Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: P38 Range Rover advice  (Read 4163 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
P38 Range Rover advice
« on: 27 December 2013, 16:24:35 »

I'm thinking of selling the Omega and buying a W reg 4.0 Range Rover with LPG. I've had a 4.2 LSE Classic about 10 years ago and I don't think there's much difference between them. Anyone got any advice? TIA :y
Retired

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: P38 Range Rover advice
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2013, 16:25:47 »

Oh bugger wrong section, sorry admins ::)
Retired

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2013, 19:03:07 »

I love Range Rover's, but I always shudder at the thought of a P38. I've had 5 or 6, but only passing through. EAS faults and electrical gremlins would be my concern. The 4.0 does seem to be the most robust engine though. I would personally go for a '51' or '02' to preserve as much value as possible. Now that the ropey L322's are £4,000...prices for P38's have dropped.
I've got the Land Rover Microcat system, so if you want to know original build spec, extra's etc, just PM me the VIN  :y

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2013, 20:11:45 »

I had a p38 4.0 with LPG. Scrapped it at 116K, bought the mig and made £150. Beautiful when it worked - mine was a well cared for example bought from a friend. It suffered 3 dropped liners following both head gasket failures so was replaced with a tuned 4.6 then whilst putting it back together suffered a broken gearbox oil pump (clumsy fool of a friend who didn't think to mate the box to the engine, not the engine to the box) and then noticed the dreaded heater o ring seal rearing its ugly head. A dash out job for a 10p seal. at that point I threw in the towel.

I was lucky. The HVAC unit worked in mine which is more than can be said for the rest of the electrics. It's one where you can't ever take the battery out but have to swap batteries with continuous charge as you run the risk of the vehicle going into lock out mode then it has to be towed to a land rover dealer to be reset unless you know a land rover indy with the right programming equipment. Also it'll fail to work at all at some petrol stations and you'll have to push it off the forecourt as the immobiliser works at the same frequency as something on the forecourts, can't remember what. The Land Rover dealer warned me which petrol stations to avoid in the local area when the key transponder failed and he supplied a new one.

Also prodigious rust on the chassis and blistering on the aluminium body panels, particularly the tailgate. On the plus side, it'll go almost anywhere within reason and is not as physically big as it seems. The boot on the mig estate is bigger than the p38 and doesn't have a socking great spare wheel sitting in it as there's a toroidal lpg tank in the wheel well. The mig is also quicker and more economical. 16 on gas 18 on petrol was about average for me. It was rarely used in town, that was mainly m'ways and a-roads.

I miss the v8 woofle and the comfy ride and having a car you climb into. In all other respects I don't miss it at all, and would miss Herman far more - mainly because he works.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2013, 20:16:18 »

you either get a good one or a bad one...thing is most for sale are not the good type, as josh says he shudders at the thought of one and quite rightly so :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2013, 10:23:46 »

Morning all,
I've had my 99 4.6HSE exactly 7 years today. Have spent less in 7 years on it than I did on the last Omega in two.
Mine has never let me down although the central locking is playing up at the moment. I replaced the air springs (£260 for 4) three years ago due to age. New tyres (£120 each-Avons, a new exhaust (£130 complete) and new shocks £60 set of four.

Tow the tin tent with it-Omega 3.0 nearly as good though.

I've been very lucky and must have bought a good one.
Looking to sell in the summer and buy a L322 Supercharged.

Good source of info is Landyzone- although you need a thick skin sometimes!

If you need any other info just ask.

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

belldarr

« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2013, 14:31:39 »

I bought a P38 back in the summer this year and I think it's brilliant - but I have wanted one since they launched in 1994 and was casually browsing ebay one lunchtime at work when I saw one local to me  - popped out to see it and bought it 30 mins later on impluse - I have not regretted it for a moment.

Mine isn't my daily driver but it is my first choice when I leave the house at the weekend as I love the driving position and comfort.

