Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this correct.  (Read 4850 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Is this correct.
« Reply #30 on: 11 March 2021, 10:50:04 »

Its a lot easier than it sounds. I got in the same muddle last year when doing mine (because my new kit had the old style backplate and it took me a while to realise), but have a go at it, check your work carefully, and if your not happy dont start the engine until you are.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 March 2021, 18:24:40 »

@polilara

Well now.
Apparently all 2.6 & 3.2 V6 left the Ellesmere Port engine plant with lower idler pulleys without eccentric adjustment fitted. The upper idler pulley on the backplate still has the eccentric adjustment. However the tensioner backplate itself is also revised. The belt itself is identical to the earlier model. They're the parts that the ContiTech CT990K2, or the equivalent Gates, kit contains, as a matched set

However it's possible to swap the tensioner and upper idler from an earlier kit onto the newer backplate. And also to use the lower idler with eccentric adjustment in lieu of the fixed. ContiTech CT990K1 has the adjustable lower idler and an older backplate. As does the Gates equivalent and numerous others.

So it might well be that somebody fitted an earlier kit some time in the past to your engine, maybe even a franchised Opel dealer. Earlier timing kits have typically been cheaper and more readily available.

However Contitech CT990K1 is for engine numbers to 08578511 and yours is 08533230, so it might be that the first Y26SE engines did not have the latest timing kit.

Thanks Enceladus, this is interesting. However, I bought this car in January 2004. It was three years old and had only 45 000 km behind. According to Service History only heater matrix was changed as it leaked. I did the first timing belt change to that engine. Used GM kit 5636385 every time since then. Manufacturing date of the car is Jan 10. 2001 so perhaps "early model" with Y26SE? Pretty soon it will have 300 000 km behind and timing belt to be done as I do it after each 60 000 km. If I go to Contitech CT990K1 does it mean that I have to change the back plate, too. Then if I go to K2 I can use the old back plate? I remember someone here recommended here separate parts two idlers, tensioner and belt. Where to buy those? I would like to make it as cheap as possible this time.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 March 2021, 22:17:47 »

last time i did mine ( 2003 2.6) i bought 2 of the  delco kits on ebay and kept my existing backplate and also used my existing fixed pulley boss for the new pulley .
the backplates shouldnt realy wear out as such( never understood why kits have them ?)
that was 5 years ago and around 5000 miles.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 March 2021, 06:16:06 »

last time i did mine ( 2003 2.6) i bought 2 of the  delco kits on ebay and kept my existing backplate and also used my existing fixed pulley boss for the new pulley .
the backplates shouldnt realy wear out as such( never understood why kits have them ?)
that was 5 years ago and around 5000 miles.
Alas those AC Delco kits are no longer available. And the prices of Continental or Gates kits have risen. The cheapest option available now is to use this Quinton Hazel kit @ £59.09. Equivalent to Continental CT990K1 and Gates K025453XS. The kit includes the eccentric lower idler roller. Swap the upper idler roller and the tensioner onto the existing backplate, if that already fitted is different.

Also ebay are having one of thier promotions. 15% off ending today. Gets the cost nearer to the AC Delcos.

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 March 2021, 17:03:41 »

OK, thanks for all tips.

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #35 on: 16 March 2021, 21:06:01 »

The cheapest option available now is to use this Quinton Hazel kit @ £59.09. Equivalent to Continental CT990K1 and Gates K025453XS. The kit includes the eccentric lower idler roller. Swap the upper idler roller and the tensioner onto the existing backplate, if that already fitted is different.

<Thread hijack apologies> Would that QH belt kit also be good for a '98 3.0 with an 0829* engine number? My notes have it that I'd need a K015453XS or similar, compared to that listing's xref to a K025453XS. I seem to remember reading that a later kit can be used on the earlier engines, but not the other way round...  ???
Nothing better to do ? Visit the blog at cuyahoga.co.uk

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 March 2021, 00:05:04 »

The cheapest option available now is to use this Quinton Hazel kit @ £59.09. Equivalent to Continental CT990K1 and Gates K025453XS. The kit includes the eccentric lower idler roller. Swap the upper idler roller and the tensioner onto the existing backplate, if that already fitted is different.

<Thread hijack apologies> Would that QH belt kit also be good for a '98 3.0 with an 0829* engine number? My notes have it that I'd need a K015453XS or similar, compared to that listing's xref to a K025453XS. I seem to remember reading that a later kit can be used on the earlier engines, but not the other way round...  ???
V6 engine number to 08300418 requires Contitech CT884K1 or Gates K015453XS.
Engine numbers 08300418 to 08578511 need Contitech CT990K1 or Gates K025453XS.
Engine numbers 08578512 onwards need Contitech CT990K2 or Gates K035453XS. These kits have a fix lower idler with no eccentric. These should be mostly 2.6/3.2 engines.

So far as I know you should be able to fit the QH kit to your engine with no issues. Since the backplate is different then swap the new upper idler roller and the tensioner onto the backplate already on the engine. The lower idler with eccentric should be the same. However the spacer washer is likely different. You'll need to work out if you need the new heavier washer or the old thinner washer. Also the corresponding fixing bolt. I think you use the existing washer, Please don't rely on me, check for yourself. Not sure which bolt, so work it out. Between the new kit and the car you will have the correct bolt.

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #37 on: 17 March 2021, 07:54:53 »

:y Thanks for that...

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...
« Reply #38 on: 18 March 2021, 16:07:27 »

As an update for anyone who's still reading and may be interested - the QH kit from the eBay link arrived this morning, shipped direct from Tetrosyl Express (QH's parent) and when opened up has a Gates Powergrip belt and SKF pulleys.  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.