earlier kit some time in the past to your engine, maybe even a franchised Opel dealer. Earlier timing kits have typically been cheaper and more readily available.

However Contitech CT990K1 is for engine numbers to 08578511 and yours is 08533230, so it might be that the first Y26SE engines did not have the latest timing kit.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2021, 16:51:12 by Enceladus »

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 March 2021, 17:04:31 »

Right nice one thanks for the input, so would it be best then to fit the belt anti clockwise with the fixed pulley in place if so how do you get the belt on at the other end, just loosen the tensioner i suppose.the kit when it turns up is a gates kit based on the engine number for the later models.Thank any help much appreciated.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 March 2021, 18:08:53 »

Right nice one thanks for the input, so would it be best then to fit the belt anti clockwise with the fixed pulley in place if so how do you get the belt on at the other end, just loosen the tensioner i suppose.the kit when it turns up is a gates kit based on the engine number for the later models.Thank any help much appreciated.

You're focusing on the wrong end; it's fiddlier to fit the belt over the fixed pulley. Fiddlier, but not difficult.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 March 2021, 19:00:59 »

So fit the belt clockwise and not in an anti clockwise fashion. :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 March 2021, 19:18:57 »

Fixed pulley = anticlockwise.

So, in order...

1. Crank (secure with wedge to keep it tight on the crank).
2. Fixed pulley.
3. Cam 4.
4. Cam 3.
5. Adjustable pulley set as per instructions.
6. Cam 2.
7. Cam 1.
8. Tensioner.

Then adjust the adjustable pulley followed by the tensioner.

Remove the locks, rotate crank twice, recheck the tension and cam marks with the tool.

Rotate again and recheck the cam marks.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 March 2021, 20:15:42 »

So fit the belt clockwise and not in an anti clockwise fashion. :-\

No.

But you do have to maintain the tension on the belt as you fit it around the pulley.

Which is fiddly, but not difficult.

If you route the fixed lower pulley clockwise you'll struggle to time either bank.

This will all make sense when you have the bits in your hand.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 March 2021, 20:20:30 »

Perfect thanks mate.I will let you when its done.Because of the fixed pulley setup it doesnt really allow for any adjustment of 3 and 4 i guess the tight run must remain tight to ensure the belts not out i suppose.It had to come off on the old kit the tensioner wasnt loading and unloading which i guess means its must have seized.i just waiting for a water pump and a timing kit its already stripped down with the old belt fully fitted still in place holding it all, ready to fit the new water pump and begin removal and fitting of the new belt.Its sitting at 60 deg before TDC.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 March 2021, 21:47:02 »

Perfect thanks mate.I will let you when its done.Because of the fixed pulley setup it doesnt really allow for any adjustment of 3 and 4 i guess the tight run must remain tight to ensure the belts not out i suppose.It had to come off on the old kit the tensioner wasnt loading and unloading which i guess means its must have seized.i just waiting for a water pump and a timing kit its already stripped down with the old belt fully fitted still in place holding it all, ready to fit the new water pump and begin removal and fitting of the new belt.Its sitting at 60 deg before TDC.

If you have the belt, there's no reason to wait for the pump. Fit the belt, and replace the water pump when it arrives.

I'd be very surprised if the tensioner has seized and not thrown the belt.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 March 2021, 22:51:42 »

Thanks Nick, i dont have either yet so ive been doing some other jobs ,Cleaning breathers, Plenum, throttle body, matrix flush, coil pack changed. Still not sure how i will squeeze the belt on, if im fitting it in an anti clockwise direction, surely when i reach the tensioner it wont be able to push over the flanged lip on it as it will be well tight.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 March 2021, 23:04:55 »

If you want Nick to fit it, you could just ask him ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.