If you are not put off by all the rubbish ones try and get a Thor Engine with the much improved Bosch Ignition system, these were called the "facelift" version that was run from 2000 - 2002, as already said LandyZone is a good source of info on the "range rover" section but they are not as friendly as the peeps on here :)  Also dont get one that has been converted from air suspension to springs as this ruins the ride, most problems are fixable yourself and loads and loads of spares on ebay. 

Try to get one that is unmolested and original - most will have towed and check both sides of the gear selector work as they should - feel the front carpets for damp (matrix o= rings) and it has at least 2 x remote keys.

Darren

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2013, 15:35:46 »

I'm thinking of selling the Omega and buying a W reg 4.0 Range Rover with LPG. I've had a 4.2 LSE Classic about 10 years ago and I don't think there's much difference between them. Anyone got any advice? TIA :y

A local Trader I know picked up a P38 with LPG a couple of years back, phoned me up and said 'your into your LPG's, come and have a look at this one', not really interested was my reply, but he insisted I come and have a look, when I asked why, he said 'Coz its Diesel'  :o 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2013, 15:54:17 »

A local Trader I know picked up a P38 with LPG a couple of years back, phoned me up and said 'your into your LPG's, come and have a look at this one', not really interested was my reply, but he insisted I come and have a look, when I asked why, he said 'Coz its Diesel'  :o

Supposed to boost power and economy I believe :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2013, 17:55:34 »

LPG'ing diesel is possible, but more for a better burn than for economy.
Grumpy old man

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2013, 23:31:44 »

Well I've had 3 of em, and out of them 2 were great 1 was a pig! Had issues with the air-suspension with 2 of them but if you can DIY its easy and is really just basic plumbing. The bags are easy to replace and usually if you look at them you can see where they start to wear / perish, its where they fold under at the corners. If the car is left for a day or so and drops to its bump stops then there is a leak somewhere in the system. If there are leaks then (as I found out) the air-compressor starts to work over-time and overheats &  the piston ring melts. Can get new ring kit on Ebay for £25

Engine wise my 4.6 was lovely but same as the Omega the coolant should be clean and a nice red colour. Both the 4.0 & 4.6 have form for over heating, usually this is due to blocked rads / or water channels. So keeping on top of the coolant is a must. On 2 of mine the nearside bank cylinder head gasket started leaking right at the rear of the engine, apparently this is quite a common place for them to go and a weak spot, so check for any weeps or leaks. 

HEVAC systems can be problematic, blend motors pack up sensors on the AC can go give annoying messages, but again are easily sorted with a bit of know-how.

You can get Hawk-eye (diagnostic kit) for your model if your serious on keeping it and it can read pretty much all of the modules and I found it en valuable just as much as this site http://www.rangerovers.net/index.html

Would I have another?? Oh yeah! too right I would, loved every minute of owning them, excellent tow car and phenomenal off road. Nice ride position, plenty umph & effortless. Much better than an X5 that gets stuck in a grass field  >:(
« Last Edit: 29 December 2013, 23:33:23 by Jasonm »

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2013, 14:33:34 »

Well the bids in so we will have to see what happens ::)

Thanks for the advice everyone :y
Retired

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2013, 18:30:50 »

Rover V8 engine shudder....

Remember the block on the 4.0 and 4.6 is the same.....it's the crank and pistons that differ. I am yet to see an RV8 running on eight cylinders correctly once they have 40k miles on them

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 December 2013, 21:16:39 »

perhaps a trip down south is in order....as I have a v8 running correctly on all 8 of its cylinders and with 92,000 on the clock :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 January 2014, 13:06:26 »

Rover V8 engine shudder....

Remember the block on the 4.0 and 4.6 is the same.....it's the crank and pistons that differ. I am yet to see an RV8 running on eight cylinders correctly once they have 40k miles on them

Mine does,runs superbly :y at 106k
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.